Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Ooops! I did not know the new one was Velcro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Also pissed off buying the fly6! That is 100% a rip off of the fly6. Every detail is the same, even the Velcro strap! Maybe there was no aspect of the design that was patentable or protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I'll get one and give it a try to compliment my fly12 if any are in the shops as is the case with Aldi before, only get a handful in and most are sold before the doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Cycliq saying on their Twitter feed that the camera is not a rebadged Fly 6 and they are 'looking into it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The fly 6 isn't fantastic for number plate identification. The fly 12 the front cam is much better though.
    Really? Obviously that's really the only reason to get one

Personally it was a front facing one I really want - I've a Sony Action Cam which is fine for the commute, but doesn't have the battery life for weekend spins. I'm going to try an external battery hack on that, but thought this camera might get me over the hump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

SteM wrote: »
    Cycliq saying on their Twitter feed that the camera is not a rebadged Fly 6 and they are 'looking into it'.

Really. Did they invent the light or the camera?.
    Unless they did, i don't see what they can do.

I don't know. Ask them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Did I see GT85 400ml spray for €2.49 in the leaflet?
    Looking online there is nothing on the website about it, UK has it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

plenty of neck warmers ....but no shorts ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

philstar wrote: »
    plenty of neck warmers ....but no shorts ffs!

it's winter gear - they'll have shorts in the spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SteM wrote: »
    If it is a rip-off they even copied the light that goes around the camera, just made it square instead of circular. If they're copying to that level why wouldn't they include functionality that a £50 dashcam has? The light quality and camera would be where they make savings, not functionality like loop recording.

Gopro don't support it either, so a small Chinese OEM may not be bothered.

If you put the gopro cfg file on the SDcard then quik can auto dump the footage for you when you plug it in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The actual design for the housing and clamping, while not patentable could be construed as a defining feature of their product.

Realistically, I would say Aldi don''t have many on offer and it won't be worth anyones time, probably supplied by a third party, absolving Aldi of any issue, one solicitors letter and it won't happen again.

Hopefully I can pick up two before that happens, going to try and Jerry rig one into a helmet cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The fly 6 isn't fantastic for number plate identification. The fly 12 the front cam is much better though.

If the Aldi camera is better resolution than the fly6 (as cram cycle stated) would that solve the problem with number plate ID?

ED E wrote: »
    Gopro don't support it either, so a small Chinese OEM may not be bothered.

If you put the gopro cfg file on the SDcard then quik can auto dump the footage for you when you plug it in.

To be fair, the gopro wasn't designed to be a 'dashcam' type recorder. Most dashcams you get from chinese manafacturers will have loop recording. I'll be shocked if this one desn't but we'll see soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

If the Aldi camera is better resolution than the fly6 (as cram cycle stated) would that solve the problem with number plate ID?

Yes definitely, I have the front and back myself so I can make out the reg easily enough on the front. If the Aldi one has a clearer image in that regard it's a better option than a fly6

They will be gone in minutes from the shops at that price .

The winter jackets look exactly like Altura nightvision 360 jackets. Same colors and reflective strips

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

It looks to me like the back of the light seems to be at an angle and if your seatpost doesn't match this angle exactly then you are going to have problems with what you end up recording.

Anyone else notice this?

coL wrote: »
    It looks to me like the back of the light seems to be at an angle and if your seatpost doesn't match this angle exactly then you are going to have problems with what you end up recording.

Anyone else notice this?

The Fly 6 is the same. Mine came with different angled wedges to help get the camera to record at the correct angle. Works fine for me. It'll be interesting to see if the Aldi version has the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

coL wrote: »

Anyone else notice this?

Never had any issue there with the fly6
    There's also a wedge for an aero seatpost which comes with it
    Works great on a giant tcr

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hopefully they have good stock of the rear light/camera. Seems like there's a lot of interest. I already have a rear camera, but I'm debating whether to try this one out. The battery life would be a huge plus. And the fact that it's 1080p is a big deal too, the fly6 only being 720p is laughable in this day and age. I've never had a camera that wasn't capable of 1080p recording, and I've had them a long long time now.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they have good stock of the rear light/camera. Seems like there's a lot of interest. I already have a rear camera, but I'm debating whether to try this one out. The battery life would be a huge plus. And the fact that it's 1080p is a big deal too, the fly6 only being 720p is laughable in this day and age. I've never had a camera that wasn't capable of 1080p recording, and I've had them a long long time now.

I've bought a mini camcorder from Aldi a few years ago that advertised as 1080p and you might as well have been recording with a potato. It was rubbish and no where near a Sony or Panasonic with the same resolution and returned it after a few days.
    Ill be buying one of these but ill be holding the receipt just in case.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've bought a mini camcorder from Aldi a few years ago that advertised as 1080p and you might as well have been recording with a potato. It was rubbish and no where near a Sony or Panasonic with the same resolution and returned it after a few days.
    Ill be buying one of these but ill be holding the receipt just in case.

Yes, I would not expect this to be the greatest camera in the world. But if it was acceptable at all it would be okay. As you said, I'll be keeping the receipt.

I found the manual for this camera:

http://www.quesh.co.uk/data/images/products/79004UG.pdf

Which I found here:

http://www.quesh.co.uk/products/?product_id=461

Notice the bit at the bottom:
    No loop record function available on this model.

Disappointing... Might be a worth a punt still. My main camera doesn't loop record, but it at least has a format button to delete everything if need be. This doesn't seem to.

I found the manual for this camera:

http://www.quesh.co.uk/data/images/products/79004UG.pdf

Which I found here:

http://www.quesh.co.uk/products/?product_id=461

Notice the bit at the bottom:

Disappointing... Might be a worth a punt still. My main camera doesn't loop record, but it at least has a format button to delete everything if need be. This doesn't seem to.

Thanks. Was going to try to pick one up for the other bike but don't think I'll bother now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

I am blind. The 8gb card is only worth 2h of recording which would mean I would need to delete the footage daily. Without the loop functionality it's not worth buying for me unless the camera 'reset' cleaned the previous recording.

Plastik wrote: »
    I am blind. The 8gb card is only worth 2h of recording which would mean I would need to delete the footage daily. Without the loop functionality it's not worth buying for me unless the camera 'reset' cleaned the previous recording.

Ah just buy a 32GB card for a tenner. Perhaps the reset function would erase the footage. Not clear from the info we have. But a 32GB card is very cheap these days, and it should cover you for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Plastik wrote: »

I guess a bigger SD card would solve that? I presume you could put any size card in - 64 would be more than enough for a week for me.

I can't decide whether to buy one or not, I've been meaning to get a camera for ages but I"m not sure a rear cam is the best option for capturing the daily lunacy! Of course that's assuming there are any in my local Aldi on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is there any way of ordering this stuff online?

I guess a bigger SD card would solve that? I presume you could put any size card in - 64 would be more than enough for a week for me.

I can't decide whether to buy one or not, I've been meaning to get a camera for ages but I"m not sure a rear cam is the best option for capturing the daily lunacy! Of course that's assuming there are any in my local Aldi on Thursday.

Manual suggests the max size card it will accept is 32GB. Remains to be seen whether larger will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Wow even setting the time and date is identical to the fly6. Id be surprised if it doesn't have loop recording. Perhaps this was held back purposefully.

Advertisement