Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

prawnsambo wrote: »
    If Putin is gambling that Biden will do nothing, he's in for a shock. This is an absolutely gilt-edged opportunity for Biden to show strength with pretty much nothing to lose. Awfully stupid to arrest Navalny, nothing to be gained from it.

If the US does something, Russia is again the "victim" of the Western agenda, Putin wins.

If the US does nothing, Putin wins.

No opposition, a cowed media, gold-plated domestic support (the apathetic don't vote), immunity if he ever leaves power. All Putin has to do is confront and stand up the world every once in awhile to appease the nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    If the US does something, Russia is again the "victim" of the Western agenda, Putin wins.

If the US does nothing, Putin wins.

No opposition, a cowed media, gold-plated domestic support (the apathetic don't vote), immunity if he ever leaves power. All Putin has to do is confront and stand up the world every once in awhile to appease the nationalists.
    Not so sure that Putin is as 'popular' as he used to be, but there are lots of Putin's friends floating around and plenty of money to target, especially in the US. Sanctions on individuals close to Putin have always been favourite. Anyhow, first shots have been fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,833 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It does ****ing annoy me that Europe will criticise Russia but we'll take their gas, no problemo. (im looking at you Germany)

I'm hoping Biden ****ing wakes Europe up and stop this double standards crap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well I suppose we should have expected it, but still this is low. Selling pardons at $2 million a pop. Giuliani the front man and Kushner the rubber stamp man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm perplexed why Navalny didn't wait another week until Biden was President just to possibly temper Putin desires to act which he might feel more acceptable in these last few days.

I would say, from Navalny's viewpoint, he doesn't want to appear to Putin (and the general optics to the Russian public) as if he's hiding in Biden's apron (so to speak), that he's not part of a cold War effort against the old enemy and is part of a genuine indigenous movement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The New Yorker had a reporter in the mob and have released their footage, 12 min but well worth a watch, complete and utter batsh1t insanity:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/where-the-fck-is-nancy-the-new-yorker-shares-stunning-new-capitol-mob-footage/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thargor wrote: »
    The New Yorker had a reporter in the mob and have released their footage, 12 min but well worth a watch, complete and utter batsh1t insanity:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/where-the-fck-is-nancy-the-new-yorker-shares-stunning-new-capitol-mob-footage/

Ted Cruz doesn't come out of it looking too good.

As for the sight of cops strolling around asking people if they needed medical attention. Quite a different response to how they acted at protests throughout all of last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,833 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Does he ever?

How a man can bend over for Trump who blatantly told lies about Cruz's family, says alot about Cruz.

I see the WH or more specifically Giuliani is whoring out Presidential Pardons now
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/17/rudy-giuliani-associate-john-kiriakou-trump-pardon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

two of the lads talking about "millions" of people behind them coming in. these guys actually thought they had an army with them ready to take over the country. frightening levels of delusion. most of them looked like people with moderate to severe mental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That's the Air-Nat/Gd Lt Col in the helmet issuing the "Understand me, I don't want [unheard] -[followed by] information" order.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    It does ****ing annoy me that Europe will criticise Russia but we'll take their gas, no problemo. (im looking at you Germany)

Russia has been supplying western Europe with gas since the 80s and even before that if memory serves me correctly. Well back when the U.S.S.R. was supposed to be the devil incarnate and the Reagan Administration saying that the money they would receive from an increased deal for the supply of gas to western Europe, would bolster their military imperialism. In short the Reagan Administration was more worried that western Europe would be less oil dependant, as the Reagan Administration had no issues with American farmers selling grain to the U.S.S.R. at the same time.

I'm not defending Putin btw, he is a extremely dangerous individual and has increased the hold criminal organisations have in Russia and elsewhere in my opinion. I'm simply highlighting that western Europe and Russia have been customers and suppliers for decades even when half of Germany was under their effective control and the yanks haven't had a issue doing business with them when it suited them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

They don't have a choice. Russian control of Syria means no gas line the other way. Russia also benefitted from the Qatar blockade which stopped plans of shipping Qatari product west.

Biden can help Europe by putting Putin out of business. He must also pressure those who work with him (including in London). Otherwise nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,765 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The switch doesn't happen overnight. But Europe has been trying to gradually move away from Russian supply since the Crimea situation, but it's a long process and options are limited

As for the sight of cops strolling around asking people if they needed medical attention. Quite a different response to how they acted at protests throughout all of last summer.

The new video releases on CNN which caught live the interactions between the Capitol Police officers in a holding standoff position between them and the insurgents, the insurgents using Trump's name repeatedly as the reason they clearly beiieved their attack and invasion of the Capitol building were authorised by his [what seems to be a verbal directive] speech to them on Pennsylvania Avenue. Linking them to Cruz's statements on the actions of the insurgents are very reflective of the "shifting in the tide" political positions he's adapted as visual evidence is shown to the public of the connection between trump and the insurgents. It also show's both he and Trump have thrown the insurgents under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

aloyisious wrote: »
    The new video releases on CNN which caught live the interactions between the Capitol Police officers in a holding standoff position between them and the insurgents, the insurgents using Trump's name repeatedly as the reason they clearly beiieved their attack and invasion of the Capitol building were authorised by his [what seems to be a verbal directive] speech to them on Pennsylvania Avenue. Linking them to Cruz's statements on the actions of the insurgents are very reflective of the "shifting in the tide" political positions he's adapted as visual evidence is shown to the public of the connection between trump and the insurgents. It also show's both he and Trump have thrown the insurgents under the bus.

Absolutely. Trump went from telling them he loved and respected to them, to saying everyone involved in violent activity should be prosecuted.

The only surprise is that people might be surprised by his behavior. He has literally done it to everyone else throughout his life and career.

I'm probably wrong in my opinion where it comes to the advances of science made where it to the "recovering of data by forensic science" methods used by federal agencies allied to the sciences of tracking cell phones location signals and the monitoring of the phones conversations by legal means in the DC area but the amount of evidence recoverable from the cellphones used liberally by the insurgents in their voluntarily self-recorded cellphone conversations must be enormous. The connection and transfer of the conversations freely via the WWW to chat with the world must also be enormous. The callers transmitted and shared freely their conversations according to their rights in the constitution.

Edit: actuality it's probably the other part of the free speech angle not mentioned by Trump due to his "Fake News Julius Streicher and Joseph Goebbels" attitude that has come back from within the U.S constitution to bite him in the ass, to use a U.S right allowed under the same amendment.

Rep Nancy Mace [R] South Carolina, newly elected to Congress, told CNN that she believes QAnon Representatives in congress must be removed from congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Absolutely. Trump went from telling them he loved and respected to them, to saying everyone involved in violent activity should be prosecuted.

The only surprise is that people might be surprised by his behavior. He has literally done it to everyone else throughout his life and career.

I think it was evident by the brazen attitude of the rioters that they believed they were there because Trump wanted them and as he was the "boss" as one called him then they were protected and would not be prosecuted no matter what they did.

Lmao off at the losers going through desks and taking photos of documents they thought would prove that the election was stolen. Even if anything existed (which of course it doesn't) it would hardly be flung into a desk.

It reminded me of a scene from The Goonies as the kids looked for the next cryptic message from One-eyed Willie.

Absolute idiots. You couldn't make it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Rep Nancy Mace [R] South Carolina, newly elected to Congress, told CNN that she believes QAnon Representatives in congress must be removed from congress.

She doesn’t see a problem with her declaring that a duly elected representative should be removed simply because she doesn’t like their politics? (Assuming such QAnon representatives actually exist in Congress, not quite sure how they will be suitably identified for purging purposes)

She doesn’t see a problem with her declaring that a duly elected representative should be removed simply because she doesn’t like their politics? (Assuming such QAnon representatives actually exist in Congress, not quite sure how they will be suitably identified for purging purposes)

Beliefs over stated politics? Isn't that part of the present division between both of the apparently GOP law-abiding sides in the U.S Congress?

Where it comes to personal beliefs, shouldn't the presented videos available be enough for the average U.S cognitive citizen to make a judgement for themselves on the actions and deeds of the self-identified Q-Anon believers amongst the new elected members and THE allied action and deeds the insurgents carried out in the Capitol building and it's surrounds on the 06 Jan this year, or do you believe the statements from the congress members should be disbelieved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Beliefs over stated politics? Isn't that part of the present division between both of the apparently GOP law-abiding sides in the U.S Congress?

Where it comes to personal beliefs, shouldn't the presented videos available be enough for the average U.S cognitive citizen to make a judgement for themselves on the actions and deeds of the self-identified Q-Anon believers amongst the new elected members of the elected actions and THE allied action and deeds the insurgents carried out in the Capitol building and it's surrounds on the 06 Jan this year, or do you believe the statements from the congress members should be disbelieved?

If they did anything they should be prosecuted according to the law. If that means they lose their right to hold a seat then fine.

But deselecting a member of Congress because one doesn't agree with their views is not on. They were voted in by the people, it is up to the rest of the chamber to argue, and vote,cagaijst her views.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

QAnon is not “politics”. It’s insanity.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

I believe it has more to do with supporting the recent coup attempt than flat out politics. I believe similar happened when some didn't recognise Lincoln.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm sure a man like yourself would understand that it's not beliefs, it's an organisation that the FBI has now designated as domestic terrorist threat.

listermint wrote: »
    I'm sure a man like yourself would understand that it's not beliefs, it's an organisation that the FBI has now designated as domestic terrorist threat.

Have they? Qanon is now treated as a terrorist organisation?

I hadn't seen that. Of course if she is a member of a terrorist organisation then she should be arrested and suspended from office.

But that goes back to dealing with it within the law. Simply deselecting her because she has, admittedly weird and dangerous, views is not a good way to go.

I am sure some people would think some of my views, or yours or whomever, are weird and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Have they? Qanon is now treated as a terrorist organisation?

I hadn't seen that. Of course if she is a member of a terrorist organisation then she should be arrested and suspended from office.

But that goes back to dealing with it within the law. Simply deselecting her because she has, admittedly weird and dangerous, views is not a good way to go.

I am sure some people would think some of my views, or yours or whomever, are weird and dangerous.
    here
    https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-documents-conspiracy-theories-terrorism-160000507.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=tw&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGhlZGFpbHliZWFzdC5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAG2EYM76aVGJ2TcOgqujpL0v7tCQ263E5t3q6jznjHZnM8He-lwglxERQAFpMqFkBvF_ZwXFc1LNPRzKfhSF6dFocRXsTTOHXckkeWZdor8dENyG4mBGanUzMlE3b4ggwAZuiCvJCgOUwio5ZDNiou_jA-hRDl1GhJdVx-3rfzYq

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/09/17/fbi-director-describes-domestic-extremists-in-homeland-threats-hearing/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

listermint wrote: »

The US allowed open KKK members to be in the senate up until Byrd died in 2010

As FUBAR as QAnon is, it would be completely hypocritical to remove them from elected office while having nothing in place to prevent members of other hateful groups from being elected as senators or Congresspeople.

Democracy means that sometimes bad people get elected. There need to be checks and balances and constitutional protections against the risk that anti democratic forces could take control and use their position to prevent future elections from taking place, but other than that, the will of the people needs to be respected or else the system loses all legitimacy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Akrasia wrote: »
    Democracy means that sometimes bad people get elected.

That feels like an understatement, but leadership just seems to naturally attract people with traits that make them unsuitable for leadership and you can only vote for the best, or least terrible, on offer.

kowloon wrote: »
    That feels like an understatement, but leadership just seems to naturally attract people with traits that make them unsuitable for leadership and you can only vote for the best, or least terrible, on offer.
    “The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
    To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
    To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Akrasia wrote: »
    The US allowed open KKK members to be in the senate up until Byrd died in 2010

As FUBAR as QAnon is, it would be completely hypocritical to remove them from elected office while having nothing in place to prevent members of other hateful groups from being elected as senators or Congresspeople.

Democracy means that sometimes bad people get elected. There need to be checks and balances and constitutional protections against the risk that anti democratic forces could take control and use their position to prevent future elections from taking place, but other than that, the will of the people needs to be respected or else the system loses all legitimacy

Very true. I suppose 3 gatekeepers against the election of crazy to high office in a democracy would be the political parties themselves, and the media and the education level of the voting public.

So, as far as I can see the US is f-cked for the forseeable in all regards (a shítty media combined with internet poison, 1 rabid party captured by extremists, a big foolish and ignorant voting block).

The Donald won't be the last bat-**** "Leader of the Free World" they vote in IMO.

Advertisement