Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A woman has sued Castle Leslie after a fall

• 14-03-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/46000-compensation-woman-suffered-blemished-buttock-fall-646791#fF2WMjscHokZiBDX.99

I'm actually furious reading this. I hate the compo culture anyway! She was awarded €52,000 for a bruised backside. You get on a horse, you're going to fall off. It's not a case of if, it's a case of when. It is a risk sport! You'd destroy the whole thing if you start suing for every bump. Yes, it got infected but that's just hard luck. It would be entirely different if they put her on an unbroken youngster and told her it was a 20 year old school master, but every horse spooks at some point. You are also not required to wear a back protector out hacking and it wouldn't have protected her arse anyway!

If Castle Leslie don't appeal, I hope that.... woman.... gets every bit of karma she deserves. :mad::mad:

*goes off to breathe and calm down*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Wow... Yeh not a fan of that outcome at all... If you sit on a half tonne live animal expect to fall. It's simple. We've all been there.

I used to teach beginners and it was nearly a point of pride when they had their first fall...

Judgements like that will put anyone making a livihood from teaching or equestrian tourism at serious serious risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/46000-compensation-woman-suffered-blemished-buttock-fall-646791#fF2WMjscHokZiBDX.99

If Castle Leslie don't appeal, I hope that.... woman.... gets every bit of karma she deserves. :mad::mad:

*goes off to breathe and calm down*

Wont be appealed. They admitted liability.

The case was before the court solely for assessing damages; liability was not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Wont be appealed. They admitted liability.

The case was before the court solely for assessing damages; liability was not an issue.

I wonder why they did that. Would that not make it very difficult for riding centres etc in the future to say that riding is a risk sport, making it easier for people to sue for falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Very strange. I was there all last summer and can't think of which horse would have spooked as the yard manager had a wee dachshund who the horses all knew. All riders going out on a trail were trialed in the arena beforehand too, to see if they needed a leader or not- there's always one who bigs themselves up :rolleyes: Fecking body protector wouldn't have covered her arse anyway!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Oh ffs, horses are animals. We did a few weekends up there with the riding club and the horses were all solid and dependable types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Was the Dog not an estate Dog. In the present Insurance Company pay don't fight climate it was cheaper to pay than fight a case . As it would be claimed having the dogs running round was a potential hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

FFS... that drives me nuts... there is definitely something wrong that people can actually get compensation for these kind of claims... like the one that had injured (vaguely) her knee while sitting at a restaurant table, by knocking it against one of the table's legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Esroh wrote: »
    Was the Dog not an estate Dog. In the present Insurance Company pay don't fight climate it was cheaper to pay than fight a case . As it would be claimed having the dogs running round was a potential hazard.

The only estate dog there was Dillon & he was only allowed in the stableyard. I'd say it was a dog belonging to someone walking around the paths in the forest.

To put it into perspective, I know a cob whose first two years of life was in city centre Dublin so he's pretty much as bomb proof as you can get a horse (though admittedly not a riding school horse because he was broke by the owners who had him in Dublin so has a cheeky streak). The odd time he would jump a bit at something, but when he does, it's usually something that would make even me jump. The one and only time he's genuinely spooked and took off at something was when a dog came barking around the corner of a house that didn't usually have a dog at. Now he's perfect with dogs, he's even used to chase off loose dogs out hacking because them barking doesn't bother him. He's not bothered when a dog comes barking out of a house he knows there's a dog at, or a house he's never passed. This just happened to be a house that he passed for the last about 13 years at the time, that he knew didn't have a dog so he was not expecting it at all. He never took off in fright before that, he's never taken off in fright since.

Even police horse's spook...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

new people dont understand the unwritten rules of horse riding and hunting on farmers land you take the risk you dont sue . You are responsible for the level of riding you have declared you are capable of. A horse is a live animal not an object. These people ruin everything we had an idiot trying to sue the hunt cos she fell off. The foxhounds association rallied around us flexed their muscles and she dropped her case. (She had a no fee no foal lawyer) She was a bad rider FACT and should not have thought she could ride accross country jumping walls and ditches.
    Old equestrian people abhor this behaviour which only comes with the NEW people whose only reason they bought a horse is cos they got some NEW money. Appalling awful types I wish they all just go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

new people dont understand the unwritten rules of horse riding and hunting on farmers land you take the risk you dont sue . You are responsible for the level of riding you have declared you are capable of. A horse is a live animal not an object. These people ruin everything we had an idiot trying to sue the hunt cos she fell off. The foxhounds association rallied around us flexed their muscles and she dropped her case. (She had a no fee no foal lawyer) She was a bad rider FACT and should not have thought she could ride accross country jumping walls and ditches.
    Old equestrian people abhor this behaviour which only comes with the NEW people whose only reason they bought a horse is cos they got some NEW money. Appalling awful types I wish they all just go away.

Not only 'new people' Know of someone involved in equestrian activities since a kid - went out on an organised event - took a jump and fell off. Blamed the horse being ridden in front and is now sueing the organisers. Complete tool tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Good lord someone should have told her these things happen falling is a part of riding ...unfortunately.

Anyway ..at least she's alive ..foolish but living

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Good lord someone should have told her these things happen falling is a part of riding ...unfortunately.

I'd say the message has sank in after a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

A rotten bitch. If there's a drop of karma she'll get a more serious injury doing something with her ill gotten gains.

I am not a BAD rider i still wouldn't think i could ride cross country jumping walls etc.

