Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International travel this summer.. I need me holidays..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

spurious wrote: »
    Sorry that should have said booked IN Jan 2020. I have to get additional prescription levels of Vit D. The tablets don't hit the sides. Last doses were 25000iu in a little bottle - liquid that smelled like farmyard. Vile stuff.

Have to stay positive about going in Oct..

You can buy a Vit D lamp to combat SADs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Caranica wrote: »
    You can still carry the virus after vaccination meaning there are risks associated with travel so it's not like a magic button to reopen travel.

Nobody knows when, and to what extent, non-essential international travel will be permitted

That was an assumption and one that has been proven to be false. Real world Phizer studies shows it prevents or massively reduces transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

spurious wrote: »
    Sorry that should have said booked IN Jan 2020. I have to get additional prescription levels of Vit D. The tablets don't hit the sides. Last doses were 25000iu in a little bottle - liquid that smelled like farmyard. Vile stuff.

Have to stay positive about going in Oct..

You can get prescription capsules with 25000 iu instead of the bottles, not as hard to take

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

So what the chances of holidays to spaon or Portugal this year. To book or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

"I just need to get away every year" = "My life is empty"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Mrtm17 wrote: »

I think it is more difficult to get away before September but we have two children who have not started school and we havent ruled out going before the wnd of the year. It will be our last year before school takes over.

I've booked Spain for the start of July. All the vulnerable and elderly will be vaccinated by then and life should be returning to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Mrsmac2599 wrote: »
    What exactly happens at Dublin Airport, are checkpoints outside or inside the Airport?

Garda at the gate, where you go airside. According to a Polish acquaintance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    I've booked Spain for the start of July. All the vulnerable and elderly will be vaccinated by then and life should be returning to normal.

Think that's a bit optimistic.

Can see places abroad being jammed with the Brits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

I agree with Punk IPA above. I have had cancer more than once, am middle aged and happy to accept health risks of Covid, as quite frankly it pales compared to my continued high risk of cancer. The confidence I had in the cancer services, to pick up and respond to any recurrence early, is pretty much gone now, as all my appointments have been cancelled this year. My life with my family is for living now. When we travel, we do not mix with others anyway, so there is no great increase in risk compared to being here. For the first lockdown, we complied completely. Travelled abroad last summer against advice, and will do so again if at all possible this year. We all have one shot at life, and for me now is the time for living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Why not just book free cancellation? I have booked holidays to various destinations all over Europe for every week during August, September and some of October. Probably won't get to go on any of them but can just cancel with no loss. If it looks like I can go on any of them, I'll book a flight as late as possible. Set up calendar reminders so you don't forget to cancel before the free cancellation dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Bloomberg reporting that Europe could actually achieve their targeted vaccination numbers by end of June. That's around the 60% marker I believe, in terms of herd immunity through vaccinating. You would imagine that augurs well for a holiday from around August onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Whilst I understand and respect the thought process of the above poster, its not all about them though. If they contract thw virus and are living their life without adhering to restrictions they could easily give it to a vulnerable member of society who is not yet vaccinated.

So they enjoy the holiday in Spain or wherever but at what cost to everyone else?

We didn't have to worry about the vulnerable member of society when it came to flu. God knows you could have infected 1000s of people in the past and not have known it, maybe even killed somebody as a result!

A question, unrelated to this... But we appear to have lost something... The flu.. Did anybody find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

Everyone.. Once again this forum is not about if its right or wrong to travel this year or next. I'm sure boards.ie has another forum if you want to discuss and debate this. Half of the Internet is debating the same topic, can we please keep to specifics. I set this up to discuss latest news and updates on travel restrictions in Ireland.

I understand there is some overlap for sure but let's not go down a rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I am hoping to travel somewhere abroad this autumn. But it really depends on the safety and how well the vaccines are working especially with new variants of concern existing and in the future. It will also depends on any restrictions of the time here in Ireland and how capable the virus is at overwhelming hospitals and other health services. I would be choosing a destination that would have a low rate of disease and the local population are mainly vaccinated. Although I don’t plan on traveling beyond Europe the USA and some of the Caribbean countries could be safe enough due the high levels of vaccination. I don’t anticipate that Australia and New Zealand be opened up to travel into until next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

100% going abroad this year and i cant wait either, anywhere as long as its hot and has beaches and bars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Reposted due to link error

If you believe Ireland is breaching EU law and treaties as i do with Mandatory Hotel Quarantine of EU citizens with negative COVID PCR tests then please please take 5 minutes to lodge a complaint to the commission

To lodge a complain about Ireland to the commission
    The link again for anyone seeking to lodge a complaint: https://ec.europa.eu/assets/sg/report-a-breach/complaints_en/

It is very straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

I have access to a holiday villa in South Spain for 1st 2 weeks of September. Do you reckon this will be a possibilty? Just wondering whether I should risk purchasing tickets for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Have had to cancel two holidays to Portugal but have booked again for mid sept,should be grand by then i reckon.Im vaccinated so that might help.
    A bigger worry for me is i have to go to Australia in November, the very strict 2 week quarantine (at $3000aus ) is going to be a killer on many levels,involves taking 5 weeks off work aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

