Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2020, 09:28   #16
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artane2002 View Post
We're thinking of going on holidays in late December/early January, the last time we did that was 2010 so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a 2010 repeat this year
Here's hoping we do get a repeat of 2010. With everything pointer towards a cooler than average end to August is this a sign of things to come or no baring at all really?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2020, 09:41   #17
Harry Palmr

I thought we'd just had Winter 20/21
25-08-2020, 09:54   #18
Reckless Abandonment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
I thought we'd just had Winter 20/21
100%
my prediction is that winter will just be a slightly colder version of what we've had all "summer"
Thanks from:
25-08-2020, 13:43   #19
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
I don't think this coming winter will be anything special but I do think we may have something a bit more seasonal this year compared to the past 2 years where Winter completely avoided us altogether. Hopefully the Polar Vortex won't be as intense as it was last winter which completely ruined Winter not just for Ireland but for much of northern Europe as well.

A friend living in southern Sweden said to me he saw barely any snow last winter compared to other years which is very unusual for them.
25-08-2020, 15:24   #20
nacho libre

Well if there is a lag between low sunspot activity and its effects on our weather, then hopefully this Winter will end up being a good one.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2020, 15:45   #21
Graces7

Well. I was strongly urged by someone who is usually wise to start buying coal weeks ago against the winter so am getting a 20 kg bag with every grocery delivery..... That is before my usual island turf purchase.

Be prepared for ANYTHING the way the weather is this year.
25-08-2020, 16:32   #22
piplip87

Took on the marketing of a fire protection client last week. Turns out he stocked up on rock salt after the beast as he reckoned last winter would be bad..... I hope to jaysus we get a cold start to winter
25-08-2020, 16:36   #23
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal Storm View Post
Leaves have been brown all "summer" in Donegal after multiple winter storms in May and June and the constant rain and lack of sunshine thereafter.
What storms? April and May had brilliant weather, June a bit wet,July ok, first week of August had temperatures in the mid 20s , there was a bit of rain last week and today is wet but nothing major
25-08-2020, 17:49   #24
bazlers

Nobody knows what winter is going to be like. We struggle 5 days in advance with any great accuracy.
Hopefully a few good snowy days around the christmas period.
Advertisement
25-08-2020, 17:49   #25
SeaBreezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomViewer View Post
What storms? April and May had brilliant weather, June a bit wet,July ok, first week of August had temperatures in the mid 20s , there was a bit of rain last week and today is wet but nothing major
Leaves were burnt here too (south west) with the cold wind last 2 weeks april first 2 weeks may.

All the same (windward) side they didnt recover all summer.

Its a thing. Cant remember the name (scairbhin?)

Can someone help me out?
Thanks from:
25-08-2020, 21:01   #26
anacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreezes View Post
Leaves were burnt here too (south west) with the cold wind last 2 weeks april first 2 weeks may.

Can someone help me out?
Yep. Destroyed the begonias, so it did.
Thanks from:
25-08-2020, 22:53   #27
spoonerhead

Finally the one weather thread I can get behind!

Very poor summer showing in Dublin, despite a good long stretch of settled weather in spring the temperatures stayed below average and it felt it. Did manage to fit my only staycation of the summer in Leitrim two weeks back and caught beautiful weather, but otherwise laughably bad in Dublin.

If I’d guess and from what I’ve read, we could have an autumn packed with storms. I’d reckon most forecasters will go for an Atlantic dominated winter. Still holding out hope for a massive event or even a long dry spell with consistent frosty mornings, they’ve been few and far between last two winters.

Here’s to blind faith
26-08-2020, 10:45   #28
Billcarson

I'm hopeful this winter could be a good one for cold lovers. For the last number of yrs I have thought that the early 2020s might deliver some good cold spells due to the solar minimum, as we start to come out on the other side of the solar minimum.
Thanks from:
26-08-2020, 13:56   #29
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Will be interesting to see how poorly does the GFS forecast cold and snow this winter. That GFS over the past year has performed fairly poorly and not as reliable as previous versions of the GFS. We now have a new GFS parallel ensemble run chart to compare with the GFS operational so will be interesting to compare the two this winter.

Current GFS Operational ensembles:

The new GFS Parallel ensembles:
26-08-2020, 14:39   #30
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreezes View Post

Can someone help me out?
I'm right on the coast, lawn and flowers grew like mad, greenest I've seen them
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion