Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Wiki has a little bit on that which might have proved interesting.
    Plans for Season 5
    At the time of its cancellation, planning for a proposed fifth season of Enterprise was underway. Most details of this never-made season come from comments made by producer Manny Coto who in 2009 stated that two arcs of this season may have been to show the 'origins of the Federation' and 'whispers of the Romulan war', and consequently, the Romulans would have been the major villains of the season.[16]
    Coto also stated that had the series been given a fifth season, the recurring Andorian character of Shran may have joined the Enterprise in an advisory role.
    Other possible plans for the season included: an episode showing the construction of the first starbase; a Borg Queen origins story with Alice Krige as a Starfleet medical technician who makes contact with the Borg from Season 2's "Regeneration" and becomes the Borg Queen, and a Mirror Universe arc spanning four or five episodes.
    There were also hopes for an episode in which T'Pol would finally meet her father and discover that he was in fact a Romulan agent who had posed as a Vulcan officer prior to faking his own death. The revelation that T'Pol was half-Romulan would have shed light on her affinity for humanity and as well as her interest in experimenting with emotions.

They should have done these instead of faffing about with more alien nazi crap. Can't blame anyone for canning it when the production team and writers were making such poor decisions.

Seeing Alice Krige turn up randomly (with no warning and no subsequent explanations/flashbacks/writing lanterns, just letting the episode unfold naturally) would have been an amazing moment. They could have undone some of the damage Voyager did to the Borg and given them back some of their edge. Enterprise wasn't ballsy enough to pull it off though, seems like a darker DS9 tone would have been required to reestablish the horror, inhumanity and relentlessness of what the Borg represented in Q-Who and BOBW.

Ideas such as these (Of which there are hundreds - just look at the novels) reaffirm my belief that a worthy modern science fiction show bearing the name can succeed if only there was a desire from someone as talented and knowledgeable as Moore to make it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Those season 5 plans also mentioned somewhere that Trip wasn't actually killed, it was part of some ruse to do with protecting the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Goldstein wrote:
    They should have done these instead of faffing about with more alien nazi crap.

Time, time, time, those writers were obsessed by it, although this might be Time/Alternate rather then just time but still sums up the writers and time.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Those season 5 plans also mentioned somewhere that Trip wasn't actually killed, it was part of some ruse to do with protecting the baby.

Final episode was going to be edited to add that if the cancellation never happened, turned out it was canceled before filming so no edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

probably mentioned by someone somewhere on this forum already but noticed that Star Trek online is now free to play

thread about it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76571737

only played it a few hours so far but seems decent enough but I'm not used to these type of games on my laptop so find myself walking in to walls alot!

I started re-watching season 4 of Enterprise yesterday, this morning I watched Boarderland, Cold Station 12, The Augments and The Forge (I woke up very early), I forgot how entertaining the Augment story line was and the second story after it, The Forge being part one, was equally as entertaining.

Also something in the episode The Augments got me thinking, ship destruction in almost all Star Trek series have been undetailed and a big explosion, odd one stands out with DS9 big battles doing it better the most but the Bird of Prey destruction at the end of The Augments was really well done.

• Advertisement

I'm starting season 3 of Enterprise later. Really enjoying it so far. I've done a few reruns through the entire series, it really is nowhere near as bad as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm starting season 3 of Enterprise later. Really enjoying it so far. I've done a few reruns through the entire series, it really is nowhere near as bad as people make out.

True. It's not terrible. I watched it all and enjoyed it. And there are some excellent episodes. Season 3 is definately the best and there was excellent tension with the Xindi. But they made alot of mistakes and there is no doubting its the weakest of the modern series.

They didn't create interesting characters. Think of TNG and DS9. We knew so much about each of the characters. I could write pages on Data or on Odo or other supporting characters. They were fleshed out. The cast of characters in enterprise are very, very weak. They had a blank kanvas and they wasted it.

After 4 seasons what do we know about the characters? Hoshi doesn't like space much and is a linguist. Reed is morose, likes guns, and likes pineapple. Trip is from texas, has a sister, fancies t'pol, is from texas, likes engines, is from texas etc. Mayweather is a pilot and grew up on a feighter. And um.....well thats all for him really. Porthos, the captains dog, was more interesting than the helmsman. Says it all really.

They overly relied on Archer. I get that they were delighted to get Bakula but he is the centre of every episode and this isn't a good thing.

If we are to analyse it with a critical eye, they botched it from the start. You can criticise the decision to base it pre TOS, you can criticise the very slow start to the show with season one, you can criticise alot. But characters make a show and this was their major fault.

Good points, I was actually thinking to myself last night it's odd that Archer is the center of most, if not every episode. Don't get me started on Reeds upper lip, Mayweathers optimism, etc etc

But, I did like Trip, T'Pol, Phlox was brilliant, and a few other characters. As for what we know about them, you have to compare like for like, remember it only had four seasons...not seven with four movies. DS9 & VOY also had the liberty of existing inside a known model with Starfleet, known races etc etc. They did botch it though by not giving us more background, & by about season 3 we find most of the cast dull enough so that we actually don't wanna know about them :o

I like it though I have to say, pound for pound against Voyager I think Enterprise wins out.

I like it though I have to say, pound for pound against Voyager I think Enterprise wins out.

Voyager = Orchestral credits. Like proper trek.

Enterprise = Baywatch music credits.

/comparison. :p

Kirby wrote: »
    Voyager = Orchestral credits. Like proper trek. Lawnmower voice as a Captain

Downright filthy decon scenes

Just a minor correction.

• Advertisement

Took me a minute to figure out what the decon scene bit was about, a plus to Enterprise.

Took me a minute to figure out what the decon scene bit was about, a plus to Enterprise.

For shame man, for shame

enterprise_l.jpg

For shame man, for shame

enterprise_l.jpg

I know and once it clicked I hung my head in shame :(

Kirby wrote: »
    Voyager = Orchestral credits. Like proper trek.

Opening sequence for Voyager was better of the two but show wise I think Enterprise was that little bit better, not that either had anything on TNG or DS9.

I only recently came to that conclusion, season 4 of Enterprise had a big hand in it.

Well, they did it. The Xindi weapon was destroyed [again]. Just have to endure the two parter about time travelling Nazi's now.

They really needed an episode similar to the TNG episode 'Family', after the Xindi weapon arc. It was such a mistake to jump right into into another time-travelling episode...& a double parter at that!

Well, they did it. The Xindi weapon was destroyed [again]. Just have to endure the two parter about time travelling Nazi's now.

They really needed an episode similar to the TNG episode 'Family', after the Xindi weapon arc. It was such a mistake to jump right into into another time-travelling episode...& a double parter at that!

They do an episode similar to Family but for some reason it's after the Nazi time traveling bullsh*t.

A fair bit of season 4 is done in multi episode form, takes some getting use to but besides the Nazi time traveling bullsh*t it's all good stuff.

They do an episode similar to Family but for some reason it's after the Nazi time traveling bullsh*t.

Yeah I think its called 'Home', where T'Pol & Trip go to Vulcan, & we see Archer wrestle his guilt.

The nazi-alien ep is the worst of Ent so far, it's completely unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

For shame man, for shame

enterprise_l.jpg

I can see the point(s) to this scene. It is to show that a decon room is cold right??

I can see the point(s) to this scene. It is to show that a decon room is cold right??

Yep, the colder the better really according to Phlox. I'm sure he said that somewhere [:p]

Yep, the colder the better really according to Phlox. I'm sure he said that somewhere [:p]

He did spend sometime in there with a very...sick T'Pol.

• Advertisement

Indeed I remember that. "Sick" T'pol. If that's what getting sick is like in the future........infect me now! :p

Just watched the Augments three parter. Spiner is just a joy to watch, great little arc though.

I've noticed this before, but for anyone here who knows Half Life 2...isn't the transporter creator from the Ent episode Daedalus exactly like Dr. Vance from the HL2 game?

Never noticed that before but they do look alike.

Never noticed that before but they do look alike.

They also sound exactly alike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

They also sound exactly alike :D

They're different people -

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Guillaume

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bill_Cobbs
    It has been suggested that the appearance of Doctor Eli Vance on the Half-Life video game series was based on Cobbs, but the game's creators have stated that the resemblance is a coincidence; Eli Vance is modeled after a homeless man who the designers found on the street.

Eli Vance is modeled after a homeless man who the designers found on the street.

Bet Cobbs wasn't to happy reading that.

Yep different people, but the similarities are there. Cobbs is a must if they ever make a HL movie :D

Yep different people, but the similarities are there. Cobbs is a must if they ever make a HL movie :D

There are some fan made movies but Eli Vance isn't in them, the one I saw was good for what it was.

• Advertisement

I just noticed Data smiles and grins a few times in the first half of Encounter at Farpoint, they cease after the Q encounter, it's almost as if someone told Spiner to stop.

Advertisement