Thread Closed  

21-01-2020, 20:34   #61
M5

Last week it was someone who found Irish people too familiar.

Can't win!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2020, 20:36   #62
New to Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravmaga View Post
Visiting Ireland on a holiday and living in Ireland are two completely different things.

I know some Americans that loved visiting Ireland every year, when they retired they sold up in USA and moved here, within 6 months they were back in the States.

I lived in UK, London for many years and made the effort to settle in.

You mention in your Opening post that you are losing your love of this country, so you did like it at one stage, was that when you were visiting during a holiday?

Irish people in general compared to our European counterparts are friendly but you have to remember Irish people are very clannish, stick together, family is important. Irish people will have made friends since early childhood, school buddies and they keep that network throughout their life. They dont need to make new friends so are you expecting to be invited into your neighbours houses?

What does your Irish wife have to say about your feelings on Ireland, did you talk to her about it before opening up on Boards to release your discontentment.?

You cant make an entire generalisation that the whole country is rude as that's just not true.

Im polite and do my bit to be courteous and helpful everyday, gave up my seat on the DART this evening for a pregnant lady when other passengers did not budge.

I suspect you maybe American?
Thank you for your reply and what you have written. Thank you for being polite. It's is nice to hear. Agree with your points, my wife says similar but she is only starting to see things from a non-Irish perspective which is hard for her too - hard for an international couple both ways I guess. To live here, I am basically thinking that I need to stop having feelings for fellow humans, start being rude and drop manners, and use dark humor as a way of connecting with people in meaningless conversations at a pub with a bunch of alcoholics hating on the world - and Ireland while watching English soccer.
21-01-2020, 20:36   #63
Mervyn Skidmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongarboy View Post
OP, if your wife is Irish, have you not asked her why we are all so allegedly rude?
He did, she told him to f**k off and stop asking stupid questions.
21-01-2020, 20:36   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Ireland View Post
but it was a genuine question to Irish people, why do you think you might be rude? Don't you find other Irish people rude?
I'm not rude nor do I find other people to be rude (apart from the occasional but sure you can't please everyone and if people want to be that way it's their loss).

I think you're either mixing with the wrong people or putting out the wrong vibes. Plenty of nice folk in this place.
21-01-2020, 20:38   #65
iamwhoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Repulsive Necktie View Post
I'm not rude nor do I find other people to be rude (apart from the occasional but sure you can't please everyone).

I think you're either mixing with the wrong people or putting out the wrong vibes. Plenty of nice folk in this place.
I am not rude either and nor are any of my family or friends .
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2020, 20:38   #66
dubrov

Wild speculation here but OP, it sounds like you reluctantly moved here because of your wife. Now, you are going out of your way to prove to her how bad a place it is with hopes that she moves there.

You'll alienate her completely if you keep going the way you are going
21-01-2020, 20:42   #67
New to Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongarboy View Post
Ok, can you provide 3 specific examples (no need to give identifiable details obviously) of rudeness you encountered so we can help assess whether they were extremely, moderately, marginally or not rude at all? Just saying the nation is so rude or so unfriendly us too subjective.
I could write a book of my experience. From an 'immigration' department that doesn't even answer the phone and write reply emails )as a government organisation) as one-liners, to Garda that don't report to the front desk as they are off doing whatever, to people in shops not acknowledging you at the counter and throwing your items across the counter without saying thank you, from people cutting you off and yelling at you in the street for no reason and abusing you, to taking 10 minutes to serve you a pint because you're not local. From people at the train stations saying "the ticket machine" angrily when you bring a faulty ticket ti their attention to seeing taxi drivers almost mash people on the roads and people almost getting into fights over the most dumbest ****. It is top level from government, right down through the social strata, shops, pubs, websites, public service sectors and industry. And the people in the street who do NOT say hello and can't wait to edge in front of you for no reason at all.
21-01-2020, 20:43   #68
ongarboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post

“Are you ok?” is a typical greeting by a shop assistant or reception staff. It sounds rude, offhand, as if you, the customer, are an inconvenience. I have to honest and admit I do often used that awful phrase in my line of work. Management seem to accept that, and indeed use it often themselves. It often annoys me to be treated like that, and I have pangs of guilt thinking at how offhand I was at times.
If saying "are you ok" in a neutral or even polite tone is considered rude, offhand or being treated like an inconvenience, then the snowflake generation is worse than I thought! Someone is going out of their way to be seek offence if that is considered rude.

I suppose I'm also rude and unfriendly for challenging these posts!
(2) thanks from:
21-01-2020, 20:46   #69
New to Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrov View Post
Wild speculation here but OP, it sounds like you reluctantly moved here because of your wife. Now, you are going out of your way to prove to her how bad a place it is with hopes that she moves there.

You'll alienate her completely if you keep going the way you are going
I can see how you'd say that but sadly no. I grew up )overseas) my whole life with an Irish heritage and couldn't wait to make the trip over here and was so excited. I read and studied and my first ever trip overseas was straight here. I was dissapointed then with rude, coldness. I tried again, came back over again excited thinking it was just me. Second time same but I made the most of it. Now living here, trying, day after day, exhausted from the rudeness, but my intention is to stay here and adjust. Not move. But this is hard.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2020, 20:46   #70
ThewhiteJesus
Banned

I’m Irish and agree 100% with the op, obviously not everyone but a large % of our population are self serving narcissistic twits
21-01-2020, 20:49   #71
flange888

Send a message via MSN to flange888
It disappoints me to hear that you have that opinion.
I don't think people here are truly that bad and I can only hope that you have just met some "bad eggs".
Yes I think some aspects of social interaction and good manners are slowly being eroded but I think that's true for all nationalities.
Thanks from:
21-01-2020, 20:50   #72

So Newtoireland, what country are you from ? You have been asked this previously but I haven't seen an answer. A genuine question by the way.
21-01-2020, 20:51   #73
kravmaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Ireland View Post
Thank you for your reply and what you have written. Thank you for being polite. It's is nice to hear. Agree with your points, my wife says similar but she is only starting to see things from a non-Irish perspective which is hard for her too - hard for an international couple both ways I guess. To live here, I am basically thinking that I need to stop having feelings for fellow humans, start being rude and drop manners, and use dark humor as a way of connecting with people in meaningless conversations at a pub with a bunch of alcoholics hating on the world - and Ireland while watching English soccer.
Your welcome, well my partner is from Central Europe, we live in Dublin.

She does find that in Dublin people do bump into her as they are rushing
and dont apologise for it. She does not like in shops staff constantly ask her "Are you okay" instead of saying "How may I help you".

I don't think the people in the pubs are all alcoholics , they may get a bit of dutch courage to give their personal opinions on current affairs, events, news media etc

There is more to life than visiting pubs with English football on Sky TV.

Why don't you get out hiking and travel around the country a bit.

Get into following Leinster rugby or join your local Rugby club, forget about the local pub watching English soccer on TV.

What is your nationality by the way?
(2) thanks from:
21-01-2020, 20:51   #74
New to Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange888 View Post
It disappoints me to hear that you have that opinion.
I don't think people here are truly that bad and I can only hope that you have just met some "bad eggs".
Yes I think some aspects of social interaction and good manners are slowly being eroded but I think that's true for all nationalities.
Me too. Maybe it's a 12-month thing and I'll adjust...
21-01-2020, 20:52   #75
BorneTobyWilde

My guess is you're in Dublin. Dublin is not Ireland, it's the exact opposite of Ireland.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed