Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current guidelines re: travelling England to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

PommieBast wrote: »
    Given that you have to travel within 72 hours of the test think it is actually best to take the test as late in the evening as possible. Did something like 6pm Wednesday for a 9am Saturday flight..

But you need to check if you can when the samples are sent off. Test too late in the day and they may not get sent off till the following day.

According to Irish Ferries you have to arrive at your destination within 72hours of the test time, don't know about other carriers? So I've allowed for either a very late ferry or a cancelled ferry to be within that window.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭PommieBast

But you need to check if you can when the samples are sent off. Test too late in the day and they may not get sent off till the following day.

According to Irish Ferries you have to arrive at your destination within 72hours of the test time, don't know about other carriers? So I've allowed for either a very late ferry or a cancelled ferry to be within that window.
    There is that hazard. I worked on the basis of the stated "results within 24 hours" (was actually next day) and made allowances for both delayed flights and an inconclusive result.

The time limit is a government thing so doubt there'll be any difference between carriers.

Ryanair add the pcr test on to the app. With GDPR and Photoshop anyway can have a negative test. Who enforces it?

Travelling back as I write this. 100% agree it would be very easy to fake a test. The staff checking (when getting on the ferry) would have no way of knowing. Another passenger blagged a free NHS test and the very basic email that comes back from that which doesn't say much more than your test was negative was accepted.

Getting off the ferry garda checked I'd filled in a Passenger Locator Form and did a slightly more thorough check of the Covid test information but reciting my address and data of birth doesn't really prove anything.

Only a passing connection to the thread but I thought it was worth mentioning the limits for bringing booze back from the UK - forget it, 4 liters wine, 16 liters beer and a measly 1 liter of anything over 22% alcohol.

Travelling back as I write this. 100% agree it would be very easy to fake a test. The staff checking would have no way of knowing. Another passenger blagged a free NHS test and the very basic email that comes back from that which doesn't say much more than your test was negative was accepted.
    Fake covid test certificates is already old news. In my case airline staff only took a quick glance but Dublin immigration seemed to take their time looking over it..

PommieBast wrote: »
    Fake covid test certificates is already old news. In my case airline staff only took a quick glance but Dublin immigration seemed to take their time looking over it..

I'm sure they'll catch stupid people who buy forms from criminals but I don't see how they'll catch many tech savvy travellers who change the dates on a previous test result.

No I don't condone it and wouldn't do it. I think there should be a central database for the tests or some better way of verifying them.

The Passenger Locator Form is just a joke, put in whatever information you like and no one can tie you to it. Again its needs tightening up on, but no one is going to put up with more queues.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'll catch stupid people who buy forms from criminals but I don't see how they'll catch many tech savvy travellers who change the dates on a previous test result.

No I don't condone it and wouldn't do it. I think there should be a central database for the tests or some better way of verifying them.
    Ultimately it will come down to some form of random checking, even if it is just GNIB ringing up the certificate's issuer. There's enough info on the certificate that if it does actually get checked, fakes will stick right out..

The Passenger Locator Form is just a joke, put in whatever information you like and no one can tie you to it. Again its needs tightening up on, but no one is going to put up with more queues.
    Yep. I've done the process three times and the nearest they've come to checking whether I was actually doing my 2-week isolation was SMS messages with a web link. I nearly missed it as it looked like just another phishing message..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

a clanger wrote: »
    England to Ireland a Negative PCR test is required within 72 hours of dept. (only PCR accepted) You won't be allowed board flight/ferry without it for all pax over 6 years old !

Ireland to England ...no test required !

The above was personal experience 2 weeks ago

Thanks for this info. Just wondering, do you know if the Gardai in the airport checking purpose of travel at all times or were they there when you were traveling? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

a clanger wrote: »
    Last week there were checkpoints on the approach roads /ramps up to T1 and T2 but no Garda presence in the airport. The week before that they had a Garda leaning on a booth who would question you before security in T1.
    The only needed 1 Garda as the amount of people going through was so small....despite what you read in the media !
    I was travelling due to work so obviously no issues. Anytime I've engaged with the Garda they have been polite and there was certainly no aggressive questioning...i was legit though

Hi a_clanger, what proof were Gardai looking for that you were travelling for work? If a letter, do they just read it and let you through? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Keeping an ear out for news on travel to/from UK.... So OK to go with a decent reason for travel but need negative PCR result to board plane on return and also evidence of second test booked to be taken in Ireland on Day 5 of return. And to quarantine for those 5 days. Some talk on radio last night about mandatory hotel stay for those days.... I will soon have first vaccine dose of two but that does not seem to be any help. A covid travel pass will come hopefully over summer but presume only fully vaccinated will travel freely?

You don't need evidence of a second test booked unless you want to stop quarantine at home early.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Flew last weekend, there was 2 garda before you go through the barrier but there was a large crowd but just checked boarding pass and passpport and that was it, airport was much busier than ive seen it since before this lunacy started, which was great to see.

flew back through Belfast, was great to be able to have a few beers over there and do a bit of shopping, a little sense of normality, so id highly recommend flying if you want to, ignore the scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have need to travel UK in next 6 wks. I booked a return flight with Ryanair to Bristol only to have it cancelled yesterday. Email ended up in Spam so nearly missed it. OK can get refund or rebook.... but very inconvenient especially to people in UK expecting me to turn up. I fear they will cancel other bookings nearer the time when it suits them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Garlinge wrote: »
    I have need to travel UK in next 6 wks. I booked a return flight with Ryanair to Bristol only to have it cancelled yesterday. Email ended up in Spam so nearly missed it. OK can get refund or rebook.... but very inconvenient especially to people in UK expecting me to turn up. I fear they will cancel other bookings nearer the time when it suits them.

my flioght to London Southend next month got cancelled but i was able to rebook to Stanstead which initially came in mich dearer which is why i booked Southend so result for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Does anybody know what the story is if you are transiting through the UK? Say Calais-Dover-Birkenhead-Belfast-ROI. Can you use your ROI address as the quarantine location?

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the story is if you are transiting through the UK? Say Calais-Dover-Birkenhead-Belfast-ROI. Can you use your ROI address as the quarantine location?

If your reason for travel is returning to your home then I don't see you have a problem. Edit> Provided you have the relevant PCR tests and any forms filled in for the counties you are travelling through.

When I was in the UK two weeks ago I travelled about a thousand miles and didn't get stopped once. No questions asked coming back from the UK apart from asking for PLF and proof of Covid PCR test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Ladylouth wrote: »

A few weeks back I travelled Calais-Dover-Pembroke-Rosslare

PCR checked in Calais. Border force checked all in Dover and insisted I needed to isolate in UK. After much discussion they let me carry on to Pembroke. The UK passenger locator form has no section for road transit. It is set up for flying.

PCR checked in Pembroke dock and Irish passenger locator form handed out to be filled in..

Garda check in Rosslare very cursory. Just took the form without looking at it.

No checks in the 14 days after i got home in Ireland.

Nomis21 wrote: »

No checks in the 14 days after i got home in Ireland.

I won't get any this time either :rolleyes: The stupid form asks for mobile number so thats what I gave - only our government needs to get mobile coverage in my area sorted if they want to speak to me.

When I'm in a less pedantic mood and give my home number all I get is one call from some poor *** reading from script.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Has anyone travelled Larne to Cairnryan or back the other way recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭midnightblue

I'm due to travel to England from Dublin on the end of June, and I'm a bit confused about the need to quarantine in England. This is what gov.uk says under "How to quarantine when you arrive in England"

If, within the current restrictions on travel within the Common Travel Area and the recommendation not to travel at all, you’re travelling from somewhere in the Common Travel Area (Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and you have not left the Common Travel Area for the past 10 days, you do not need a test before leaving or to home quarantine and take tests after arriving.

This reads to me that there is no need to home quarantine upon arrival in England if you haven't been out of the common travel area. My trip is for 4 days so I'm looking for guidance from what people have experienced so far.

Forget it, no need to quarantine in the UK as its within the CTA (Comon Travel Area).

I got an email I'll dig out to prove it if you like.

Edit> There you go ...........
    Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your enquiry to NHS Trace Feedback.

Ireland is part of the Common Travel Area (See link below) a long-standing arrangement between the UK, the Crown Dependencies (Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man) and Ireland that pre-dates both British and Irish membership of the EU and is not dependent on it.

