Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newsroom.ie - Citizen Journalism [Feedback Appreciated]

Options
  • 17-08-2005 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Today I made a post on my website about an idea I had for a Citizen Journalism Website - http://www.mulley.net/archives/000598.html

The basic idea is a site that aggregates news stories from local areas in Ireland and displays them on a site. I'd appreciate any feedback people have on this.

All it is now is an idea, nothing more and I have no issue whatsoever with someone ripping it off and doing their own site. Any service out there that allows the average citizen to report on something is good in my books.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Excellent idea. Irish news media is and has for a very long time,been under the influence of politicians and the business community/advertisers in relation too what they can print.

Most journalists would if they could, write the truth about what is happening in our so called Democratic State, but they are stymied. As most media relie's on advertising for income and Editor's edit accordingly.

Even in the UK, the BBC which is funded solely through license fee's has more freedom of expression, Radio 4 and the BBC World service are admired throughout the world precisely because they can and do broadcast the truth.

Unfortunately, here in Ireland even RTE radio and TV who do receive a certain amount from license fee's, also depends on advertising revenue, which has an obvious negative effect on both local & national news reporting ?...

Good idea, and very badly needed.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm not sure if you're talking about an Irish Wikinews, or basically doing what Unison do with the local papers, only with more participation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Isn't that the same kind of concept as Indymedia? Still, competing independent news outlets can only be a good thing - I doubt yours will have the same spin on things as they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement