Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Hunt season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Change to the Cheltenham Festival race times, with the last race on each day being at 5:30.
    I can see that causing major problems with the low sun, and don't be surprised if we have hurdles or fences omitted.

Since when is there low sun in March?! I can assure you there will not be hurdles and fences omitted because the last race is now at 5:30, a whole 15 minutes later than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Since when is there low sun in March?! I can assure you there will not be hurdles and fences omitted because the last race is now at 5:30, a whole 15 minutes later than normal.

Are we forgetting the mares races? Annie Power? Shadow at the last?

oPATCHo wrote: »
    Are we forgetting the mares races? Annie Power? Shadow at the last?

Low sun occurs in the middle of winter when the days are short, as the days get longer the sun is higher. It"s an issue for horses because it blurs their vision. If the shadow was the reason Annie fell (unlikely IMO), Annie's vision wasn't blurred, she just thought the shadow needed to be jumped. Consider all the other horses in the race had no such problems, except L'Unique which was probably a tired fall. There can be a shadow there at any time of the day. Low sun is not the issue. So again, there is no worries about fences/hurdles being omitted because the last race is now 5:30 instead of 5:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bury Down The Hatchet

Low sun occurs in the middle of winter when the days are short, as the days get longer the sun is higher. It"s an issue for horses because it blurs their vision. If the shadow was the reason Annie fell (unlikely IMO), Annie's vision wasn't blurred, she just thought the shadow needed to be jumped. Consider all the other horses in the race had no such problems, except L'Unique which was probably a tired fall. There can be a shadow there at any time of the day. Low sun is not the issue. So again, there is now worries about fences/hurdles being omitted because the last race is now 5:30 instead of 5:15.

Glens Melody went too long at the hurdle (probably due to the shadow) too but she pulled out a leg whereas Annie couldn't.

You are right though. It's low sun getting into the eyes of horses rather than shadows at obstacles is what would concerns officials. Low sun won't be an issue in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dickpitt

Has anyone got 10 horses to follow 2015/16 NH season this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

One perhaps for the Christmas Stocking

http://atthefestivalbook.com/

At The Festival casts major new light on the famous 1986, 1989 and 1990 Gold Cups but the Festival experience is about far more than just the Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle, so this book also tells the stories behind an unforgettable duel in the Foxhunter, two Triumph Hurdles, one of the best ever renewals of the Arkle, an Irish hero in the Stayers’ and a triumph for the underdog in the County Hurdle.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

I can't get over the saphir de rheu hype..last season and same again this season..the Brit nicholls band wagon will be truly out in force on Hennessy day!
    Coneygree is an animal. I think the bradstocks are making a mistake running him in the Hennessy but that's their choice. He could hide in and be broken carrying too weight. They should stick the traditional open company routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Yeah Coneygree tested Saphir du Rheu twice last season and he completely cracked on both occasions. He's going to have to step up massively to compete with Vautour, Don't Cossack, Coneygree and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I think if any horse currently in training can match Denmans 170+ Hennessy win then it's Coneygree.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

For anyone who missed todays Racing Post, Willie Mullins went through his yard, horse-by-horse, to tell us how they are and their season targets.
    Here are the highlights:
    Top Chasers
    Un de Sceaux: "..back from his break and in great order...concentrating on good 2m chases"
    Vautour: "..King George as his first main target and make plans from there"
    Sir Des Champs: "..hoping he stays right, hes in great order"
    Djakadam: "..looks good after summer...starts in John Durkan or Lexus at Christmas"
    Don Poli: "Hennessy at Newbury is doubtful...no firm plans but goes for top staying chases"
    Vroum Vroum Mag: "..keep her to mares races as much as possible...likes plenty of ease"
    Boston Bob: "back in the new year to take on top chases"
    Blood Cotil: "..late coming back and start in new year"
    Felix Yonger: "..won Grade 2 chases last season and similar program again"

Top Hurdlers
    Faugheen: "...start in the Morgiana and take it from there"
    Arctic Fire: "..will be campaigned in top races..starts in Hattons Grace or Coral Hurdle"
    Annie Power: "taking on the boys early on and decide later if continue with that or the Grade 1 mares"
    Diakali: "...back in action over Christmas for 2m hurdles"
    Nichols Canyon: "has the pace for the shorter trip (2m)... start in Coral Hurdle or Hattons Grace"

Others
    Douvan: "..hoping he reaches similar level over fences...start off over 2m when hes ready"
    Min: "..by the sire of Douvan..a nice addition to the team"
    Gitane du Berlais: "..a mix of hurdles and chases this term, possibly back to France"
    Killultagh Vic: "should make a nice staying novice chaser"
    Pont Alexandre: "..off since March '13..going over fences and ability to make an impact"
    Valsuer Lido: "...out and out stayer..competitive in good chases"
    Champagne Fever: "..splint problem, dont know when he'll start"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Anything on Limini in that tour?

Anything on Limini in that tour?

"... form of maiden win is great...possible big player in the mares division and the new Dawn Run Novices could be the target"

Thanks for that^ supremenovice. Went into Boylesports earlier to see it and it had been feckin nicked. Just one horse I want to ask you about, sorry to be a pain, Abbyssial?

There was nothing really ground-breaking here to be honest.
    Most notable for me was the fairly luke warm comments on Valseur Lido and Vroum Vroum Mag. I know some around this parish had high hopes for Vroum but I dont think Willie does.
    Also, no mention of Adriana des Mottes, Abbysial or Un Atout so presume they are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Yeah Un Atout is gone for the season

Yeah Un Atout is gone for the season

and Adriana des Mottes retired after getting injured in the RSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

any mention of Pique Sous?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Pique Sous not mentioned.

Sam Twiston Davies said Dodging Bullets was going to the Open meeting next week "but obviously hes not going now".
    Is he injured or whats the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Sam Twiston Davies said Dodging Bullets was going to the Open meeting next week "but obviously hes not going now".
    Is he injured or whats the story?

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/silviniaco-conti-paul-nicholls-kempton-noel-fehily-conti-to-make-surprise-return-over-hurdles-on-monday/1981965/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

Targeted at the Tingle now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Simonsig returns to the track tomorrow.
    2m4f hurdle race at Aintree, Bobs Worth also in it.

Such a shame he got injured for so long, really had the world at his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Shutthefrontdoor running as well tomorrow. Exciting card in Navan on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Has sprinter retired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Cant wait to see Sig, 7/4 is madness for a 9 year old of Hendersons off 3 years.

Hope to God he has retained his ability, an absolute joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Shemale wrote: »
    Cant wait to see Sig, 7/4 is madness for a 9 year old of Hendersons off 3 years.

Hope to God he has retained his ability, an absolute joy to watch.

Is he off 3 years? Simonsig was an aeroplane. Be interesting to see if he retains all of that ability??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

I can't imagine them nursing him along for 3 years if he didn't retain some of his ability. Although Henderson doesn't mind running horses back after injury that don't seem up to their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is he off 3 years? Simonsig was an aeroplane. Be interesting to see if he retains all of that ability??

3 years in March, he last race was the Arkle where he struggled to beat Baily Green.

IIRC all of Hendersons horses were in terrible nick, think Simonsig and Sprinter were his only winners that festival. Had gone to town on Simonsig at 4/1 for the following years CC.

Would be wonderful to have the re-emergence of the Champion Chaser, could be some race if he is back with Un De Sceaux and maybe Vautour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Most of them never come back unfortunately. Simonsig would have to be a lay at the prices, would love to see him show some of his old sparkle but just cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Can't believe he's been off nearly 3 years as well, time is flying!

• Advertisement

Shemale wrote: »
    Had gone to town on Simonsig at 4/1 for the following years CC.

That's interesting, I often wonder if Simonsig and Sprinter Sacre had stayed sound would they have clashed in the QM the following year or what would they have done, who would Barry have ridden? Could Simonsig have beaten a peak Sprinter? Futile of course but anyway. It's a huge shame Simonsig has missed so much but I think he has more a chance of getting back to where he was than Sprinter or Bobs Worth. He's not too old and his problems weren't that serious (AFAIK), just difficult to remedy. Would love to see him back to his best and if he does I'd expect Barry to stay on him for the season. He was and hopefully still is a class animal.

Advertisement