Under the CTA, British and Irish citizens can move freely and reside in either jurisdiction and enjoy associated rights and privileges, including the right to work, study and vote in certain elections, as well as to access social welfare benefits and health services.

The government recommend that:

If, within the current restrictions on travel within the Common Travel Area and the recommendation not to travel at all, you’re travelling from somewhere in the Common Travel Area (Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and you have not left the Common Travel Area for the past 10 days, you do not need a test before leaving or to home quarantine and take tests after arriving.

So you are exempt from the pre-departure test, the travel test kits and from quarantine.

I hope this brings some clarity to your situation.

Kind Regards,

XXXXX
    Trace Feedback Team

• Advertisement

Forget it, no need to quarantine in the UK as its within the CTA (Comon Travel Area).

I got an email I'll dig out to prove it if you like.

That's great, thank you for confirming (and sharing the email from NHS)! :)

That's great, thank you for confirming! :)

Although technically you still need a good reason for you travel at this end. Going on holiday still isn't going to cut it afaik if you get stopped on your way to the plane or ferry.

Although technically you still need a good reason for you travel at this end. Going on holiday still isn't going to cut it afaik if you get stopped on your way to the plane or ferry.

Cheers for this. I do have an appointment scheduled for the trip, will defo have paperwork to present to the guards if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 drmatty

Hi I was onto the ferry company and they confirmed no issue travelling to England, no quarantine required. The issue is coming back to Ireland where you need a PCR test from within 72 hrs of travel, they cost around £100.

You are correct. Also remember the PCR test has still to be valid when you arrive back in Ireland so you have to balance getting the results back against the possibilities of ferrys being cancelled in the 72 hour period from when you take the test. Not too much of an issue coming into the summer but a pain in the winter months.

drmatty wrote: »
    Hi I was onto the ferry company and they confirmed no issue travelling to England, no quarantine required. The issue is coming back to Ireland where you need a PCR test from within 72 hrs of travel, they cost around £100.

Ferry into Dublin or rosslare? Dorsnt apply if you get ferry into Belfast as its UK to UK,I believe ?

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Ferry into Dublin or rosslare? Dorsnt apply if you get ferry into Belfast as its UK to UK,I believe ?

I'd double check that as I think unless you stay up north for 14 days you still need to fill in a PLF and then isolate here for 14 days.

Now maybe people are ignoring and getting away with it no ones checking but afaik the risk is a £2000 fine.

I'd double check that as I think unless you stay up north for 14 days you still need to fill in a PLF and then isolate here for 14 days.

Now maybe people are ignoring and getting away with it no ones checking but afaik the risk is a £2000 fine.

Yes but on the plus no expensive PCR tests, no risk that fool Donnelly takes a notion to put the UK on MHQ list overnight - plus the chances of the gards knocking on your door and issuing a fine are slim to none.

I also dont have an issue with quarantining at home if I must, but having to fork put for PCR tests within CTA is madness when you can come in from UK 90 minutes up the road and avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have to go to the UK on June 17th: does anybody know if there is any chance that the PCR test requirement when returning from the UK to here will be abolished by June 20th?

The PCR requirement makes no sense: the UK Covid figures are better than ours. When you factor in that the the UK government is doing about 1.4 million tests per day - 800,000 PCR and 600,000 Rapid Flow - whereas our government is doing about 18,000 tests every day.

If we were doing as much testing as the Brits (on a pro rata basis), our figures would be many times worse.

• Advertisement

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have to go to the UK on June 17th: does anybody know if there is any chance that the PCR test requirement when returning from the UK to here will be abolished by June 20th?

The PCR requirement makes no sense: the UK Covid figures are better than ours. When you factor in that the the UK government is doing about 1.4 million tests per day - 800,000 PCR and 600,000 Rapid Flow - whereas our government is doing about 18,000 tests every day.

If we were doing as much testing as the Brits (on a pro rata basis), our figures would be many times worse.

While the Elephant in the room in the North I suspect the reasoning is to stop new variants entering the country.

I'm travelling again the beginning of June back a week later and I'm still expecting to do a PCR test.

Advertisement