Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flybe on the brink of collapse

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sad news hope it doesn’t happen, it would have a big impact in Belfast City airport and Knock airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Sounds like one of the new investors could be getting cold feet after seeing just now dire things are behind the scenes at Flybe.

A real shame if it does collapse, the staff have had a really tough couple of years so I feel for them the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irishkopite93

I wonder if this implicates Stobart under the Connect Airways umbrella set up last year.

Were both airlines kept separate financially and operationally? Or if Flybe collapses does it bring Stobart with it?

I wonder if this implicates Stobart under the Connect Airways umbrella set up last year.

Were both airlines kept separate financially and operationally? Or if Flybe collapses does it bring Stobart with it?

No they’re separate companies, Stobart actually own part of Flybe but are run entirely as a separate company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Is LoganAir still connected to Flybe in some way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 irishkopite93

Locker10a wrote: »
    No they’re separate companies, Stobart actually own part of Flybe but are run entirely as a separate company

So profits and losses are kept entirely separate? I knew they operated separately under their individual AOC's but I wasn't sure how it worked financially.

Just to clarify Stobart in my original post referred to Stobart Air (ex Aer Arann) and not Stobart group.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 King Mog

Isle of Mann will be hit bad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Everybody who flies into Knock always pulls out or gets into trouble.

Everybody who flies into Knock always pulls out or gets into trouble.

Well the other two long term airlines serving Knock are Ryanair and Aer Lingus, no sign of trouble there .... so

So profits and losses are kept entirely separate? I knew they operated separately under their individual AOC's but I wasn't sure how it worked financially.

Just to clarify Stobart in my original post referred to Stobart Air (ex Aer Arann) and not Stobart group.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/irish/stobart-air-soars-as-profits-reach-3-3m-37730976.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Just booked with them last week due a wedding in Edinburgh, paid the accommodation last night, work up to this news today.

They’ve been bailed out by UK government

“Cabinet trio to thrash out £100m Flybe rescue package”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/cabinet-trio-to-thrash-out-100m-flybe-rescue-package-11908144

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Just booked with them last week due a wedding in Edinburgh, paid the accommodation last night, work up to this news today.

Hav a trip to take the kids to Peppa Pig world (Southampton) in March. Paid with credit card so of they collapse should get money back (have credit card insurance too).

Selfishly if they are going to collapse I hope they go quickly so we can make alternative arrangements before things get expensive.

Obviously not nice for staff, will be a killer for provincial.UK if they close too. Hopefully for everyones sake it can be saved and that happens quickly so staff can have peace of mind re their future.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Hav a trip to take the kids to Peppa Pig world (Southampton) in March. Paid with credit card so of they collapse should get money back (have credit card insurance too).

Selfishly if they are going to collapse I hope they go quickly so we can make alternative arrangements before things get expensive.

Obviously not nice for staff, will be a killer for provincial.UK if they close too. Hopefully for everyones sake it can be saved and that happens quickly so staff can have peace of mind re their future.

As above they’ve been bailed out it seems so you’re travel in March should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So can the UK government rescue a company like that while in the eu or is this specifically possible due to leaving the eu?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Locker10a wrote: »
    As above they’ve been bailed out it seems so you’re travel in March should be fine

Holding back the govt tax, thought that idea half been ruled out - if i's approved hopefully it gives the airline some breathing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

mickdw wrote: »
    So can the UK government rescue a company like that while in the eu or is this specifically possible due to leaving the eu?

You always could, but there is a cap at 150 million euro I think, and it will need EU approval.

Airlines when going under generally owe an awful lot more so the provision is not used often, Flybe has a future, its the legacy financial baggage which is dragging it down, very different to Thomas Cook which was simply unable to trade at a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You always could, but there is a cap at 150 million euro

Thanks. I didn't know that. I thought state aid was very closely controlled within the EU to keep a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Thanks. I didn't know that. I thought state aid was very closely controlled within the EU to keep a level playing field.

I’d bet in any event that any grumbling from the EU with “Independence Day” around the corner would be met with some of the gestures you see between fans at football matches. The EU has long known how to turn a blind eye to (or just re-invent) its own rules when it suits politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Rules are for the little people.
    Guidelines are for governments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The level of support required by the British Government is considerable, I've heard of tax payments being deferred a few months but three years?! No doubt this bailout will be given due to Flybe's "strategic importance" to the UK but once it happens, it'll be up to Virgin/Stobart to steady the ship and I personally don't have much faith in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s the regional route network that is strategically important as opposed to Flybe itself - the problem is that there are few alternative companies around.

If Flybe were to go under, regional connectivity would be rendered almost non-existent.

Too many eggs in one basket springs to mind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Wouldn't be surprised if the bailout gets challenged under state aid rules although there's not much time for the EU to enforce them.

devnull wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if the bailout gets challenged under state aid rules although there's not much time for the EU to enforce them.

I would imagine FlyBe are classed as a special case, similar to Aer Arran. Some of the islands they fly to depend heavily on their services.

Edit: that of course is Logainair, although FlyBe has a few routes that could be classed as PSO, it looks like it could be challenged alright.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1217422242742665216

Didn’t take long

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aegir wrote: »
    I would imagine FlyBe are classed as a special case, similar to Aer Arran. Some of the islands they fly to depend heavily on their services.

Edit: that of course is Logainair, although FlyBe has a few routes that could be classed as PSO, it looks like it could be challenged alright.

Flybe has the Newquay PSO but I think that's it. The only longer distance PSOs in the UK are Newquay, Dundee and Derry to London; and Angelsey to Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If that’s successful it will surely lead to a significant number of their routes being classed as PSO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LXFlyer wrote: »
    If that’s successful it will surely lead to a significant number of their routes being classed as PSO.

Would then need to be tendered; but who else has the AOC and the aircraft to bother? Eastern has very limited capacity and relies on BE for sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

UK access to EU air space post Brexit is the gift of the EU so if the EU sees state aid they won't get access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭cson

Isn't it just deferral of a tax bill rather than a write off?

Advertisement