Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

• 15-02-2018 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

fritzelly wrote: »
    This confuses me, why continue with old tech and not continue with upgrading everyone to fibre to the home?

Because they don't want to invalidate their copper infrastructure. And well, it does indeed cut down on civils, cable replacement, investment in dense populated areas.

A lot of those areas would also have underground cabling. Often with blocked ducts etc. Thats even more costly.

Running fiber overhead on poles is comparable cheap and a lot of that stuff probably needed a refresh anyhow.

Just look at the figures along: 1.7M VDSL lines, 300k FTTH. If you had to roll out FTTH for all 2M homes (cable, DP, civils), it would be a whole different ballpark.

/M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

evosteo wrote: »

Nope :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Knowing how VM ran cable from house to house why don't eir do that and forget poles/ducting
    Seems very backwards thinking to rely on old infrastructure at least in urban areas

fritzelly wrote: »
    Knowing how VM ran cable from house to house why don't eir do that and forget poles/ducting
    Seems very backwards thinking to rely on old infrastructure at least in urban areas

Hahaha .. funny you mention that. SIRO actually have done a lot of surface ran FTTH in Urban areas just like that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would it be a good sign if KN Group workers are laying underground pipes/cables from your nearest town (which already has high speed internet) on the main road in the direction of where you live?

Or do KN Group have other contracts that aren't broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BobMc

Guys this is a massive thread, I've a bit of an unusual question.

We currently have FTTC and we're a nice distance from the Cab but get reliable 20 - 22 mb down
    which is just about fine for these days but what about the furture?

Is there anyway to contact OpenEir with the suggestion to connect out estate for FTTH,

We're semi rural an estate with approx 120 or so houses, and not to sound too snobbish an estate with good earners
    and young families, if anything like mine pretty data hungry. It would probably be a good investment for them, I for
    one would be happy to pay extra for it ?

Is there any hope for us ? or any way to contact them etc.

thanks in advance for any advice

BobMc wrote: »

There's not much chance, I'm afraid. They won't even touch houses 200m out of the defined boundaries.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Dominique Loud Waistband

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would it be a good sign if KN Group workers are laying underground pipes/cables from your nearest town (which already has high speed internet) on the main road in the direction of where you live?

Or do KN Group have other contracts that aren't broadband?

It is hard to say. Is your premises included in this rollout?

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

BobMc wrote: »
    Guys this is a massive thread, I've a bit of an unusual question.

We currently have FTTC and we're a nice distance from the Cab but get reliable 20 - 22 mb down
    which is just about fine for these days but what about the furture?

Is there anyway to contact OpenEir with the suggestion to connect out estate for FTTH,

We're semi rural an estate with approx 120 or so houses, and not to sound too snobbish an estate with good earners
    and young families, if anything like mine pretty data hungry. It would probably be a good investment for them, I for
    one would be happy to pay extra for it ?

thanks in advance for any advice

Is your estate marked by Eir to be done FTTH in the 300k premises... this is the response you will get from Eir - they are suggesting that no extra premises can be added because a contract is now in place with the government.

"Hi Irishfeen, unfortunately your home is outside of our 300k commercial plan. The footprint of our rural 300,000 rollout is locked down and we have contractual milestones in place with the Department of Communications, Climate Change and Environment to deliver each specific address. As such additional premises that are currently outside of the footprint cannot be included. While the boundary of the rollout may appear arbitrary, in fact the network rollout is based on the best network planning practices and the key business variables required to make the investment commercial. Any address not covered by our commercial rollout will be included in the Government’s National Broadband Plan and the detailed timelines for rollout sit with the Department of Communications.

I fully appreciate the understandable frustration for customers who are seeking that we extend the Fibre to the Home (FTTH) coverage further to reach them, but our rollout of fibre to the home is determined on a set number of premises that we believe that we can reach on a purely commercial basis.

Therefore, this section of road will be covered by the National Broadband Plan"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.

Sure just cover it in tinfoil :P

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)

30GB a *month*? Who's that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Dominique Loud Waistband

Ireland has finally made it onto the FTTH Council's ranking list!

https://twitter.com/FTTHCouncilEU/status/964060526513983488

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

9726_9726 wrote: »

30GB a *month*? Who's that?!
    Permanet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I did the same BUT some how my order got 'stuck in their system' with Eir. Up to 48 hours to fix but they stated that the services is indeed live in my area so hopefully its just their many billing/ordering systems being broken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

Another vendor ONT is very unlikely to be compatible with the Chinese OLT!! So unless he is going to swap the OLT and possibly some more equipment behind that then it's not really going to get him over his paranoia!!

Anyhow, the ONT is a layer 2 device so it's not capable of seeing anything that he could be concerned about. It's basically a media converter from optical to electrical!!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

digiman wrote: »
    Another vendor ONT is very unlikely to be compatible with the Chinese OLT!! So unless he is going to swap the OLT and possibly some more equipment behind that then it's not really going to get him over his paranoia!!

Anyhow, the ONT is a layer 2 device so it's not capable of seeing anything that he could be concerned about. It's basically a media converter from optical to electrical!!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT coming after you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As said:
    OLT is Chinese
    Aggregator is Chinese
    Cisco is American but the NSA were still intercepting Fedex consignments, reprogramming them, then quietly sending them on their way...
    If you use a mobile phone theres a large chance its talking to Huawei gear....

If you're paranoid, encrypt all your traffic. Dont care about the gear.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

digiman wrote: »

It's a bit more than a media converter. Because the downstream is a shared medium, each subscriber's connection is AES-encrypted. At installation time, the ONT is paired with the OLT using a one-time password.

For that reason alone, you can't just swap out your ONT. A replacement ONT would have to be re-paired with the OLT, which can only be done by an installation technician.

Of all the equipment that might be spying on you, your ONT is fairly far down the list. End-to-end encryption is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's a bit more than a media converter. Because the downstream is a shared medium, each subscriber's connection is AES-encrypted. At installation time, the ONT is paired with the OLT using a one-time password.

For that reason alone, you can't just swap out your ONT. A replacement ONT would have to be re-paired with the OLT, which can only be done by an installation technician.

Of all the equipment that might be spying on you, your ONT is fairly far down the list. End-to-end encryption is your friend.

I was just keeping it to the basics, I know well there is more going on than that. :D:D

For someone in the know, the password is very easy to get by logging into the ONT. But it's not just the password that is the only way to authenticate the ONT to the OLT, you can also use the ONT serial number, serial number + password so if that is the case you would have some fun trying to log a fault with a wholesale provider such as OpenEir for them to re-provision the service with the new serial number.

However, the bigger problem would be getting an ONT from another supplier that will inter-operate with the OLT. The vendors make it difficult for this to be a smooth process as it is in their interest to sell their own ONTs with their OLTs rather than some 3rd party ONT.

It is hard to say. Is your premises included in this rollout?

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k)

No its not !! Damn.

The yellow lines on the map circle all the roads around us, except the one main road which actually comes across the front of my house.

Gits.

So I have to wait for that ill-fated plan which is likely going to be years away, if it ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

Apologies as I am in no way tech savy but would anyone be able to explain what the Apple AirPort or Google WiFi are for? Moving soon and FTTH is "one the way" aparently but there is a chance that it might not reach our house (rage).... Any advice on the devices or best options otherwise would be really welcomed! TIA

No its not !! Damn.

The yellow lines on the map circle all the roads around us, except the one main road which actually comes across the front of my house.

Gits.

So I have to wait for that ill-fated plan which is likely going to be years away, if it ever happens.

Does anyone think there would be any use to speaking to a local TD about why this one main road is being missed, and circled around?

Would there be any possibility of them getting a 1km stretch of road added into the plan?

Does anyone think there would be any use to speaking to a local TD about why this one main road is being missed, and circled around?

OE wont entertain it. If they did they'd be dealing with parish pump politics and rollout creep nationwide.

As I thought, but it seems strange that they would miss out what is a relatively main road with a lot of houses on it.

If you imagine an A

they are coming from the bottom left, heading north up to the apex, then back down the road on the right. I live on the horizontal road.

What a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ED E wrote: »
    As said:
    OLT is Chinese
    Aggregator is Chinese
    Cisco is American but the NSA were still intercepting Fedex consignments, reprogramming them, then quietly sending them on their way...
    If you use a mobile phone theres a large chance its talking to Huawei gear....

If you're paranoid, encrypt all your traffic. Dont care about the gear.

He’s English so he’ll believe what the BBC are saying. At least Huawei don’t sell routers that the warranty sticker is already void on. Linksys router (at the time owned by Cisco) was literally disassembled in the box. It was bought over 10 years ago so I’ve no recourse. Only opened it last night.

HP are shipping laptops with keyloggers in the sound drivers. They're all naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thehorse

thehorse wrote: »
    There was a missing length of fibre cable that hadn’t been laid. About 800m in total.

KN PM contacted me today and he will have crews on site next week to complete the rollout. He told me we will be live in a few weeks as his crews will put in the ducting, fibre, splice and Test it.

Thank **** for that , I’m desperate to get high speed connection as I’ve needed it for sooo long as I work from home about 75% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

There was a crew out cutting away the branches etc along the phone lines from my place to the local village today. Im hoping this is in preparation for fibre cable and not just routine maintenance. Although I've never seen them at this before.

Message on the eir site says my eircode should have fibre in early 2018.
    How long after they start the prep work does it normally take to see them running cable and going live? Would they have done surveys already or is this the first step? suppose every area is different.

I bet it will be installed just in time for when I'm moving house in about 2 years time!!! Oh well, be a selling point I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement