Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travelling to the UK from Ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

theguzman wrote: »
    London to Belfast is a UK internal flight so no covid test needed.

yep this is correct.

No test required if you fly from Dublin to the UK too.

I flew into Belfast City (BHD) two weeks ago, took a taxi to Lanyon Station in Belfast and was down in Dublin 2 and a bit hours later, no checks and waltzed out of Connolly Station a free man.

have done it several times, no hassle, no queues, and no expensive PCR tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Portlaoise Pictures

Does that mean that you can travel as in pre-Covid times? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I flew into Belfast City (BHD) two weeks ago, took a taxi to Lanyon Station in Belfast and was down in Dublin 2 and a bit hours later, no checks and waltzed out of Connolly Station a free man.

Did you quarantine/isolate after you got back?
    Asking for a friend
    Most people will not travel as they like to abide by public health guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wisjoc

Has anyone travelled by car from Belfast or Larne on the ferry to Scotland and whether you need to produce a negative test before getting on the ferry? I thought maybe the Irish registration might invoke some questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭patscott27

I got enterprise train to Drogheda on Monday. Asked lady who works on it are guards or psni coming on board the train to Belfast. She said not in the last few weeks. Very rarely even before that. My worry is that if you don't have an essential reason to travel from Dublin the guards will issue fines at Dublin Airport. Also what is the story in Belfast airport? Are they checking if you are travelling for an essential reason before boarding?

patscott27 wrote: »
    I got enterprise train to Drogheda on Monday. Asked lady who works on it are guards or psni coming on board the train to Belfast. She said not in the last few weeks. Very rarely even before that. My worry is that if you don't have an essential reason to travel from Dublin the guards will issue fines at Dublin Airport. Also what is the story in Belfast airport? Are they checking if you are travelling for an essential reason before boarding?

no not at all its just like it was before all of this madness except it's quieter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

coggy79 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've to travel to the UK for business purposes on the 10th May returning 13th May. The only flights operating close to where I need to be is Belfast-Teesside. I'm from Clare so will be travelling up to Belfast city airport on the day of the flight. Is there anything I need to know in regards getting Covid tested pre flight or when I get back (to Belfast or Clare) or indeed any other requirements?
    Thanks in advance.

Did you find out if they are doing checks at Belfast Airport / seeing if your flight is essential or not? Or if anyone else has gone through Belfast Airport recently could reply that would be great :)

Did you find out if they are doing checks at Belfast Airport / seeing if your flight is essential or not? Or if anyone else has gone through Belfast Airport recently could reply that would be great :)

They don’t check at Dublin Airport. People are expected to exercise personal responsibility and follow the guidelines. If your journey is necessary, it’s necessary. Just wear a mask and carry sanitizer and use it regularly b

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So I've been back and forth recently. Coming back to Ireland you have to do the 10 days quarantine and arrive with a negative test. (You can do another test after 5 days of quarantine and if that's negative exit early also)

Coming in via Belfast is now covered in the rules, you still need to quarantine. Will they catch you,. Probably not... Are you taking the piss.. Yes of course.

Really is up to yourself to decide, obey the law or break it. But there is no loophole.

Going to England from Ireland, nothing is required. Completely free movement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've not really been following the guidelines but I just admit I'm surprised by the above. I've the boat back to Dublin booked for mid August. I checked UK guidelines and there are no issues there. There's quarantine on the Irish side? Even coming from a country in a "better" state of covid affairs?

The wife had her 2nd jab on Monday. I expect I'll be getting my first quite soon. I suppose there's room for policies to change before we depart.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

theteal wrote: »
    I've not really been following the guidelines but I just admit I'm surprised by the above. I've the boat back to Dublin booked for mid August. I checked UK guidelines and there are no issues there. There's quarantine on the Irish side? Even coming from a country in a "better" state of covid affairs?

The wife had her 2nd jab on Monday. I expect I'll be getting my first quite soon. I suppose there's room for policies to change before we depart.

