Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

mamaz wrote: »
    I find myself answering what is the worst case and the best case and then just fill the other two in from there. You don't know if you want to be an office snitch or if you're helping!

Imagine the person scoring these questionnaires and being like “snitches get stitches”.. :pac:

Ya, your right. I've been self employed and in the private sector for last 20 years, so have always been straight wherever I worked. I suppose it's the applying for public jobs and waiting 6 or 12 months to hear back is the frustrating part. But all these things tend to work themselves out for the best in the end.

Fair play! Working for someone else is pretty simple, just give reasonable amount of notice when leaving a job, normally outlined in your contract. That’s pretty much it! What career you decide is your choice.

But, it is a long enough wait. You’re correct about them working out for the best in the end though! Even if you don’t get something now, there are always lessons to be learned and experience gained! Not to mention many opportunities in the future.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Public Jobs have updated their website:

https://publicjobs.ie/en/covid19/candidates
    Upcoming Key Recruitment Activity
    Clerical Officer 2020

• The Stage 1 Online Assessment Questionnaire is live from Friday 27th March until 1pm on Monday, 30th March 2020 as planned.
    • Stage 2 Interviews are expected to take place in mid-late April. Full details will issue in advance.
    • The email address for the CO 2020 is CO2020@publicjobs.ie
    Will i need to attend chapter house for any part of a recruitment process?

No. Until further notice there will be no requirement to attend our premises in Dublin city centre. By utilising the full range of advanced technologies and methodologies we have at our disposal, we will be conducting the process in new ways that will not require you to attend Chapter House.
    How will interviews take place?

For a number of years we have been examining and using a range of new and leading edge technologies to support different parts of our recruitment process. Some of these have included different types of eg ‘video based’ interviews. With the onset COVID-19, we are in a position to quickly and seamlessly introduce new ways of conducting interview. If you are being called forward for interview, we will inform you in advance as to the format of that interview so that you can get ready and help you to perform to your best. It’s also worth following our social media channels for other tips and advice on how to perform to your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Tried to get into questionnaire only some of it displays on phone No wifi where I'm staying Argh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tried to get into questionnaire only some of it displays on phone No wifi where I'm staying Argh!!

Use your phone as a wifi hotspot maybe.

Go into settings,data, mobile hotspot and tethering.

Turn it on and on your laptop/tablet device, connect to the phone through that and the password listed on your phone at that screen.

Should get you out of a hole if you need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Thanks for that Rikand you're a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SolidAir010

Good info thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Is there opportunities for promotion?

Is there a way into revenue through being a CO?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

Thank you for this very informative information regarding CO competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mikeym wrote: »

Dont know about the revenue but there does seem to be an aging workforce in the civil service and a good number of them are set to retire in the next couple of years. There should be good opportunities to promote over the next couple of years either through internal or external competitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

I'm from Limerick, have been told there is a good few jobs going in the courts there...

Completing the assessment later, any tips on it, what type of questions come up, havent done one in a verrrry long time and it was for the council? Do we need calculators?

Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Laura99

I'm from Limerick, have been told there is a good few jobs going in the courts there...

Completing the assessment later, any tips on it, what type of questions come up, havent done one in a verrrry long time and it was for the council? Do we need calculators?

Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks

No calculator needed. When you click the link before going into the questions, there is a link for familiarisation material. It shows examples of what the questions will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

mikeym wrote: »

Revenue is one of the departments. You dont get to pick a department to go to, you get allocated according to your place on the list and positions available. Once in you can apply for mobility and may be entitled to transfer to another department. Promotion from CO is through internal and open competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jamescahill

Just finished the questionnaire, seemed straight forward enough few tricky ones though how did everyone get on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

ge_ch wrote: »
    The online assessment questionnaire (multiple choice and situation based) should not take more than an hour to complete. Candidates will then be given a panel number and will be called for interview based on this. There will be NO aptitude tests for this competition.
    Sounds very similar to the TCO recruitment process.

How do you know there won't be any aptitude tests for this competition?

I’ve never had an online interview in my life! I’d find something like that extremely uncomfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ShellBell89

job seeker wrote: »
    I’ve never had an online interview in my life! I’d find something like that extremely uncomfortable!

Me neither 😬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jamescahill

Does anyone have an idea on how many they are actually planning on taking on ?

Does anyone have an idea on how many they are actually planning on taking on ?

Your application is for a place on a panel so unfortunately your guess is as good as anyone elses.

I am certain there is someone somewhere that has a rough idea how many they plan to take on this year however that information isn't public so essential you should assume the answer is 1 with the knowledge that they will hire more as vacancies arise or people retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

Hi all im going doing the online part soon just wondering any tips? I done one before & didnt do too well as i didnt want to look like id be running to boss if someone not doing what they should so any idea do they want us to snitch on people or just sit back & do our own thing im so confused but would realy like a shot at getting a job as im not working at moment thanks in advance & good luck to you all

• Advertisement

tiny14 wrote: »
    Hi all im going doing the online part soon just wondering any tips? I done one before & didnt do too well as i didnt want to look like id be running to boss if someone not doing what they should so any idea do they want us to snitch on people or just sit back & do our own thing im so confused but would realy like a shot at getting a job as im not working at moment thanks in advance & good luck to you all

1. In part A and B, don't be afraid to definitive. Over use of the middle option such as "cannot say" may be seen as an inability to make decisions.

2. In the situational jugdement section, I try to identify what the underlining issue/issues are and select each response on the basis of how well the response does in resolving all the issue
    - A good response should address all the issues or provide the possibility of a lasting solution,
    - An adequate response may be quick fix but doesn't address all the issues involved,
    - A weak response may address some part of the issue but disregards other parts or disregards a key point of information provided,
    - A bad response avoids the underlining issues completely or disregards a major piece of information or makes the situation worst instead of better.

3. Don't assume that running to the boss is about landing people in the bog; It may about get a colleague the support or assistance they need to improve or success at the task or project.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭babygirl30

I totally agree, those aptitude tests have no bearing whatsoever on the job you do as a clerical officer. It's nonsense!!!!!

1. In part A and B, don't be afraid to definitive. Over use of the middle option such as "cannot say" may be seen as an inability to make decisions.

2. In the situational jugdement section, I try to identify what the underlining issue/issues are and select each response on the basis of how well the response does in resolving all the issue
    - A good response should address all the issues or provide the possibility of a lasting solution,
    - An adequate response may be quick fix but doesn't address all the issues involved,
    - A weak response may address some part of the issue but disregards other parts or disregards a key point of information provided,
    - A bad response avoids the underlining issues completely or disregards a major piece of information or makes the situation worst instead of better.

3. Don't assume that running to the boss is about landing people in the bog; It may about get a colleague the support or assistance they need to improve or success at the task or project.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for your advice and going to the trouble of replying il lef you no how it goes as il be doing it in morning & goof luck

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭babygirl30

tiny14 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your advice and going to the trouble of replying il lef you no how it goes as il be doing it in morning & goof luck
    Just a follow-up personally I think your always better to include your line manager in decisions whether or not you feel your snitching on someone else, that's their job to look after their team members. Best of Luck in the morning, don't over-think, go with your gut feeling! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Veee doneagal lass

tiny14 wrote:
    Can you use good response for all 4 answers or do you have to use the 4 responses for each answer thanks very much im up in a heap now panicking and 2nd guessing

It says on the page before not all questions have a good answer pick best and worst and than the rest. Dont over think my first time ever applying for a public job and I taught they were ok to be fair some obviously a bit tricky bit you will be fine just be honest best of luck with the rest 👌

It says on the page before not all questions have a good answer pick best and worst and than the rest. Dont over think my first time ever applying for a public job and I taught they were ok to be fair some obviously a bit tricky bit you will be fine just be honest best of luck with the rest 👌

Just done it & it was ok the scenarios are what catches me but tis done now so we can hope for the best!! Thanks for reply & i done as advised & good luck with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

Did it yesterday, found it ok. Had practised the aptitude testing on the public jobs and found the scenarios ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

Done & dusted best of luck everyone! Coming over from 2018 competition, if your not in u can't win 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Roughly how long does it take for the results to be sent out? Thanks

• Advertisement

Roughly how long does it take for the results to be sent out? Thanks

Think mid april

Advertisement