Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternatives to school tours

Options
  • 07-05-2021 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have responsibility of organising some activities for the first year students to celebrate the end of the school year. In the absence of a school tour, has anyone any ideas for things we could do on site? Would prefer something other than a DVD. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Table quiz.

Usual for a few rounds, then for two rounds, get teachers to submit photos of themselves as babies and of their bookshelves.

The students have to guess which teacher it is. Big plus that weaker kids have as good a chance as the rest in those two rounds.

Judicious mixing of students on tables to level abilities, break up cliques etc. can be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

spurious wrote: »
    Table quiz.

Usual for a few rounds, then for two rounds, get teachers to submit photos of themselves as babies and of their bookshelves.

The students have to guess which teacher it is. Big plus that weaker kids have as good a chance as the rest in those two rounds.

Judicious mixing of students on tables to level abilities, break up cliques etc. can be applied.

Thanks for that- is it possible to do a table quiz during covid?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose it depends how big a group you have and the size of the room.

They could be silent during it, rather than whispering answers, then they could sit further apart and write their suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Don't attempt anything that in any way will breach the covid protocols in place.

We all would like to mark the end of the year with doing some "fun" stuff but if you were to cause an outbreak in your school by deviating from the current guidance, and some 6th years couldn't sit exams you would be in severe hot water.

Don't attempt anything that in any way will breach the covid protocols in place.

We all would like to mark the end of the year with doing some "fun" stuff but if you were to cause an outbreak in your school by deviating from the current guidance, and some 6th years couldn't sit exams you would be in severe hot water.

That's what I was thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

What about a sports day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Kahoot. Can use their own devices and keep a distance.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Kahoot. Can use their own devices and keep a distance.

Kahoot broke :) That's what I tell my students anyway! I would like something that would last the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Kahoot broke :) That's what I tell my students anyway! I would like something that would last the day.

Sports day? Outside

Focus on activities where they keep their distance?

Have a leaderboard across activities

Enlist help of older trusted students?

I'm think8ng novelty type stuff like egga and spoon race, obstacle course, penalty kicks if ball wiped and placed by same volunteer (although that's a pain), maybe burpees etc

Rotate them around, something small for all at the end or Divide them into balanced teams ...each team wears a specific colour (that's easily got) ...get the more mathematical volunteers to add up the scores and tot them up to determine winning team to give them something to play for....

Realistically anything that's going to take a day is going to have to be more than one activity or will have to be a collection of activities like that.......main problem with that assuming you get buy in is the weather needs to play ball or the group needs to fit easily into a gym (assuming of course you have a gym)

Advertisement