Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this a rip off

• 09-12-2020 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Bought a new oven today in a well established company.€169.99 .Reduce by €20.00 to €149.99.This is where the catch is.They didn't have the model in store so they would deliver it with a hidden charge of €25.00.l told them I would pick it up at the store but they wouldn't allow it cause of covid.Ended up paying €174.99.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Bailey43 wrote: »
    Bought a new oven today in a well established company.€169.99 .Reduce by €20.00 to €149.99.This is where the catch is.They didn't have the model in store so they would deliver it with a hidden charge of €25.00.l told them I would pick it up at the store but they wouldn't allow it cause of covid.Ended up paying €174.99.

So you got it for 149, and paid 25 for delivery. Seems to be exactly as it was meant to be? Maybe the delivery was a bit expensive, but that's relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bailey43

So you got it for 149, and paid 25 for delivery. Seems to be exactly as it was meant to be? Maybe the delivery was a bit expensive, but that's relative.

The point I was making is it should have been the marked price.It shouldn't be my problem they don't have them in store and charge me extra for the privilege of delivering it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bailey43 wrote: »
    The point I was making is it should have been the marked price.It shouldn't be my problem they don't have them in store and charge me extra for the privilege of delivering it to me

Why didn't ye refuse it so if ye weren't happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the item you purchased was the marked price. there is nothing unusual about charging for delivery. you could have refused to pay the delivery, and not accepted the oven. But once they inform you of the charges in advance - then i don't understand your point of view. Do you accept there is cost to the company to deliver an item to your house?

Its not your fault, but neither is it theres if the model of over you wanted was not available in store. They cannot absorb a 25 euro cost on an item that retails at 169.99 but was sold at sale price of 149.99. you must understand businesses that sell items at a loss dont stay open very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

Agree with the OP here. If you wanted the oven it was costing you 175€ not 149€.

So how was it possible to purchase it for 145 in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

It's only a rip off if you did not know the price, you clearly knew what it cost for delivery and choose to pay it, saying that you should have been allowed to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Is it a well known retailer?
    i tried to purchase a hood extrator. Had the same discussion, i.e. none in stock, could only deliver, for 25 euro, and was told i couldn't pick it up. This was befre Covid. i returned three times over a period of nine months, once during Covid, and was told the same thing.

Truth is they never have any intention of having it in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

rock22 wrote: »
    Is it a well known retailer?
    i tried to purchase a hood extrator. Had the same discussion, i.e. none in stock, could only deliver, for 25 euro, and was told i couldn't pick it up. This was befre Covid. i returned three times over a period of nine months, once during Covid, and was told the same thing.

Truth is they never have any intention of having it in stock

Always walk away.
    There is enough choice nowadays to shop elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Currys website lists plenty of stuff for online sale that will never be in stock. It just lets you order items they otherwise wouldn't sell at all.

You wasted three return trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Slanty wrote:
    So how was it possible to purchase it for 145 in the first place?

Look up any online store & unless they are offering free delivery then they have the sale price & delivery is added on at checkout. I don't see how this is any different. Some of my own suppliers here in Dublin won't let me collect during the pandemic. I have to pay a delivery charge. This is perfectly normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

it is a hidden charge if they refuse to get it in stock. you should incur extra cost to have it delivered to your home if that is a service you wish to avail of. you should not incur extra cost to have the item delivered from their warehouse to their retail store if they are a retail store. if pick up not available then advertised sale price should be described as home delivery only *charges apply

Advertisement