Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flying to the US May 2021

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Despite being asked how he was getting in and told that he needed permission from the embassy he said it would be grand. Unsurprisingly he was denied boarding.

Ouch. I wonder if that counts as refusal-of-admission and makes them ineligible for ESTA...

> Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

any guesses on when it will re-open for europeans?

Biden said he hopes to have 100 million people vaccinated in his first 100 days in office so allowing for some slippage they should have enough done by September/October to hit around 80% of the population which is benchmark to open up. If I had to guess I'd say October, I'd be more worried about not being able to travel outbound from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Ouch. I wonder if that counts as refusal-of-admission and makes them ineligible for ESTA...

> Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?

I’m not sure it makes him ineligible but you can almost guarantee that he’ll be subject to further scrutiny every time he goes through immigration. That could be anything from a couple of questions at the immigration desk to a couple of hours in a room with immigration officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I’m not sure it makes him ineligible but you can almost guarantee that he’ll be subject to further scrutiny every time he goes through immigration. That could be anything from a couple of questions at the immigration desk to a couple of hours in a room with immigration officers.

There probably won't be any further consequences. As I understand it, they cancel your ESTA when you try to check in, so that would prevent any traveler from checking in which means they won't get anywhere near the CBP area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

surfer, Best guess today. Travel between US and Ireland opens up sometime after mid-summer. More than likely autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

There probably won't be any further consequences. As I understand it, they cancel your ESTA when you try to check in, so that would prevent any traveler from checking in which means they won't get anywhere near the CBP area.

There are still categories of people who can travel on an ESTA within the proclamation (I did so in December with no issue). I did notice a big difference between the way over and back. We landed in JFK and just walked off the plane, when we were leaving there were US army meeting all arrivals (including domestic) with the COVID forms where you had to fill out where you were quarantining etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Seth Meyers did a COVID "Closer Look" this week. Herd immunity in USA was all over the place. From April to Christmas. Depending whom you asked. The point? Nobody knows yet when travel to America will be safe and practical.

The US federal government is now saying there will now be enough vaccine doses for everyone in the US by the end of May!

Traveling in May sounds uncertain but by, say, August, I think travel will be back to normalish.

The US federal government is now saying there will now be enough vaccine doses for everyone in the US by the end of May!
    Need to convince the anti-vaxxers.
    Traveling in May sounds uncertain but by, say, August, I think travel will be back to normalish.
    A possibility.

Fathom wrote: »
    Need to convince the anti-vaxxers.

The anti-vaxxers are less than 10% of the population and are not needed for herd immunity IMO.

The "vaccine hesitant" group is larger, but I think most of these people will end up taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Coybig_ wrote: »
    USA is literally seeing drastic reductions in COVID cases, as they are rapidly progressing through their vaccination programme. Hospitalisations are reducing, numbers vaccinated are increasing and states are beginning to open up again.

By June the situation is shaping up to look amazing over there. The situation is the opposite of how you are presenting it.

America was always very succeptible to COVID because they have over 40 percent of their population classed as obese ergo they had more vulnerable people than any other country in the world.

100% correct! Don’t know where Boards got that “Moderator” the bargain bin of the January transfer window I take it.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Don’t know where Boards got that “Moderator” the bargain bin of the January transfer window I take it.
    MOD: Hey nocoverart. You have been around boards since 2012. You should know by now that almost all forums on boards will not tolerate comments like the one you made above. Discussing moderators or moderation in-thread is not allowed. Further, please read the United States forum charter, which you violated, for additional reasons:
    Black Swan wrote: »
    Boards.ie Policies and Practices:
    • No trolling, flaming, or personal abuse (i.e., challenge the post, not the poster).
    • No backseat modding... Discussing someone’s behaviour and posting it on a thread in this forum is an example of back seat modding.
    Please be warned that if you continue to post in this thread or elsewhere in the United States forum in similar fashion, you may be yellow or red carded, or banned.

Advertisement