Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

I had no love for this game when I played it on the Xbox 360. But having beaten River City Ransom a few years ago and recently getting a taste of River City Girls last year, I've grown to enjoy this mish-mash of genres (beat 'em up with RPG elements).

I bought this yesterday and it's definitely one of the most solid brawlers I've ever played. It's got me in the mood to play more beat 'em ups for a while.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PLAYSTATION 4
    2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PLAYSTATION 4
    3|GRIS|PLAYSTATION 4
    4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PLAYSTATION 4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||

Mega Man 7

Apparently the game was slapped together in 3 months and it kind of shows. Not that it's bad. It's still good but far from the greatness of the MMX games.

It's also weird that it's more like the gameboy megaman games. You only have 4 robotmasters at the start and 4 unlock when they are beat. It makes picking weapons for the bosses a lot easier.

There's good variety in level design and the game takes cues from MMX with a few secrets to find but it's a whole lot simpler than MMX. As a lot SNES game it looks gorgeous and the music while good isn't a patch on the NES games, but then neither is the MMX music.

One last thing worth noting is that the last boss is complete bull**** and extremely difficult. It's borderline unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Bioshock Infinite [PS4] - I loved this game but not quite as much as the first. Although very different from 1 & 2 there are some slight similarities with weapons and vigours(plasmids). If you've never played a Bioshock game then the collection is available quite cheaply. I would highly recommend all three for those that haven't played them. They are masterpieces and should be played in order of release date i.e. 1,2 and then infinite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just thought it was bad as well. The story is a tonal mess and the gameplay is repetitive. No amount of fancy world building can polish that up. Definitely not the so called 'citizen kane' of games.

More like the Tenet of games. A complex convoluted plot that makes the mistake of thinking complexity is good writing and misses out on the emotional depth that would actually make it compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I feel the critical consensus has tried to overcorrect on the initial uber-hype around Infinite to the point that where the game goes right tends to get ignored so we can all go "ha, Ken Levine went a bit David Cage, didn't he?" Which roundaboutly stops short of how doing justice to how disappointing the game ended up being, because it was chock full of potential that was ultimately betrayed because a writing team had no concept of a 2nd draft. That's before we get to the whole craic about trading Bioshock's bread-and-butter for a frankly bizarre amalgamation of Bioshock and CoD that'll leave fans of neither franchise satisfied.

I played both episode of Burial at Sea last week for the first time. It's an absolute farce they felt that was the story the franchise needed, but it handles a hell of a lot better than base Infinite. The backtracking with the Daisy Fitzroy character is so on the nose you can almost hear Levine and Irrational going "ooooooohhhh yeaaahh. that's not the look now, is it?" I mean, I'd like to think they were just so focused on dropping seeds for the game's twist it didn't occur to them that drawing an equivalence between the Vox Populi, and, y'know, white supremacists, is a bad look, but it's not like Infinite was really known for its delicacy in handling matters of race up until the heel turn.

• Advertisement

Yeah the retconning of Daisy in the DLC was cringingly hamfisted and obviously Ken Levine trying to smooth over the questionable themes of the game.

I didn't much enjoy the first episode of burial at sea as it was more like Bioshock fan service but episode 2 I actually really enjoyed the gameplay of, the stealth worked really well. Pity the time loop nonsense they introduced at the end was more convolution to make the writer seem clever when in reality I was so emotionally divorced from the story I couldn't give a toss.

Have you pulled the finger out and played Minerva's Den yet? I ran through it last week thanks to PSNow and it's the most consistent thing going with the name 'Bioshock' on the front.

I played that ages ago when I finished Bioshock 2.

Found Bioshock 2 a bit of a slog that went on for waaaay to log. Minerva's Den with it's short run time was a much better experience and had a great narrative. It's the best thing to have the Bioshock name attached to it, really loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(Ps4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(ps4)

Remnant from the ashes

Just rolled the credits on the DLC for this last night, mainly did a solo run with randomers popping in now and again to fill the 3 man squad.
    Not a triple AAA title but I really enjoyed it , strikes me as a fusion between Gears of war and dark souls.

Its not overly difficult though on solo, it actually gets harder with a 3 man team, plot is throwaway but I am glad I bought it in the sale.

GAME Streets of Rage 4
    PLATFORM Nintendo Switch

This game is slowly becoming my all time favourite Streets of Rage title.

It was SoR2 my whole life.

I've arguably had more fun playing SoR4 in the last year than I ever did SoR2 in the past 2 and a half decades.

Maybe it's the fact there are things to actually play for in this one. Streets of Rage 2 is unbelievably good, but, like the other 2 games alongside it, it's a game of its time. There is little-to-nothing else to do in those original 3 games besides play through them and that's it (save for SoR3 and the multiple endings). And I've beaten those games so many times throughout my life I think I might be feeling relief to see something new.

I got my Limited Collector's Edition from Limited Run Games today, and I was so in the mood to go back to it again. This might be my preferred port -- the Switch controller (yes, the joycons, not the pro controller) controls much better than I thought. Even using the analog stick gave me no issues. I'm surprised.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    3|GRIS|PLAYSTATION 4
    5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|NINTENDO SWITCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Astro's Playroom|PS5
    2|Spider Man Remastered|PS5
    3|Maneater|PS5

Maneater (PS5) - Really, really repetitive. Nice idea for a while but from the first hour to the last nothing much changes in abilities or things to do. A handy platinum trophy if that's what people are after.

Struggling through Jedi: Fallen Order currently.

Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||

Megaman 8

This is a game that got savaged at launch and really didn't deserve it.

This is a really great Megaman game even if it has some flaws. Levels are too long although the game has continue points halfway through. There are also auto scroller sections which are a little annoying.

The game got a lot of flak for looking like a 16-bit game which is utter nonsense. It's an absolutely gorgeous 2D game that the 16-bit system would not have a hope of pulling off. There's no E-Tanks anymore but the levels and bosses are nicely balanced. Level design is great despite the auto scroller sections and there's some great bosses. Lots of call backs to older Megaman games.

One big plus point is the woeful english voice acting. It's amazing!

Pity the PS1 version is the only one easy to access. The Saturn version has 2 exclusive bosses.

Going to skip Megaman 9 and 10 as I beat them relatively recently and jump back into the X series.

Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||

Megaman X3

That was quick. This has a reputation for being very difficult but I did play it on the not very well known PC release back in the day.

I've nostalgia for this game but after X1 and 2 it's very obvious they didn't put as much effort into this game as it was a very late SNES game. Level design isn't great, the bosses aren't as good, stage interactions are totally gone, and the weapons aren't very useful. It seems a bit rushed, tings like the arm cannon upgrade is actually worse than the standard arm cannon stand out.

It's still a top tier SNES platformer just does not live up to the two classics before it.

Might take a megaman break but plan to move to Megaman and Bass next.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||

Megaman X3

That was quick. This has a reputation for being very difficult but I did play it on the not very well known PC release back in the day.

I've nostalgia for this game but after X1 and 2 it's very obvious they didn't put as much effort into this game as it was a very late SNES game. Level design isn't great, the bosses aren't as good, stage interactions are totally gone, and the weapons aren't very useful. It seems a bit rushed, tings like the arm cannon upgrade is actually worse than the standard arm cannon stand out.

It's still a top tier SNES platformer just does not live up to the two classics before it.

Might take a megaman break but plan to move to Megaman and Bass next.

I envy your patience for those games. I "beat" Megaman 1-6 a couple of years ago but it felt tainted because I abused the hell out of the rewind feature. I'm so bad at them but I keep trying.

I envy your patience for those games. I "beat" Megaman 1-6 a couple of years ago but it felt tainted because I abused the hell out of the rewind feature. I'm so bad at them but I keep trying.

Patience? They're really easy for NES games, the only one that is really hard is Megaman 1 and MM4-6 are a walk in the park I find. I can blast through one in about 2 nights. The Megaman games received negativity at the time for being too short and easy.

I think brute forcing them with rewind will actually give people a bad impression of them. It's kind of like the 30 life code for contra. It actually makes the game harder as you've this safety net so you don't bother learning to play well. Contra is a pretty easy game once you learn to play it. Megaman is the same once you find a robotmaster you can beat it starts to fall into place as you now have a tool to take down one of the others.

I find the MM games perfectly fair and manageable.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Patience? They're really easy for NES games, the only one that is really hard is Megaman 1 and MM4-6 are a walk in the park I find. I can blast through one in about 2 nights. The Megaman games received negativity at the time for being too short and easy.

I think brute forcing them with rewind will actually give people a bad impression of them. It's kind of like the 30 life code for contra. It actually makes the game harder as you've this safety net so you don't bother learning to play well. Contra is a pretty easy game once you learn to play it. Megaman is the same once you find a robotmaster you can beat it starts to fall into place as you now have a tool to take down one of the others.

I find the MM games perfectly fair and manageable.

Oh no I wouldn't argue they're unnecessarily hard. I probably do fall into the category of someone who abused rewind so much that I think I don't need to try, thus by the time I get to a game that's less forgiving (by that I mean, zero rewind - ergo Megaman 7 onwards) it's too jarring. Like I said I envy your patience; you had the patience to learn how to play it, whereas I've a bitter taste in my mouth lol I keep seeing you play the X Collection and I'm like "I'll get there one day :pac:"

16 and 8-bit games just have to be approached differently. You can blast through them in an hour but they have to be difficult so that the play time is typically 6-8 hours. Which means you'll have them beaten in much less time than a modern action game.

Modern games will drag the player along and do their best to not let them die and if you are used to this it can put people off these old games. When you jump into that first level you don't know it and are almost gauranteed to die. But once you play it 2-4 times you'll have it beaten. You just have to know that you will be replaying sections and accept that each time you hit a new area it's more scouting expedition than getting to the end and finishing it.

Later Megaman games also have a lot of crutches to help players through with lots of lives and E-tanks (still some tough games like MM7 and MMX3, and MM8 isn't so bad but there's no e-tanks to brute force your way through the levels).

If it makes you want to give them a go Megaman X and X2 are much easier than Megaman 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Finally finished Divinity Original Sin 2 over the weekend. Was playing it in bursts for a good while. Epic game. 110 hours for the play through. I did think last act dragged on abit but fantastic game overall and loads of replayability.

Started Wasteland 3 last night and liking it so far. Making a conscious effort this year to stick with games until I finish them so will hopefully be updating here again soon. I have so many games I have maybe 70% complete and just need to get back to them so gonna try take one at a time and get a grip on the backlog

TLDR: A complete blast from start to finish, Tomb Raider 2013 is a must play for any lover of third person action adventures.

I think that's the most I've ever seen written about 2013 Tomb raider. I found it.... grand. Decent uncharted clone that was fun but unspectacular. Suffered from some heavy narrative dissonance after a good opening with Lara turning into a nathan drake sociopath but worse.

I also lamented that it had gone fun modern action game, especially after replaying the original Tomb Raider and rediscovering it as an amazing puzzle/platformer that is unique and still holds up. It's more about exploration than murdering (endangered) animals.

I just found the body count insane and how this student turns into the ultimate killing machine.

It's a flaw most games have but it stood out a lot in this one. Especially after the opening sequences that actually did dona good job at it. Then it was lady rambo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4
    A plague tale innocence - Xbox one
    Fifa 20 - Xbox one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spider-Man Miles Morales - Good game! Short, focused and fast: hits all the main open world beats in a fraction of the time of its massive brethren, and all the better for it. Near instant fast travel is there for those rare occasions when you don’t even want to swing across the city (thankfully the navigation is always involved enough to be engaging).

Still, it’s long enough that the limits of the stealth and combat gameplay are apparent. This adds complexity to fighting without necessarily adding depth. A clear opportunity for improvement in whatever form the next game takes.

Paradise Killer - the best, most interesting open world game of 2020 that I played wasn’t some sprawling franchise sequel or half-baked ****e like Cyberpunk 2077. Instead, it’s this weirdo, low-budget detective game set on a nonsense fantasy island.

The lore may be convoluted, the graphics basic, the art style all over the gaff, and the movement fairly janky, but this is nonetheless a game that makes exploring the open world pivotal to the story in a way bigger games don’t. You uncover clues as you search odd environments and interact with absurdly named characters (Henry Division, Lydia Day Break, Lunatic Pope etc...) with the aim of solving a murder mystery. It’s all set on an island that’s about to be totally eradicated so higher beings can try again to create the ‘perfect’ paradise (attempt 25 looms). The story spirals off in wild directions, and you get to know this rather mad island and its geography, hierarchies and many secrets. Shout out to the sound design and limited but winning voice acting - really grew to love the characters’ demented quips and sound bites as the game progressed.

It’s messy and focused simultaneously - an assault of information and visual stimuli that nonetheless comes together fairly nicely in a big finale trial sequence (which you can start at any time, and continues on regardless of who you choose to accuse of any given crime). The visuals and UI are a chaotic sugar trip, but always captivating and distinct. The music is incredible. And all-in-all it’s a pleasure to get to know this surreal island and find out exactly what sinister, preposterous bull**** is afoot. You better believe there’s some seriously sinister, preposterous bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Finished Batman : The Movie on Amiga. I used to be able to do it on one life but seem to have lost my mojo a little.

GAME ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '94
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

My fingers are red. That's all I'm saying.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    3|GRIS|PLAYSTATION 4
    6|ACA NEOGEO: THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94|PLAYSTATION 4

GAME ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '94
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

My fingers are red. That's all I'm saying.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|#|GAME|PLATFORM
    3|GRIS|PLAYSTATION 4
    6|ACA NEOGEO: THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94|PLAYSTATION 4

Did you sweep-scum Rugal?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Did you sweep-scum Rugal?

Haven't got a clue what that is -- I played like a noob, and it took multiple attempts to beat him, so I guess I got lucky? :pac:

GAME The King of Fighters '95 (KOF Collection: The Orochi Saga)
    PLATFORM PlayStation 4

I was just happy to be able to pick my own team this time around.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM
    3|GRIS|PLAYSTATION 4
    6|THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PLAYSTATION 4
    7|THE KING OF FIGHTERS '95 (KOF COLLECTION: THE OROCHI SAGA)|PLAYSTATION 4

Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||

Megaman & Bass

I said I'd take a break from Megaman. I lied.

But I definitely need a break because **** this game.

This is a very late SNES game, 1998, and was created after MM8 on the PS1 as a game for children who couldn't upgrade to the next gen.

For children!?! What kind of children! This game is insanely hard.

To give the game credit the boss fights are mostly good and each level tries multiple new things. It's just the the levels are so tough and then the bosses can be very hard to beat.

You have a choice to play the game as megaman or bass. The levels seem designed around Bass as they are much easier while they are just full of infuriating dick moves for Megaman. But Bass as an awful time with bosses if he doesn't have their weakness.

The absolute worst part of this game are the last two stages. The first of them is a massive super tough stage with two really difficult sub bosses and an end boss with three stages. Lose all your lives? Back to the start with you.

The last level is the classic Megaman boss rush but it's handled completely differently. In all other games you can choose what boss to fight next and get a small amount of healing between each boss meaning there's a lot of strategy. In this you have no choice over what boss you fight as it's totally linear. Between most bosses is a linear section of stage which is tough and some will allow you to heal. Some don't. This isn't a problem for megaman because late game he can..... very slowly regen health. Bass though has an awful time.

These two stages elevate this game to the worst game in the classic series. It's just unfair and bad design.

It uses a lot of graphics from Megeman 8 but isn't quite as well animated. It still looks gorgeous. And while I was not impressed with any of the previous SNES Megaman music this one has some great tunes.

Advertisement