Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Hunt season 2015/16

• 25-09-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

Jezki out for the season. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Disappointing alright.

On the plus side wahey for the proper racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Disappointing to see Jezki out. Would have taken beating over 3m. That will probably force O' Connell to keep Martello Tower over hurdles for season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Any other injury news? Usually the time these stories start appearing. Monbeg Dude the other I can think of thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Oscar Rock was impressive today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Really looking forward to the NH season.

I've just read Mark Howard's book. R Ricci runs through his string in the book and outlines their plans. Faugheen, Vautour go to Kempton at Christmas. Annie Power will likely start in Hatton's Grace and go for either the Mare's or World Hurdle. Djakadam will run in the Lexus and Irish Hennessy. Douvan will target the Arkle.

A lot of talk aswell about a Ricci horse named Min. Currently 20/1 for the Supreme. I've been told he's working the house down in Closutton. Make of it what you will. (Personally, don't think his French results stack up compared to Douvan, Vautour before him). Wait For Me (with Philip Hobbs) is my novice hurdler to keep an eye on.

The RSA should be a cracker this year. Possible field of More Of That, Minella Rocco, Bitofapuzzle, Beat That, No More Heroes, Outlander, Alpha des Obeaux, Arbre de Vie, Aux Ptits Soins. Martello Tower stays hurdling.

Champion Chase is open enough. I'm suspect about Un de Sceaux myself and whether he can maintain/improve his form. Could see Vautour going for the QM. Sizing Granite now 33/1 also one to watch.

My hope for the season is for Annie Power to win at Cheltenham (preferably WH). Really hope she does it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 NFLBettingTips

From what I've heard Vroum Vroum Mag has improved leaps and bounds. Gold Cup is the main target.

Vroum Vroum Mag has to be a cert to turn up in Ryanair (and take all the beating) fitness permitting, given Willie has both Djakadam and Vautour in same colours for Gold Cup. He's not going to throw her into big open staying chases in Ireland so I'd be shocked if she runs in a Gold Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Vroum Vroum Mag has to be a cert to turn up in Ryanair (and take all the beating) fitness permitting, given Willie has both Djakadam and Vautour in same colours for Gold Cup. He's not going to throw her into big open staying chases in Ireland so I'd be shocked if she runs in a Gold Cup.

Would have to agree and Don Poli there from same stable as well.

Gold Cup could be exceptional next year if all get there, the race I am most looking forward to. I am actually getting goosepimples thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

The 3mile chase division is white hot this year. I mean, even Willies contenders on their own is enough to leave one salivating for the big ones this year -
    The Betfair, King George, Lexus etc.
    To name a few of the leading contenders - Coneygree, Vautour, Djakadam, Road to Riches, Valseur Lido, Don Cossack, Don Poli, Silviniaco Conti, Holywell, Sam Winner, Southfield Theatre, Saphir du Rheu.... I CANNOT WAIT!!!!
    I havent even mentioned the veterans like Lord Windermere and The Giant Bolster who are capable on their day.

• Advertisement

The 3mile chase division is white hot this year. I mean, even Willies contenders on their own is enough to leave one salivating for the big ones this year -
    The Betfair, King George, Lexus etc.
    To name a few of the leading contenders - Coneygree, Vautour, Djakadam, Road to Riches, Valseur Lido, Don Cossack, Don Poli, Silviniaco Conti, Holywell, Sam Winner, Southfield Theatre, Saphir du Rheu.... I CANNOT WAIT!!!!
    I havent even mentioned the veterans like Lord Windermere and The Giant Bolster who are capable on their day.

Re Lord Windermere, Wonder how many jocks Culloty will sack during season when he gets lapped like a tricycle in a grand prix! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I must be the only one that sees Vautour more of a 2 mile chaser than a 3miler. He's the best I've seen in a long time and my gut is they should start with the Champion Chase and work up. He looks vastly clear of UDC to my eye but hard to know they may never race together.

As soon as the Arc is over its time to gear up for proper racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭shmeee

A lot of talk aswell about a Ricci horse named Min. Currently 20/1 for the Supreme. I've been told he's working the house down in Closutton. Make of it what you will. (Personally, don't think his French results stack up compared to Douvan, Vautour before him). Wait For Me (with Philip Hobbs) is my novice hurdler to keep an eye on.

Yes, good word around for Min alright.

Ricci also has American Tom & Townshend.

Burgas under the Gigginstown colours.

Mullins has some ammunition again this year with what he has got already. And a heap of nice bumper types.

Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

aidankkk wrote: »
    I must be the only one that sees Vautour more of a 2 mile chaser than a 3miler. He's the best I've seen in a long time and my gut is they should start with the Champion Chase and work up. He looks vastly clear of UDC to my eye but hard to know they may never race together.

ricci is confident he will stay the chelt trip and thats the aim for vautour the gold cup according to his interview in one jump ahead, think djak will go that though and vaitour ryanair myself come march, cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Assuming the ground is not too heavy the King George will probably speak to where he will be aimed at come March. He's got the Champion Chase written all over him but obviously Willie/Ricci want a Gold Cup winner.

I agree that Vautour would definitely beat UDS over 2 miles at Cheltenham in March.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Assuming the ground is not too heavy the King George will probably speak to where he will be aimed at come March. He's got the Champion Chase written all over him but obviously Willie/Ricci want a Gold Cup winner.

I agree that Vautour would definitely beat UDS anyone over 2 miles at Cheltenham in March.

The way he went around the supreme and JLT on rails reeks of Champion Chase to me. I hope they have sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

The way he went around the supreme and JLT on rails reeks of Champion Chase to me. I hope they have sense.

He's such a classy horse they're right to try the Gold Cup route but if he clearly doesn't stay i really hope they revert back to 2 miles for good. Imagine him running in the Ryanair? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Imagine him running in the Ryanair? :eek:

Would be disappointing if he runs in the Ryanair. I actually agreed with WPM last year for running Vautour in the JLT rather than the Arkle. They saw him as a stayer and wanted to avoid keeping him to 2 miles for too long like they did with Champagne Fever. WPM wanted to repay UDS's owners faith in him for skipping last year's Champion Hurdle by winning the Arkle with UDS. UDS's owners may never have another like him, while Ricci owns the current 11/4 Arkle fav.

Where Vautour goes this season is perhaps dependent on how UDS, Djakadam and to a lesser extent Don Poli fare this season. Vautour could win the KG with a 180+ rating and still run in the QM if UDS struggles and Djakadam wins the Lexus/Irish Hennessy.

Vautour to win the QM at 8/1 right now is decent when I have doubts over UDS's durability and WPM has Djakadam, Don Poli, Valseur Lido, Champagne Fever, Vroum Vroum Mag etc. for the Gold Cup. If Vautour lines up in the QM, he is a good thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

Hey lads does anybody know where I can get Declan Phelan's thoughts . Ive seen a few people mention it online but google is no help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Ìt's going to be some season for Mullins alright but hopefully trainers like Elliot, Meade, Harrington etc can bridge the gap a bit. I respect the hell out of Mullins for what he has done but I'd like to see the others have a few nice types stay injury free for the season. They won't be given any freebies but there's been a few stable stars of the mentioned above that have been injured the last couple of years and really hurt connections.

Some horses I'd love to see come back to some form if they are injury free would be Tullow Tank, Defy Logic, Flemenstar and Sir Des Champs. SDS and Flemenstar might be too long in the tooth now but Defy Logic looked a very useful tool when winning the Irish Arkle from Champagne Fever a few years back so I'd love to see him get back on form. There is definitely talent in the Tullow Tank too, it might just be about finding the optimum trip and ground for him.

Elliot had the beating of Mullins in a lot of the bumpers last year and I hope the likes of Tycoon Prince, Jetstream Jack, General Principle etc might be able to challenge Mullins in the Novice hurdling ranks. I think Mullins (without knowing how good his French imports are), might find the novice hurdling ranks difficult this year but he is mob handed in the novice chases and the championship hurdlers and chasers.

Can't wait for it all now but I would love to see a Nolan, Harrington, Meade, Tom Mullins etc etc take down a few big ones this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Looking forward to seeing Moon Racer jump a hurdle i presume he will be going the Supreme Novices.

Also looking forward to Apache Stronghold going to have a small nibble at him for 33/1 for the Ryanair.

Can this thread be pinned towards the top?

Cant wait for it all, im going the betfair chase then doing the week at the festival as per then one day of aintree and ill fly over for punchestown again as thats becoming a yearly thing for me and my mates.

Already had a few antepost on djakadam goldcup 14/1 and douvan arkle

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kalinisi

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Moon Racer jump a hurdle i presume he will be going the Supreme Novices.

Also looking forward to Apache Stronghold going to have a small nibble at him for 33/1 for the Ryanair.

Really looking forward to Apache Stronghold this year. Vantour is a monster could easily be winning from 2-3miles, gold cup could stretch him for stamina but i wouldnt be laying him for it mind.

Wounded Warrior is another one ill be keeping an eye on in staying chases 3miles or further preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Really looking forward to the NH season.

I've just read Mark Howard's book. R Ricci runs through his string in the book and outlines their plans. Faugheen, Vautour go to Kempton at Christmas. Annie Power will likely start in Hatton's Grace and go for either the Mare's or World Hurdle. Djakadam will run in the Lexus and Irish Hennessy. Douvan will target the Arkle.

The RSA should be a cracker this year. Possible field of More Of That, Minella Rocco, Bitofapuzzle, Beat That, No More Heroes, Outlander, Alpha des Obeaux, Arbre de Vie, Aux Ptits Soins. Martello Tower stays hurdling.

Champion Chase is open enough. I'm suspect about Un de Sceaux myself and whether he can maintain/improve his form. Could see Vautour going for the QM. Sizing Granite now 33/1 also one to watch.

My hope for the season is for Annie Power to win at Cheltenham (preferably WH). Really hope she does it.

+1 on that

Min has been cut a fair bit for the supreme the last day from 20/1 to 10/1 in places, i did a small ew at 25/1 last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭shmeee

madmoose wrote: »
    Min has been cut a fair bit for the supreme the last day from 20/1 to 10/1 in places, i did a small ew at 25/1 last month.

The bookies are a joke, the bets that would be going on a bet like such @ 20's wouldn't be massive.

Ante-Post betting is long dead I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Mark Pitman's first runner since renewing his training license runs on Sunday.
    Will be interesting to see how he fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

Drop Out Joe has some favorable conditions tomorrow, he's due to win one soon off that mark. First time cheek-pieces hopefully keep his mind on the job and eradicate any jumping errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Why would sticking to 2 be having sense? Theyre obviously going for the King George and if he wins, or shapes like a stayer there then the obvious route is Gold Cup. Not going for the KG and letting that dictate the future would be unfathomable. I despise when trainers take the easy route and dont even try a chaser bred for further at what is the most prestigious and valuable distance we have. Moscow Flyer for example had a great career at 2, but could have been a Gold Cup horse. King George looked made for him at the very least and it was silly not to give him 1 attempt at the race, especially considering the relative prize money. Had Nicholls done the "smart thing" and kept Kauto Star at 2m, we'd never have seen his true greatness

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why would sticking to 2 be having sense? Theyre obviously going for the King George and if he wins, or shapes like a stayer there then the obvious route is Gold Cup. Not going for the KG and letting that dictate the future would be unfathomable. I despise when trainers take the easy route and dont even try a chaser bred for further at what is the most prestigious and valuable distance we have. Moscow Flyer for example had a great career at 2, but could have been a Gold Cup horse. King George looked made for him at the very least and it was silly not to give him 1 attempt at the race, especially considering the relative prize money. Had Nicholls done the "smart thing" and kept Kauto Star at 2m, we'd never have seen his true greatness

I think your misunderstanding me, i think he looks like a superb 2 miles chaser. I think he should start there more or less like kayto star. I don't think he should go gold cup this year, but believe me ill be cheering him on if he does. I also think the 2 mile Champion Chase and the Gold cup are the same level, its not the ryanair which is obviously level 2. My idea of what id love to see id 2m CC this year, king george next and then on-wards and upwards. To my eye a haven't seen better and id love to see him flying around the CC next year.

Advertisement