Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst tipster in the history of the world

• 18-11-2015 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Lads has anyone been following Richard Birch's banker of the day that's on the RP app. It beggars belief that this fella is being paid for his tips I honestly have seen one winner in all the times I remember to check the results. Have never seen him tip anything bar a fav. People must make a killing laying him but I can't find a track record of the selections anywhere. Always thought he looked like a pure geek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

I read tom segal is minus 120 this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Havnt seen enough of him to say hes the worst but its fairly pathetic alright.

Don't think we'll see one as bad as (the late) kieran o connell of the star. Granted most of it was in aid of charity and he did great things for fundraising but he picked the forecast fav in every race at every meeting everyday, it doesn't get worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Derek Thompson is in a league of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hugh Taylor on ATR is the best I know

ShaneU wrote: »
    Hugh Taylor on ATR is the best I know

He is brilliant but its a shame you can never get the prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭kksaints

Lads has anyone been following Richard Birch's banker of the day that's on the RP app. It beggars belief that this fella is being paid for his tips I honestly have seen one winner in all the times I remember to check the results. Have never seen him tip anything bar a fav. People must make a killing laying him but I can't find a track record of the selections anywhere. Always thought he looked like a pure geek

I always thought he was the Greyhound tipster, certainly a few years ago his articles seemed more greyhound orientated than horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

madmoose wrote: »

http://www.bettingtools.co.uk/tipster-table/tipsters/pricewise/23

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Graham Cunningham from C4 racing is brutal..good insight but couldn't pick his nose it's getting funny at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Tony O Hehir. As well as being a brutal commentator his tips in the RP are shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Never pay attention to the charity bets given out on the Morning Line. If they were betting with real money they would be in the poorhouse at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

He had 34 losers in a row in Sept-Oct so he has certainly lost his mojo this year! My theory on this is that The RP is asking him for selections in 4 or 5 races on Saturdays now (he used to only have 2-3 tips) and he is spreading himself too thin. I would still highly respect his opinion however and always have a second look at his tips.

Richard Birch seems to target low-grade handicaps, which are of no interest to me. I read his articles in The RP but never back his tips. His rationale often seems flawed to me i.e looking at form from 3 years ago and assuming the horse can still run to this even though it has 30 duck-eggs since then and has dropped 30lbs in the ratings. Having said that, based on his articles, he seems to be a successful and astute punter.

I would respect the opinions of both Hugh Taylor and Donn Mclean. Obviously, the "tips" of most newspaper tipsters are a waste of time - if you a looking for a "worst" tipster, that is the place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

That wouldn't surprise me, I used to always check his selections but he seems to have gone off the rails the last few years. I even heard him give 4 horses in the champion hurdle one year when there were less than 10 runners, one in the antepost market, another in a preview, a third selection at the Galway preview a week before the race and another selection on the day of the race! That's when he lost some credibility for me. Seems a bit scattered and cannot focus like he used to.

Alex hammond is dire aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Its the Channel 4 effect, he was brilliant until he was on it every week.

Everyone who was ever on Channel 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

abarkie wrote: »

Cheers for posting this link. I'm using the tipsters that have the best Hit rate (as opposed to profit) Andy Holding for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Not sure how his profit/loss works out, but Ed Quigley rarely, if ever, tips a winner. Granted he goes as "Longshot" in the Racing Post, but I've never really understood why a tipster should limit himself to tipping just outsiders. Successful betting is all about interpreting what's value and what's not. If you reckon an 11/10 shot should be a 1/2 shot, then the 11/10 is value. If you reckon a 10/1 shot should be double those odds, then the 10/1 on offer is skinny. Employing somebody to tip outsiders for the sake of tipping outsiders is fairly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

The Donn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Paul Merson

• Not sure how his profit/loss works out, but Ed Quigley rarely, if ever, tips a winner. Granted he goes as "Longshot" in the Racing Post, but I've never really understood why a tipster should limit himself to tipping just outsiders. Successful betting is all about interpreting what's value and what's not. If you reckon an 11/10 shot should be a 1/2 shot, then the 11/10 is value. If you reckon a 10/1 shot should be double those odds, then the 10/1 on offer is skinny. Employing somebody to tip outsiders for the sake of tipping outsiders is fairly pointless.

Some of the criticism is unfair. Most tipsters have a job to do and they have to do it even if that means going against their judgement.

Longshot or Pricewise are good examples - Tom Segal might be convinced the fav is going to win a big handicap on Saturday but he can't tip it. He has to find something more obscure - that's his job. You have to read between the lines sometimes to figure out what they really believe rather than just assume they tip everything with equal confidence.

I once had a conversation with a high profile tipster who bemoaned the requirement to provide a 'tip' for every race at the festival when all but three or four of them were a 'no bet' for him.

All that said I don't pay too much attention to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Alex hammond is dire aswell

Sure she works for SkySports/SkyBet - She's gonna be giving dud bets constantly.

I think Brian Gleeson is excellent. I'm not aware of tipping that he does but his insight is great. I'd trust his opinion over most others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So who's decent then? Anyone who's not on ch4 by the sounds of it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Gary nutting does good anti post bets
    He tipped annacotty to win the paddy power weeks before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Pricewise has an unbelievably good long term record. His loosing streak at the moment is just pure maths. Tipping longer priced horse can result in a huge loosing streaks. Its possible to have any number of 20/1 shots that are value (having at 16/1 chance of winning) is an row that don't come in. The longterm in these type of bets runs into the thousands before the luck factor can be leveled out.

I remember in one of my 100 bet treads being down about 80 points with 20 bets left and getting it all back and more in 1 week. HE could easily pick 2 or 3 winners and be in profit for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

aidankkk wrote: »
    HE could easily pick 2 or 3 winners and be in profit for the year.

I am happy to predict he won't be in profit from now to 31/12/2015.

He has lost his way.

Five Saturdays before the end of the year and I will say that only 1 week will show a profit.

Do you have a prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ben linfoot can be good in the sporting life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tom Segal might be convinced the fav is going to win a big handicap on Saturday but he can't tip it.

I'd agree with you, apart from the fact that he's tipped numerous favourites in the past three months. They were favourites before he tipped them too, so it wasn't down to his followers lumping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Richard's 5/1 shot beaten a mere 30 lengths yesterday. Indian Voyage the one to receive the curse of the virgin today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JimJonesJunior

Best by a mile is Frank on twitter @bettingforum316. I have been with him for 4 months, up over 300 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sure she works for SkySports/SkyBet - She's gonna be giving dud bets constantly.

I think Brian Gleeson is excellent. I'm not aware of tipping that he does but his insight is great. I'd trust his opinion over most others.

ffs brian gleeson is as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

an absolute crow of the worst kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'd agree with you, apart from the fact that he's tipped numerous favourites in the past three months. They were favourites before he tipped them too, so it wasn't down to his followers lumping on.

Another one today.
    He's just gotten lazy if you ask me.

Advertisement