We'll all have to sign release forms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Common sense outcome in another of these cases in court today:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-sued-after-she-was-injured-while-horse-riding-on-a-fox-hunt-loses-high-court-action-38122277.html

A woman who sued after she was injured in a horse riding accident on a fox hunt has lost her High Court action.

The horse rolled back on hairdresser, Aisling Begadon, after she jumped over a felled tree.

Ms Begadon was an experienced rider who, Ms Justice Brongah O'Hanlon said, ought not to have unnecessarily jumped the dangerous obstacle.

The judge said a warning had been given about the tree.

Ms Begadon did not have due regard for her own safety, she said.

"Even though she was an accomplished horse person, she was an inexperienced hunter on an inexperienced horse taking part in an entirely unpredictable sport with the fox at its centre," Ms Justice O'Hanlon said.

Ms Begadon(36) Aughmacart, Rathdowney, Portlaoise, Co Laois, had sued Laois Hunt Club Ltd which organised the hunt. She also sued James Ferney of Ballgeehan, Ballacolla, Co Laois, who owned the lands where the accident occurred on March 8, 2014.

Ms Justice O'Hanlon said Ms Begadon had successfully crossed a river and this led into a field with a whitethorn tree obstacle on the other side.

The judge said Ms Begadon made the decision to jump the obstacle and the horse's feet got caught in brambles in the tree causing the animal to fall and roll on top of her. She suffered a severe back injury.

Ms Begadon claimed the obstacle was a hazard and was foreseeable.

She contended she ought to have been advised not to take the particular jump and an insufficient effort was made to pass back information that the "Field Master" had indicated members of the hunt not to take the jump.

The judge believed the warning was properly communicated.

Only three of the group of 40 to 50 riders, including Ms Begadon, attempted to jump the obstacle, she said.

"It seems to this court there was an obligation on all members of the hunt to follow the Field Master, to keep reasonably close to him and not to lag behind at the back of the hunt and to ensure they were appraised of any directions he gave," Ms Justice O'Hanlon said.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-who-sued-after-she-was-injured-while-horse-riding-on-a-fox-hunt-loses-high-court-action-38122277.html

A woman who sued after she was injured in a horse riding accident on a fox hunt has lost her High Court action.

The horse rolled back on hairdresser, Aisling Begadon, after she jumped over a felled tree.

Ms Begadon was an experienced rider who, Ms Justice Brongah O'Hanlon said, ought not to have unnecessarily jumped the dangerous obstacle.

"Even though she was an accomplished horse person, she was an inexperienced hunter on an inexperienced horse taking part in an entirely unpredictable sport with the fox at its centre," Ms Justice O'Hanlon said.

Ms Begadon(36) Aughmacart, Rathdowney, Portlaoise, Co Laois, had sued Laois Hunt Club Ltd which organised the hunt. She also sued James Ferney of Ballgeehan, Ballacolla, Co Laois, who owned the lands where the accident occurred on March 8, 2014.

Ms Justice O'Hanlon said Ms Begadon had successfully crossed a river and this led into a field with a whitethorn tree obstacle on the other side.

The judge said Ms Begadon made the decision to jump the obstacle and the horse's feet got caught in brambles in the tree causing the animal to fall and roll on top of her. She suffered a severe back injury.

She contended she ought to have been advised not to take the particular jump and an insufficient effort was made to pass back information that the "Field Master" had indicated members of the hunt not to take the jump.

Only three of the group of 40 to 50 riders, including Ms Begadon, attempted to jump the obstacle, she said.

"It seems to this court there was an obligation on all members of the hunt to follow the Field Master, to keep reasonably close to him and not to lag behind at the back of the hunt and to ensure they were appraised of any directions he gave," Ms Justice O'Hanlon said.

Thank goodness! I feel like sending that judge a bunch of flowers and a thank you note.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I wonder why they did that. Would that not make it very difficult for riding centres etc in the future to say that riding is a risk sport, making it easier for people to sue for falls?

The decision to settle would have been taken by the insurer,which,in many cases,provides a less than satisfactory outcome for the insured.

Meanwhile,over in another area of the asylum........

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/prisoner-at-large-after-absconding-wins-case-over-unjust-rearrest-38120481.html

Full marks to Justice McKechnie,and his four other learned Judges of the Supreme Court,they have educated this particular citizen as to the benefits of living a just life....it would appear that in the New,Improved Ireland,there are none.....recieve a custodial sentence for breaking the Law....walk out the front gate of the prison and return home,and that's it.....carry on as before.

Occasionally,the members of an Cúirt Uachtarach na hÉireann,provide their citizenry with bountiful evidence that the State has lost it's collective sanity.

The Supreme Court could well be asked to State A Case explaining why the fcuxk would any Citizen of Ireland bother their backside obeying ANY of it's own laws..?

Why bother....when you can just walk away.....:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqAh1dQu_pg

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Is this separate from the castle leslie thingy????

She had a hell of a cheek suing the land owner.

I know zero about Hunting FYI.

I don't even like to jump out on Hacks tbh only in enclosures.

Someone once tried to get me to jump something that wasn't a proper set up jump not a felled tree but a log just out there on a hack. I refused like a total diva cuz i hadn't seen around the other side of it and i was scared it wasn't even that big! :pac: I was like 'Excuse me I don't do those!'

I feel like I have only ever been taught to jump in an enclosure so why risk it?

Ground can be uneven and look even etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

'Noveau equestrians' always sue they are not proper horse people there's another law suit against Ashford Castle girl was hunting her own horse and is sueing them & a hunt club ruining it for everyone these people.

Advertisement