Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,353 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They extended the licences by 4 months. My appointment was in Kildare during the lockdown so I had to cancel.
    License expired last week on the doc, but thanks to the extension I can wait a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I've been trying to renew a driving licence online for days now and the site seems to be having problems. MyGov ID verification all working as expected and NDLS site itself is fine until you click 'Apply Online' but no joy getting past that. It just hangs and flashes with a timer and goes nowhere.

I've tried a few different browsers too, but no success. It's a pain, as each time you have to logon and then wait for a further SMS code before you find out it's not working.

Anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Same issue no matter the browser or network

EDIT: it's bugging out if you MyGovID hasn't been verified

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had to ring NDLS this week over similar: their system couldn't find the driver number.

She could find the record by PPSN only, so did it that way.

I was GovID verified, didn't seem to help.

The system is obviously awol.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I had the same issue where I got to selecting the time and then it would bomb out. Used IE and it worked.
    Slightly on topic : Is there any extension allowed for, during this time, the date on your licence? I cant seem to get a date prior to my licence date expiring.

• Advertisement

I just got an email response from NDSL after querying this a few days ago - they say they're not aware of any problems :rolleyes: They want screenshots and detailed info as they say it's just my problem.

MyGov ID is verified already, so it isn't that. It's a right PITA when something that should be so simple is made so difficult. Apparently, I can't book an appointment to renew in person as I'm supposed to be able to renew online.

It seems to be working again at the moment, for however long it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Hi All,

So my provisional bike licence is due for renewal and I cant seem to find it. I also have a full drivers licence. Is the driver number the same for both? Can I apply for a replacement licence and also renew it at the same time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik you need to report the lost licence/permit in a Garda station and get proof of having done so. You can't renew without this proof. Probably the same procedure applies for a replacement.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭shane b

I dont know about the driver number but the replacement liecence is only for the same term as the lost one. They dont allow you to extend it for another 10 years.
    You have to book an appointment with the NDLS, my wife got a replacement licence last week but she had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment. There is no walk in services due to covid i believe. There is a form to get filled in and stamped by the Gardai too, to verify its missing.

• Advertisement

Iv gotten an appointment for the 17th November which was the earliest for me. Ill head down to the guards to get the form signed and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just to say, keep trying on the NDLS booking system.
    I managed to book a last minute appointment for the following day last month. Just needed to keep refreshing and wait for cancellations to show up on the system

lucalux wrote: »
    Just to say, keep trying on the NDLS booking system.
    I managed to book a last minute appointment for the following day last month. Just needed to keep refreshing and wait for cancellations to show up on the system

Is there any way of checking without cncelling my current booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

marcos_94 wrote: »

Oh, now that I don't know...

I see there is an option of 'reviewing' your appointment on the website, so I would check there first. I suppose it's only to view, or cancel, or cancel and reschedule though.

Seeing as it's over a month away, I would probably cancel and try for a closer one, but I was willing to travel for mine and had the time to do that, and drove an hour to get mine. That might not suit you though, I realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get someone else to check or use someones else's details to look for an appointment, if you find one cancel your one then.

I dug through the wholle house and turns out my brother had it.. I can now confirm that the driver number is the sameon both.

Ill have another look around the website to see if theres any way of checking other appointments without cancelling mine

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I dug through the wholle house and turns out my brother had it..
    I lost my licence about 20 years ago and went through the whole process of replacing it. The day the replacement licence arrived in the post, I found the original one.

(The replacement licence has a code on it indicating that it is a replacement. I've been informed that this is to prevent you from using the original again if found. I don't understand how that would work. If the original was presented to a Garda etc., they wouldn't know just by looking at it that it had been replaced).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

ah lads the site is bringing me around in circles - I have a mygovid account, so I go to NDLS and end up just going back into the same cycle - anyone got any tips for actually progressing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

cjmcork wrote: »
    ah lads the site is bringing me around in circles - I have a mygovid account, so I go to NDLS and end up just going back into the same cycle - anyone got any tips for actually progressing with it?

I just tried it using MS Edge browser and got the flashing issue that RoYoBo had a while ago once I entered the MyGov logon details.

I then closed Edge and tried Chrome and it is working just fine for me so it looks like it may be a browser issue.

If you have already tried using Chrome then I am out of ideas, but if not, then give it a go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Miscreant wrote: »
    I just tried it using MS Edge browser and got the flashing issue that RoYoBo had a while ago once I entered the MyGov logon details.

I then closed Edge and tried Chrome and it is working just fine for me so it looks like it may be a browser issue.

If you have already tried using Chrome then I am out of ideas, but if not, then give it a go. :)

it was a browser issue in the end - thanks!

• Advertisement

It seems to be some kind of intermittent site problem IME. My original browser was Chrome and I tried both Firefox and Edge, with the same unsuccessful result.

But since then, I found it worked once on Chrome and I thought it was solved, so waited to renew until I had more time available. Gone again when I went back 30 minutes later and same with the other browsers.

Gave up and made an appointment ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RY4

I was getting nowhere with it yesterday afternoon, tried it last night about 130am and flew through it. No problems at all. I'm thinking there's a lot of people on the site and it can't cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sobiet

applied on nov 4 for renewal by post in cork for over 70 s. as per invatation letter. no news of it yet. does anyone know of e mail address for them or a phone number. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

sobiet wrote: »
    applied on nov 4 for renewal by post in cork for over 70 s. as per invatation letter. no news of it yet. does anyone know of e mail address for them or a phone number. Any help would be appreciated.

Contact details for NDLS are here: https://www.ndls.ie/help/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

NDLS centre in Cork is terrible, don't know why appointment times is allocated and no cash taken

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it sucks, but it's on their website
    https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply/fees.html
    Unfortunately cash payments are not currently accepted at NDLS centres. Payment can only be made via credit or debit card, Google Pay or Apple Pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi Everyone,

I need some help please.

I need my driving licence renewed........

I think i need the following:

Appointment at the centre
    Passport (proof of ID)
    Utility bill (proof of address)
    Payment for licence - is credit card ok?
    Do i need a passport size photo or do they take one there?

am i missing anything?

Thanks
    Tanka

If you have a verified MyGov ID you can renew online without going to a Centre.

They are limiting appointments to essential workers at the moment, there is a thread on this further down the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

tanka006 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I need some help please.

I need my driving licence renewed........

I think i need the following:

Appointment at the centre
    Passport (proof of ID)
    Utility bill (proof of address)
    Payment for licence - is credit card ok?
    Do i need a passport size photo or do they take one there?

am i missing anything?

Thanks
    Tanka

You don't need a photo, it's taken in the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Thanks Guys.

I don't have a MyGov ID - i guess i will need to wait

Good to know that they take the photo

Will the passport & energia bill be enough documents

Thanks to all

Tanka

Advertisement