I would 100% anticipate the restrictions coming from the UK to ease soon, the ridiculous need to test from there will have to change.
    I will be heading over in June hopefully and would not like to have to do a PCR test within 72 hours of travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I have another Covid question: I am taking a return trip to UK, returning within 2 days. If I take a Covid test in Dublin pre-departure and return within 72 hours, will the negative covid test be valid, even though it was done in Ireland, or does the test have to be done in the UK? Can't find any information anywhere on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

TSQ wrote: »
    I have another Covid question: I am taking a return trip to UK, returning within 2 days. If I take a Covid test in Dublin pre-departure and return within 72 hours, will the negative covid test be valid, even though it was done in Ireland, or does the test have to be done in the UK? Can't find any information anywhere on this.

I read somewhere that it will do.

finbarrk wrote: »
    I read somewhere that it will do.

Any idea where you saw this? I have searched all the govt, hse, Dept Foreign Affairs sites, no help or information at all

As long as it’s a PCR test, it doesn’t matter where it was done. Just keep the 72 hour timeframe in mind as it can take around 24 hours for the results to come in, but you can still fly to uk without the results.

Any idea where you saw this? I have searched all the govt, hse, Dept Foreign Affairs sites, no help or information at all

There's no issue where from. Just has to have all the details included of where it was and it has to be a PCR test and of course within the 72 hrs

theteal wrote: »

As it is now, you have to quarantine in Ireland. I'm back over here for the second time at the moment. Last July there were loopholes galore, now your just plain breaking the law of you don't do it.

There's no issue where from. Just has to have all the details included of where it was and it has to be a PCR test and of course within the 72 hrs

Thanks @whomitconcerns. Citizens Advice gave me a Dept of Foreign Affairs number to phone, and I was told in fact that it is better to get the test in Ireland - as long as you return within the 72 hours - because it means I won't have to self-isolate when I return.... go figure!.:D

Thanks @whomitconcerns. Citizens Advice gave me a Dept of Foreign Affairs number to phone, and I was told in fact that it is better to get the test in Ireland - as long as you return within the 72 hours - because it means I won't have to self-isolate when I return.... go figure!.:D

Well I'm not disputing you were told that, but that would be incorrect based on their published rules and laws, you still need to quarantine on return to Ireland with very limited job based exceptions.

• Advertisement

i will give it until June and reatriuctions will be lifted in the common travel area as in flying back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I hope not to have to do the PCR test to get back in tho happy to quarantine for decent amount of time, doing that already really. I think only risky element is the time spent in the plane.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I hope not to have to do the PCR test to get back in tho happy to quarantine for decent amount of time, doing that already really. I think only risky element is the time spent in the plane.

you mean the least risky element, i feel safer in a place than a packed department store or supermarket, air flitration system , mandatory masks, flying is very very safe, the amount of scaremongering surrounding flying is completely devpid of any subtstance, it's miond boggling the way they have peddled this fear about flying, 25 or so flights ive taken sonce last year and never felt safer.

Well, I did have to isolate after return from uk after all! On the plus, I went to a walk in test centre after 5 days and had the test result 24 hrs later so isolation only 6 days.

A word of advice: dont book a test through your GP as you could be sent anywhere (last time I did this I was sent across city to City West). Just turn up at the nearest test centre and you will be seen immediately. Even if you already have an appointment at an inconvenient centre, just go to the nearest one to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 coggy79

No checks at Belfast City Airport either departing or returning.

coggy79 wrote: »
    No checks at Belfast City Airport either departing or returning.

Again, that may be the case, but the Irish law covers this since recently, so you are still deciding to ignore the law of you do this and don't quarantine. It's not a loophole anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Squiggle03

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

A family member that lives in the UK would like to fly into Belfast next month to visit us down south. Can they put down a southern address on the passenger locate form? Would they be questioned or anything? Or has anyone done this yet?

Many thank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Squiggle03 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

A family member that lives in the UK would like to fly into Belfast next month to visit us down south. Can they put down a southern address on the passenger locate form? Would they be questioned or anything? Or has anyone done this yet?

Many thank

They don't have to fill in the Irish passenger locator form if they choose not and they certainly are not required to do it for a flight between England and Northern Ireland as it is a UK Internal flight.

Great to see the airport quite busy the weekend, people ignoring the scaremongering and just getting on with things and flying, no isuses at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭puddle duck

If I am travelling to London mid June for a weekend and I am fully vaccinated do I need a covid test coming back into the country?

Advertisement