Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time stamping on video posts?

• 26-04-2021 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I never tried embedding a vid from vimeo/dailymotion etc., but vids via youtube aren't supported with timestamping on boards.ie

Being the most popular site in Ireland (by far) and given that media used to support written post contentions or explanations is commonplace in contemporary virtual dialogue - wouldn't it behoove boards.ie to introduce this feature?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I presume that you are referring to timestamped Youtube links, where you can embed a video that starts and ends at particular timestamps within the video? If I'm misinterpreting your post, please feel free to clarify.

I can't speak to this from any official point of view (I don't have access to the background code), but I imagine that it's because the functionality is baked into the vBulletin text box and how it parses said Youtube links, and that the functionality is quite basic. You type a YouTube link and it appears in a video box, no frills.

I imagine that such a change would require development time, and I believe they are focusing on improving the site as a whole at the moment, rather than fixing niche issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

Tokyo wrote: »
    I presume that you are referring to timestamped Youtube links, where you can embed a video that starts and ends at particular timestamps within the video? If I'm misinterpreting your post, please feel free to clarify.

I can't speak to this from any official point of view (I don't have access to the background code), but I imagine that it's because the functionality is baked into the vBulletin text box and how it parses said Youtube links, and that the functionality is quite basic. You type a YouTube link and it appears in a video box, no frills.

I imagine that such a change would require development time, and I believe they are focusing on improving the site as a whole at the moment, rather than fixing niche issues.

Yes, that's correct.

Surprising to hear as vBulletin considers themselves "world leaders in community software", and even the lowliest sites have this feature.

Plus I understand vBulletin is extremely customizable and provided the administrator has coding basics down, they can easily augment this feature themselves.

In addition isn't there a whole subforum on boards.ie that has an entire demographic of experienced coders?

I could be wrong on the customizable side to things but, yeah I mean this site dwarfs every other national oriented site in terms of traffic, and even small local and regional forums have the timestamping option.

Oh well, cheers for answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

KyussB wrote: »

So just change the "t" to "start", and add "&dud=0" after the number.

Cool.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

KyussB wrote: »
    You can do it this way:
    [noparse]
    [/noparse]

Nice workaround, KyussB. I'll keep that in mind for any future questions on this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement