Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monitoring service for self installed alarm (AJAX)

• 30-04-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am debating between going with Homesecure or a self install for the AJAX system.

It would be much better value to go with the self install of course but interested to know if there is a company that offers monitoring on self installed alarm?

Homesecure only provide monitoring for the alarm they installed themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

ustari wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am debating between going with Homesecure or a self install for the AJAX system.

It would be much better value to go with the self install of course but interested to know if there is a company that offers monitoring on self installed alarm?

Homesecure only provide monitoring for the alarm they installed themselves.

For monitoring through a 24hr monitoring station you would need to use Home Secure although with them been sold to Sector alarms that could all change in the future.

Self monitoring can be set up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

altor wrote: »
    For monitoring through a 24hr monitoring station you would need to use Home Secure although with them been sold to Sector alarms that could all change in the future.

Self monitoring can be set up yourself.

Is it always an either/or situation though?

I think that a system has to be certified by a professional installer so that it can be "adopted" by a monitoring station. But can an installer carry out some sort of audit on a system they didn't install so that it can then be certified? If this can happen, it should not be an issue from a regulatory point of view that's it's self-installed, as such an installation is allowed pursuant to the regs.

Of course, the obvious commercial issue is that installers won't want to certify/audit self installed systems as they may perceive that they are doing themselves out of business.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Is it always an either/or situation though?

I think that a system has to be certified by a professional installer so that it can be "adopted" by a monitoring station. But can an installer carry out some sort of audit on a system they didn't install so that it can then be certified? If this can happen, it should not be an issue from a regulatory point of view that's it's self-installed, as such an installation is allowed pursuant to the regs.

Of course, the obvious commercial issue is that installers won't want to certify/audit self installed systems as they may perceive that they are doing themselves out of business.

Yes, if a system is to be monitored by a 24hr monitoring station then it needs to be done through a certified installer, no two ways about that.

That would be as you say up to an installer as it is him certifying the alarm system to grade 2 or above.

They are also putting a monitored alarm through their books which brings in revenue so you can look at it that way also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

altor wrote: »
    Yes, if a system is to be monitored by a 24hr monitoring station then it needs to be done through a certified installer, no two ways about that.

That would be as you say up to an installer as it is him certifying the alarm system to grade 2 or above.

They are also putting a monitored alarm through their books which brings in revenue so you can look at it that way also.

Interesting, thanks. Would you know if there are any certified installers out there willing to do this? Surely when they "take over" an existing system, they need to carry out an audit? I can't see how this would be any different.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks. Would you know if there are any certified installers out there willing to do this? Surely when they "take over" an existing system, they need to carry out an audit? I can't see how this would be any different.

I don't but no harm asking local installers if that is what you require.
    They need to check everything to make sure its installed to standards so can be more work than installing a new system in most cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement