Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

• Teams can adapt to playing with 14 men, teams can not adapt to one part of the set piece becoming a guaranteed penalty for the opposition. This isn't just my opinion, plenty of the post game commentary has highlighted the scrum as England's avenue into the game.

An objective view of the game does throw up plenty of positives. England didn't come close to scoring a try and only made it into our 22 via kicks to the corner (at least once from a scrum penalty). Ireland were FAR better ball in hand, had far more line breaks, defenders beaten, meters run and we won a good deal more of our ruck ball. One area where things were closer to parity? Territory - and that's what a dominant scrum does despite the rest of their game being completely second best. That's what's called being objective.

And you ignore the second part of what I said - qualifying the negatives. The biggest negative for me outside the scrum was the mistakes made against Italy being repeated. We kept trying to force it when all we needed to do was hold onto the ball. Lowe's offload, Beirne's offload and to a degree Doris's offloads that went forward were all tries within a few phases had we recycled in my opinion. Furlong carries with both hands instead of one into contact and again - we've possession inside the English 5m line.

These are fixable issues and let's remember why we're playing like this. Generally - we've had a decade of watching Ireland hammer away at try lines only not to score. Secondly - we really needed a bonus point from today. We need to reign it in a little bit especially when playing against 14 - but we definitely need to be a team that can strike more quickly and adeptly than we've done historically so I like this evolution of our game - building towards a world cup.

"Yep, let's just ignore out in gain decision making and on-field leadership."

Going to highlight this last part. England brought it back to 15 all, were in the ascendancy and knew that every knock on was a territory gain for them. The crowd were fever pitch. It was one of the best examples of leadership I've seen from an Ireland team to not just claw back the win, but to push on for a bonus point. I think that would have been beyond us in the past.

I think you're being ridiculously negative to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We played against 14 men and utterly outplayed them.

What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

O'Mahony is a classic case of Ireland keeping players around too long. Heaslip was the same story, was a million miles from his best for a lengthy period of time.

Finally Murray is coming off the bench but was a starter for a solid two years beyond his best days. Kearney was a similar story but not as offensive as the aforementioned.

We're far too teary-eyed about our players and need to be more ruthless if we want to compete at World Cups.

The fact we're likely gonna start a 38-year-old Sexton at a World Cup in 18 months is utterly bonkers. He'll be the second oldest player ever to play at a World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

The fact we're likely gonna start a 38-year-old Sexton at a World Cup in 18 months is utterly bonkers. He'll be the second oldest player ever to play at a World Cup.

We're likely going to start our best available team. If Sexton is still our best out half in 18 months he'll start. Explain how that's bonkers?

Surely starting a clearly inferior player because he's younger is even more bonkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You posted this nonsense yesterday and deleted it soon after. So I'll just paste my reply to your original.

Heaslip was a consistently excellent player to the day he retired. No idea where you've got the idea that he stayed on too long. He suffered his back injury in 2017. In 2016 he was nominated for World Player of the Year.

He's in the conversation alongside POC, BOD and Sexton for the greatest Irish player in the professional era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

We went into yesterday game favourites. If England had 15 players on the pitch I don't think we would have been comfortably beaten. That's my concern. Maybe we improve before the world cup, maybe we can hope at the world cup when we okay elite teams that they'll be playing 78 minutes with one man less then us.

We won. But there were far more that concerned me then the opposite when talking about where we will be next year and for the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

England lifted their individual performances and absolutely emptied themselves to get back level aided by a very poor ref.

They never looked like scoring a try where as we had plenty of opportunities. A red card disrupts the game for both sides, we could have dealt with it better but we still scored 4 tries to none in twickenham, that deserves respect no matter what the circumstances.

Hugo Keenan is an incredible rugby player. Makes the correct decision so often. Think he's going to be one if the first names on the teamsheet for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

Finlay Bealham's dad, who hasn't seen his son in 2 years, crying after seeing his haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm finding the negativity after that game totally ridiculous. On here, media reaction, it's absurd.

For once, I agree with Stephen Jones.

• I think England have been fairly paltry, unenergetic and disinterested throughout the tournament. I think they were the opposite yesterday and that can be important for a team. If they go on to beat France next week I think the narrative will be that the team turned a corner attitude wise under adversity in yesterdays game and built a performance out of that.

If they lose then yeah - a once off effort but a team going backwards otherwise.

I don't think either side should be happy coming away from the game, but I can see why England are pleased they brought it back to 15 all and got the crowd behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Don't mind RTE, I have yet to see some of them give any praise. EOS was the same and Flannary was just laughing at him. A bonus point victory and the best team lost, crazy sh*t

ALl England done all day was tackle players and kick the ball as high as possible. They done it well but they showed nothing else, Ireland created all the chances and scored all the tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thought the back 3 did well yesterday, Keenan was very good, Lowe had some great runs, his ability to stay on the pitch and drive the extra yard is great and Conway was also very good in particular a couple of 50/22s, although I thought after the first one he had a look of a man who just realised he could do it.

I think Ringrose is having his strongest Six Nations to date. We've always known he was a very talented runner with ball in hand and he showed that ability against Wales and France.

Yesterday though, he showed his passing skills. On two separate occasions he found himself with a bit if space in front of him. Twice he straightened the line, fixed the defender and passed to a man in space. That led to two trys for us.

He has been criticised at times for not being aware of what's around him. But yesterday he displayed the basics of outside centre play perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Heaslip isnt even in the conversation for best no.8 we ever had....

Id have willie duggan, eric miller, cj stander, anthony foley...even john muldoon ahead of him....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Never seen Willie Duggan play so I can't comment on that. But Heaslip was a far better player than anyone else on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I really like Foley. Knew fatmans track better than anyone. One of the smartest players on pitch you will ever see but i would have Heaslip ahead. Heaslip also well ahead of Miller and Muldoon. Not a bit close for either of them. Willie Duggan ahead of my time so cant comment too much on him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

England's 'heroic defeat' will give Jones something to grasp onto. Realistically they have serious problems. Ireland cut them apart. Scotland beat them. Wales had every opportunity.

The last couple of years their 6 nations campaigns have been poor. The blazers at the RFU might be sharpening their knives. World Cup next year has probably bought Jones a little more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've no problem being critical with our performance, because frankly i spent quite a while effin and blinding at the TV with the amount of penalties and unforced errors. We need to be critical and I'm sure the team will be too. Gone are the days of we won and that's all that matters.

But as you said, England didn't threaten our line at all and the really spent the majority of the game in their own half on the back foot

England played well in but they shot their load getting to 15-15, they were exhausted and it showed. But they were not the better team, not by a long shot.

Going in to Twickenham as favourites and winning by 17 is a good result by any metric. We have gone their before when we were fancied and got our arses handed to us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What utter nonsense.

Heaslip was immense. 229 Leinster caps, 100 test caps (95 Ireland, 5 Lions), a stack of medals to back it up. He was integral part of a Leinster side that won 3 HC in 4 seasons

He is one of the best players we have ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Did anyone think the reactions of some of the English forwards to a turnover or winning a scrum penalty bordered on derangement

Jamie George and genge and itoje over the top reactions were comical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

A few here mentioning how we were favourites yesterday... I checked paddypower just before kick off yesterday and they had England as favourites by a solitary point in the handicap betting.

So England were favourites in the eyes of paddypower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nothing wrong with it tbh. Theyre coached to celebrate these things. It came through the sarries players a lot. They were encouraged do it at Sarries. Players there are told to celebrate the small victories and often celebrate if they get a turnover because they want to celebrate the effort of the players around them.

Sarries came up with that, that's why you had George and Itoje leading the rest of the players. The do it to try and get a reaction from the other players.

Fair play to the Irish players for not reacting and well played to Sexton for running up after the Irish players lost the ball and gave anyone a big shout, clap on back etc. Made George who was shouting and roaring look like a plonker.

L

That's not a "heroic defeat", they never looked in an ass's roar of scoring a try. The whole game plan was based on tackling anything that moved and kicking the ball, which is more or less what Jones has done in every game. Of course some England fans think it was great but the rest can see it as nothing more than another balls up made by Jones.

That been said he wont be sacked, he will sack all the coach's he hired last year, if he manages to fall onto another coach like Mitchell then England of course could do great things in Wc, if not then Jones is in big trouble. He should have let Mitchell go watch his son.

Jones took over an England team in 2015 which had a huge issue in centre with Manu wasn't available, in 2022 he is still managing a team which has a huge issue when Manu us not available, he never even tried to fix the issue. Manu injured for WC and they are also screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Eric Miller better than Heaslip 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Wish they would all stop those sneaky looks at the TV monitor.

Eric Miller was a good player. But the most memorable thing he ever did was get a 30 day ban for kicking Anthony Foley in the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

Not at all. It was exactly the right thing to do in that situation. They were clearly up against a mamooth task and mentally celebrating those victories to keep and moral and adrenaline up is essential in those situations.

That was really the only positive from England's performance yesterday. They fought hard all the way and never gave up. Being honest I was actually surprised they did, I would have said it more likely they turn in a bit of a shambles.

Advertisement