HBC08 wrote: »
    Have had to cancel two holidays to Portugal but have booked again for mid sept,should be grand by then i reckon.Im vaccinated so that might help.
    A bigger worry for me is i have to go to Australia in November, the very strict 2 week quarantine (at $3000aus ) is going to be a killer on many levels,involves taking 5 weeks off work aswell.
    Do you reckon mid September is a possibility even for Portugal though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ah yeah id say so.
    Maybe im being overly optimistic ( i did book a flight to Portugal for May in January! Which i got refunded for)
    I think the vaccines are really going flood in pretty soon and things will be fairly normal by the late summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I was hoping to go Jun-Sept. realistically I think Euro travel will be curtailed until end of June but from Jun 28, I do not think that the blanket restrictions can or will be sustained.

Infection levels in Portugal are much lower than here and the peak infection points are in Lisbon and Porto regions. The Algarve has been sustainably low for a long time. U.K. tourists seem likely to pose a lower threat level than last year (in connection with seeding virus) and the Portuguese govt has shown willingness to close the border with Spain when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

So we are both now vaccinated, i have my 2nd next Sunday. We missed our 25th Wedding Anniversary during lockdown, and a few other key milestones. We had a holiday booked for end of May, so have lost part of the deposit on that, not overly worried about that, when I booked I knew there was an element of risk.

So we've booked our go to holiday for end of Sept, Chania in Crete for 12 days. Weather there is around 25 degrees at that time of year and it doesnt suffer from mass tourism etc, a great place to get away from it all.

Unless something really mad happens with a new variant I cant see why we couldn't travel, I feel we are both safe to go etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

TheFairy wrote: »
    So we are both now vaccinated, i have my 2nd next Sunday. We missed our 25th Wedding Anniversary during lockdown, and a few other key milestones. We had a holiday booked for end of May, so have lost part of the deposit on that, not overly worried about that, when I booked I knew there was an element of risk.

So we've booked our go to holiday for end of Sept, Chania in Crete for 12 days. Weather there is around 25 degrees at that time of year and it doesnt suffer from mass tourism etc, a great place to get away from it all.

Unless something really mad happens with a new variant I cant see why we couldn't travel, I feel we are both safe to go etc.

Chania is lovely. Enjoy ! If we didn't have kids of a school-going age, we would be seriously considering something similar.

Reposted due to link error

If you believe Ireland is breaching EU law and treaties as i do with Mandatory Hotel Quarantine of EU citizens with negative COVID PCR tests then please please take 5 minutes to lodge a complaint to the commission

To lodge a complain about Ireland to the commission
    The link again for anyone seeking to lodge a complaint: https://ec.europa.eu/assets/sg/report-a-breach/complaints_en/

It is very straight forward

The problem with that is,the government will claim they are NOT stopping you travelling to another EU country
    They have imposed quarantine for when you come back
    You are free to travel and if its an unneccessary journey according to the national competency of our public health laws,after you are warned about the hefty fine
    None of that is illegal,its actually statute made under a national not an EU competency
    Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Chania is lovely. Enjoy ! If we didn't have kids of a school-going age, we would be seriously considering something similar.

LOL this will be our 7th time to the same apartment. We stay just off Nea Chora beach, its about 15-20 mins walk from the old town along the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭colly10

Is the 2k fine for flying out or just for not doing quarantine?
    Will the 2k fine remain when we’re not at level 5?
    Are the gards still hanging round the airport?

colly10 wrote: »
    Is the 2k fine for flying out or just for not doing quarantine?
    Will the 2k fine remain when we’re not at level 5?
    Are the gards still hanging round the airport?

The 2k fine is for an unnessary journey at the airport
    You will be asked just before boarding by a Garda what the purpose of travel is
    If they are not satisfied with your reply,you will be advised that a fixed pebalty notice for €2000 will be posted to your home address and on return you will have 6 weeks to pay it in full
    There is no scope for a payment plan
    Its per person
    The parent pays the kids fine
    So for a family of 4,thats an €8000 fine when you get home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭colly10

The 2k fine is for an unnessary journey at the airport
    You will be asked just before boarding by a Garda what the purpose of travel is
    If they are not satisfied with your reply,you will be advised that a fixed pebalty notice for €2000 will be posted to your home address and on return you will have 6 weeks to pay it in full
    There is no scope for a payment plan
    Its per person
    The parent pays the kids fine
    So for a family of 4,thats an €8000 fine when you get home

So they fine a 6 month old :)
    Think i’ll just fly from belfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

I was due down in Spain for Easter and meant to be back yesterday. Was going down to see my parents whove been there since last year. Changed the flights a few days before the leaving as we thought the hassle at Dublin airport with the Gardai would be too much. Getting tests done wasnt a problem. After hearing the crap out of nphet about a 4th wave yesterday and seeing where the UK are now I do regret not going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement