Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Dav wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I'm back form 2 week's holidays today, only to arrive in and find that an ESB substation has popped somewhere around the South William St area and so we've been sitting here with no internet connection in the office for nearly 4 hours. When it rains, it pours, eh?

OK, so the site has been, to use the technical term, bolloxed. I don't fully know why, but we are obviously investigating as I type. Preliminary investigations suggest that one of our database servers went kaput (we have 3) and then a DDOS attack took a second one out of sync which is why you see notification errors, 404's when you post and basically, most of the problems that've been reported over the last 5 days.

It is obviously our number 1 priority to get all 3 database servers back up and running at full speed and in full synchronisation this afternoon so that the vast bulk of these problems disappear.

I will keep you all posted via this thread as the day goes on - I have a couple of weeks worth of stuff to catch up on, so please bear with me.

Finally, I'm really sorry the site's been such a pain in the arse to use this last week or so, I've been just as frustrated as the rest of you because I've been trying to use it too on my time off. We've dropped the ball and that's not good enough and not how we do things, so again, I'm sorry, but we're trying to put it right as we speak.

No need to apologise like that, I think the vast majority of users on here aren't like an American corporate board !!

boards is a great site thats up 99% of the time ... these things happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Outta curiosity, what's the uptime now?

I think DeV said 99% before The Great Airsoft Merging" that time, but it seems to be buggy alot lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Outta curiosity, what's the uptime now?

I think DeV said 99% before The Great Airsoft Merging" that time, but it seems to be buggy alot lately.

But how do you count uptime? Did it actually go down this time, seems to me it just about hung on.

my3cents wrote: »
    But how do you count uptime? Did it actually go down this time, seems to me it just about hung on.

Ah, you're right.

Better question so....why is their so many problems with the site, in general like, all year??

How far off is the new one now?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Better question so....why is their so many problems with the site, in general like, all year??

Do a Google search for "DDOS attacks increase 2015." General site instability has been a problem across the net in the past year due to a big increase in sites getting attacked and it doesn't look like stopping. I can't imagine boards.ie has been spared from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

nesf wrote: »
    Do a Google search for "DDOS attacks increase 2015." General site instability has been a problem across the net in the past year due to a big increase in sites getting attacked and it doesn't look like stopping. I can't imagine boards.ie has been spared from this.

Who did dav piss off for all the ddos attacks then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I have wanted to put my fist through the wall yesterday reading another Thread where people couldn't stop whinging about it being down. MOTHER OF GOD!!! All the whinging is actually 200% more annoying than not having the use of the fricking Site!!! I went to post something there yesterday or previous day and it was down and I didn't expend my energy going on about it I just went off and did something else fully confident that it would be back when it's back!!

Turn off the Computer for 3 hours people!! Go outside! Talk to a Neighbour. Read a book. Go for a drive. Just do something. JESUS.......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

naughto wrote: »
    Who did dav piss off for all the ddos attacks then?

It's no longer just about pissing off people, it's about me stopping the attack when you pay me. It's become an extortion racket basically.

An article on it: http://www.scmagazineuk.com/dd4bc-are-ddos-attack-driving-force-new-report-claims/article/435234/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,573 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Still acting up a bit today... pages jumping back, posts not appearing until you refresh a few times etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

nesf wrote: »
    It's no longer just about pissing off people, it's about me stopping the attack when you pay me. It's become an extortion racket basically.

An article on it: http://www.scmagazineuk.com/dd4bc-are-ddos-attack-driving-force-new-report-claims/article/435234/

How much did they pay you :confused:

:D

• Advertisement

I have wanted to put my fist through the wall yesterday reading another Thread where people couldn't stop whinging about it being down. MOTHER OF GOD!!! All the whinging is actually 200% more annoying than not having the use of the fricking Site!!! I went to post something there yesterday or previous day and it was down and I didn't expend my energy going on about it I just went off and did something else fully confident that it would be back when it's back!!

Turn off the Computer for 3 hours people!! Go outside! Talk to a Neighbour. Read a book. Go for a drive. Just do something. JESUS.......

Eh, why read them? What are you even posting in here for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Still acting up a bit today... pages jumping back, posts not appearing until you refresh a few times etc...

Hamsters still tired etc. Max Lollers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Caden Broad Fawn

To summarise events
    The Chinchilla was away on his second holiday of the year(you'd think we were in the Celtic tiger).
    While he was away 2 of the 3 hamsters decided to go on strike while the 3rd, conscientious hamster tried to keep things going and couldn't.

The gerbils were nowhere to be seen over the weekend to give the 2 striking rodents a kick start and all we had were a few Guinea pigs saying we shouldnt be voicing our concerns about being forced into the real world and having to interact with people who could give us a clout if we upset them.
    The only solution is to cut Davs salary so he can't afford to go on any more holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Site is acting up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Avatars are missing all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ Just by my CP dropdown and its now working better than before, overall everything is running more smoothly than yesterday and such

possible sidenote on the "Who Posted?" popup, the column for User Name is impractically wide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Overheal wrote: »
    possible sidenote on the "Who Posted?" popup, the column for User Name is impractically wide

Pretty sure it's always been like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

So, assuming this is mostly resolved or on the way to being so, what was it that was actually happening here? Just a bog standard DDoS, or something more - e.g. something that could have messed up server configuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

"OK, so the site has been, to use the technical term, bolloxed."

Guess I've found my new sig :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I've been getting through our backlog of emails and there were a few in today from people who were still having these issues. The monitoring stuff we have here as well as our own use of the site today is suggesting that everything is ok, so I'm checking to see how many of you are experiencing difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Dav wrote: »
    I've been getting through our backlog of emails and there were a few in today from people who were still having these issues. The monitoring stuff we have here as well as our own use of the site today is suggesting that everything is ok, so I'm checking to see how many of you are experiencing difficulties.

For about an hour or so today I was having some of the same issues as I was having over the weekend. Mainly being brought to the same page in a thread over and over (despite clicking to a different page) and new threads not appearing.

If it matters, it was mostly on the "Sys" forums like Feedback and Moderators.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

YLYL thread is bringing me to the same page in a thread over and over. It might be a bug in the matrix though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sometimes when I read the last post in a thread it shows that there's another page, I click on the page but it's the same last post that i've already read... not a major issue obviously but it does mean there's something going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Sometimes when I read the last post in a thread it shows that there's another page, I click on the page but it's the same last post that i've already read... not a major issue obviously but it does mean there's something going on

yeah, getting that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Matthias Jealous Stapler

Followed threads are acting up a bit for me. There's a couple that keep appearing back in the list, neither of them have been posted in in the last four days (and one of them is locked); it was happening with more threads but seems to be just those two now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, thanks folks, that'll be going on the investigation list first thing in the morning for the tech team.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still happening in broadband and comp & tech intermittently. Thanks dav.

Just had a 503 on the touch

... And a 404 when submitting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Caden Broad Fawn

Tried. To quote someone in a reply and it didn't quote!

Also got a 404 and when I went to edit this post got a non existent id

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement