Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damaged Consumer Purchase Returns

Options
  • 04-05-2021 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭

Last week I made two separate orders for two pairs of designer sunglasses from a well known high street retailer, a pharmacy too...

One a gift for my girlfriend, one a gift for me.

Hers arrived first as ordered first... but they arrived loose in a big box about 12 inches long and 3 inches deep..also no case, no cover. :rolleyes:

Inside the glasses were not braced to prevent movement during transport , they were not in a case of any kind, just in a single ply paper thin cardboard wrap around thing.

On removing the glasses, I noted the lenses were completely covered, caked in in dust. There was also a minute scratch / graze on one corner of the fame that fair enough I’d have probably missed unless I went looking for it but still.

I emailed them through their complaints section on website, a friendly, courteous breakdown of the problem...

They emailed back and finished off the correspondence by stating...
    If you return the faultt item to us, we can arrange a refund or replacement.

You can return your item to any Xxxxx Ireland store, just take along your order number to help our store team process your return.

Alternatively, you can return the items via any Post Office. Simply, print off a returns note from wwwwww.

So in a pandemic, because xxxxx pharmacy can’t be bothered packaging purchases sufficiently or checking purchases to ensure they are damage and dirt free on dispatch to their paying customer.. I’m to be going to their shop or a post office during a pandemic to sort their mess ?

Having told them this via email in slightly more civil terms, i receive a call, from the UK, number hidden... a scorpy wagon of a manager... asking me again to action the return to my local store/pharmacy where I purchased them ( they were purchased online) and she would send a replacement on receipt of them...

I refused as basically I’ve no interest in making non essential trips to crowded places I don’t need to be, all as a result of a retailer whom I paid money to provide a new and damage / dirt free product, failing to do so....

I’m interested to hear have there been any similar scenarios with stuff people have purchased as regards, how diligent and mindful of the health scenario businesses have been when THEY fûck up....also what onus is on shops to react to complaints, I’d have been happy to send photos etc but not head into them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Everything I have bought online have been nicely wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And now an email from another manager, they are just sending a replacement and will ensure they are sufficiently packed and feedback will be sent yadda yadda,

Thanks for doing your job...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Strumms wrote: »
    And now an email from another manager, they are just sending a replacement and will ensure they are sufficiently packed and feedback will be sent yadda yadda,

That's actually very decent of them. They didn't need to do that when you refused to return the item to either a shop or by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

thanks for going above their statutory obligations might be in order.

you are right be be ticked off at the lack of care shown in the 1st instance. no ifs and no buts.

you should be grateful that they went above the minimum requirement, of insisting you returned the sunglasses before issuing a refund. In addition they thanked you for your feedback, and im sure they will look at their processes and see if someone needs more training etc.

i get the feeling your not grateful at all. and that's fine. i would like to know the name of the store because i personally would shop there. Any shop can make a mistake, but in my experience the really good ones put their mistakes right - and that's exactly what they have done here.

thanks for going above their statutory obligations might be in order.

you are right be be ticked off at the lack of care shown in the 1st instance. no ifs and no buts.

you should be grateful that they went above the minimum requirement, of insisting you returned the sunglasses before issuing a refund. In addition they thanked you for your feedback, and im sure they will look at their processes and see if someone needs more training etc.

i get the feeling your not grateful at all. and that's fine. i would like to know the name of the store because i personally would shop there. Any shop can make a mistake, but in my experience the really good ones put their mistakes right - and that's exactly what they have done here.

Their obligation is to provide me with the goods which I paid for in perfect damage and contamination free condition. They were quick enough to debit my card for payment but obviously not diligent enough to ensure that their processes for packaging, dispatch and the management and verification thereof were being suitably, accurately and responsibly done. That’s on them... I’m not swanning about making trips I shouldn’t need to make and talking to people in a pandemic on the back of their employees and indeed management, failing to discharge their duties to their customers....

The small loss they will endure can hopefully be an indication to them to up their performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Their obligation is to provide me with the goods which I paid for in perfect damage and contamination free condition. They were quick enough to debit my card for payment but obviously not diligent enough to ensure that their processes for packaging, dispatch and the management and verification thereof were being suitably, accurately and responsibly done. That’s on them... I’m not swanning about making trips I shouldn’t need to make and talking to people in a pandemic on the back of their employees and indeed management, failing to discharge their duties to their customers....

The small loss they will endure can hopefully be an indication to them to up their performance.

If you don’t bring/send back the goods, how are they to know they were damaged and you aren’t some chancer trying to claim for a replacement? Like others, I believe the seller was impressive in the way they handled it despite your obstinence.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

I actually agree with the op if he wanted to go to a shop he would have went but he went with the online shopping experience that this particular shop offered
    If the shops online shop is not up to scratch then don't have one
    Just my opinion

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you don’t bring/send back the goods, how are they to know they were damaged and you aren’t some chancer trying to claim for a replacement? Like others, I believe the seller was impressive in the way they handled it despite your abstinence.

Because I have taken photos of the glasses in the packaging, outside of the packaging but beside the packaging, including the lens contamination and small scratch on frame ... having done some googling, a glasses sleeve / pouch can be purchased for 2 euros on amazon by the public, I guess about a euro to a business ordering many, I’d imagine the public would be glad to incur said minimal extra cost if it enabled them to get the product they ordered in proper undamaged / uncontaminated condition. As well as saving the hassle of communicating with corporate neanderthals who think initially the onus should be on the inconvenienced customer to engage themselves in further inconvenience and cost to obtain a product in perfect condition that they should already have.

Because I have taken photos of the glasses in the packaging, outside of the packaging but beside the packaging, including the lens contamination and small scratch on frame ... having done some googling, a glasses sleeve / pouch can be purchased for 2 euros on amazon by the public, I guess about a euro to a business ordering many, I’d imagine the public would be glad to incur said minimal extra cost if it enabled them to get the product they ordered in proper undamaged / uncontaminated condition. As well as saving the hassle of communicating with corporate neanderthals who think initially the onus should be on the inconvenienced customer to engage themselves in further inconvenience and cost to obtain a product in perfect condition that they should already have.

A chancer could just do all of this, or could have dropped them after unwrapping. The shop has a right to see the product before refunding/replacement, they didn’t, which is to their credit, they took you at your word.

A chancer could just do all of this, or could have dropped them after unwrapping. The shop has a right to see the product before refunding/replacement, they didn’t, which is to their credit, they took you at your word.

A chancer ‘could’ have hypothetically, but if we are dealing in facts, a little in house investigating informs them the company that employs them are sending glasses to customers as I described in boxes without proper care to ensure the product is properly packaged and free of contamination...

I ‘could’ have seen that and pulled a fast one but you have invested ‘cents’ in properly packaging it, you don’t run this risk. Glasses sleeves retail for about one euro, bubble wrap and other packing absorption costs nada.

Non pandemic that would have been straightforward to head in there I pass a shop a couple of times a week but seeing as I’m somebody with a health condition all be it improving to almost fixed I’m not going to be going swanning into Xyz shop to contribute to sorting a problem that is not of my making.

Deliver my purchase, clean and undamaged, zero issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Op, you threw a strop. Not a nice way to deal with people.

If you bothered to check the options they gave you, the an post option allows you have the item collected.

And then your "catastrophe syndrome" (look it up) comments about pandemic and crowded shops is just way way over the top.

Yes they made an error, but no need to be a nasty little b to them

Darc19 wrote: »
    Op, you threw a strop. Not a nice way to deal with people.

If you bothered to check the options they gave you, the an post option allows you have the item collected.

And then your "catastrophe syndrome" (look it up) comments about pandemic and crowded shops is just way way over the top.

Yes they made an error, but no need to be a nasty little b to them

I did check the options. There was ZERO option to organize a collection. Where are you reading that ? If I’m to do that myself I’m not paying my cash to an post and have to fill out paperwork and deal with a courier and associated paperwork during a pandemic.

I didn’t throw a strop. ;) I simply highlighted a problem as a consumer and subsequently stood up for myself. Catastrophe syndrome ? no need to look it up thanks. Buying an item, received item damaged and dirty, not a catastrophe but requires solving in good faith.

I attempted to engage with them in a courteous and respectful manner... I was more blunt and to the point certainly when they became less professional, difficult and smart arsed.... Believing that even though they caused the problem, I was going to be the catalyst in solving it.

The problem was of their making, I highlighted it to them... not up to me to go rambling into their store or post office during a pandemic...to assist them in being a responsible retailer...

My only contract is to have paid them for x items and receive them in perfect condition.. they’ve been paid, they’ve not delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I did check the options. There was ZERO option to organize a collection. Where are you reading that ? If I’m to do that myself I’m not paying my cash to an post and have to fill out paperwork and deal with a courier and associated paperwork during a pandemic.

I didn’t throw a strop. ;) I simply highlighted a problem as a consumer and subsequently stood up for myself. Catastrophe syndrome ? no need to look it up thanks. Buying an item, received item damaged and dirty, not a catastrophe but requires solving in good faith.

I attempted to engage with them in a courteous and respectful manner... I was more blunt and to the point certainly when they became less professional, difficult and smart arsed.... Believing that even though they caused the problem, I was going to be the catalyst in solving it.

The problem was of their making, I highlighted it to them... not up to me to go rambling into their store or post office during a pandemic...to assist them in being a responsible retailer...

My only contract is to have paid them for x items and receive them in perfect condition.. they’ve been paid, they’ve not delivered.

No offence but you really over reacted. You will have issues with online purchases form time to time and returning goods is a norm if only due to sizing or damage in transit. Dropping it into a store takes 2 minutes and is less risk than buying the daily newspaper. The post offices are safe and well run, hardly running a gauntlet to drop a package in.
    We have been extremely careful through this but can drop a package in a shop if needs must.
    That seller went way beyond what they had to do and deserve credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Sellers have a responsibility to ensure their products are received in good condition by their customer. The customer should not be inconvenienced in order to receive the service they paid for.

That said, shít happens and as the OP says, we are in a pandemic with many businesses short staffed, short stocked and short of packaging in many cases. The OP was well within his right to demand a to the door service, but was that reasonable? Yes, if the OP has been cocooning to prevent becoming ill. No, if the OP goes out grocery shopping and has a local Post Office.

It goes to show that if your neck is hard enough, you get free stuff too.

Stay Free

Sellers have a responsibility to ensure their products are received in good condition by their customer. The customer should not be inconvenienced in order to receive the service they paid for.

That said, shít happens and as the OP says, we are in a pandemic with many businesses short staffed, short stocked and short of packaging in many cases. The OP was well within his right to demand a to the door service, but was that reasonable? Yes, if the OP has been cocooning to prevent becoming ill. No, if the OP goes out grocery shopping and has a local Post Office.

It goes to show that if your neck is hard enough, you get free stuff too.

Sometimes stuff gets damaged in transit, no biggie, just bring it/send it back and get a refund. This seller didn’t even require the item to be sent back, just took the buyer at his/her word, that’s good customer service, deserving of a good review.

However, a buyer who states on principle that he will not send/give the item back before demanding a replacement/refund deserves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Sometimes stuff gets damaged in transit, no biggie, just bring it/send it back and get a refund. This seller didn’t even require the item to be sent back, just took the buyer at his/her word, that’s good customer service, deserving of a good review.

However, a buyer who states on principle that he will not send/give the item back before demanding a replacement/refund deserves nothing.

Yeah. I'd love to know the company he used, because I would shop there in a second.

Stay Free

It’s a biggie.

Why do you think it’s not ? :)

The damage / contamination didn’t occur due to an accident... it occurred because of negligence on behalf of the business, ie. failure to ensure adequate packaging of said eyewear product which led to it being delivered damaged and contaminated. :). Proper packaging plus proper handling = no damage, customer is satisfied...

I’m not making non essential trips during a pandemic to help right the mistake of a business who can’t even deliver a pair of glasses without issue. :)

Advertisement