Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canada: Irish In Calgary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

feve wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is Many Irish here in Calgary...Arrived in October 2010 and havent really met alot of Irish people yet..

I think there are one or two from boards in Calgary, they will probably be on shortly :)

I am a couple of hours up the road in Edmonton :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 feve

how are you finding it??? pretty cold.. we visited there maybe twice..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

will be arriving in calgary next week!in a weird way i hope its not packed with irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

how are you finding it??? pretty cold.. we visited there maybe twice..

We like it a lot, friendly people.
    Decent cost of living, not too big and lots to do
    The cold is very cold if that makes sense. The -30 days are unpleasant but manageable with layers
    It's not a good looking city very industrial and concrete jungle but it also has lots of parks.

will be arriving in calgary next week!in a weird way i hope its not packed with irish!

It's definitely not..:) its a nice place though.. have you work etc. all sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

It's definitely not..:) its a nice place though.. have you work etc. all sorted?

Hi feve just wondering what the weather is like during the summer in calgary .. Is it in the minuses the whole time or just the winter month .. I hear theres loads of work there and the money is good.. Im a carpenter and thinkin of goin there myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

im in calgary myself just over a week!!

Met a fair few irish lads through soccer over here already, staying in the nw

Oh right cool..was looking at the gaa site for Calgary..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MKcin

Hi there...Iv been in Calgary now since oct, my boyfriend was in the building back home and came here for work. There is so much work here in all types of construction. The winters are definetly long, so im looking forward to see what the summer will be like. Calgary is good for making money if thats what your looking for!! I still get home sick though!!

Ya the home sickness can be tough alright...

• Advertisement

just remember lads, were here for a good time, probs not a long time ;)

that dump will still be there when we go back, whats to miss ha

hey TechnoPool...thing is if that was true and I knew I would be going home in a year then I would be grand, but there is no work to go back to (in construction) so we dont really have a choice and will have to stay here longer, prob for a few years anyway.

I agree...not knowing when you will be home makes you look at it differently....

ah your right doh, there is nada to be going home too

i understand what you saying :)

how all of ya finding it so far?

Its a good place to be for work thats for sure. I hear the Calgarians say that its going through a bit of a lull period here at the moment, they try to call it a recession, but we Irish know better!! I think the place is booming. I think a lot of Irish construction workers would do well here, some of the houses/estates look like kips! Shopping is good though so that helps ;-)

haha wouldnt be too much up on the shopping myself now!! Only here a week yesterday but really enjoying it, luckily i have a few family members here and got to know a decent amount of people already!!

effort of looking for work

you will find work fairly quickly here..seems to be a lot of jobs around..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dub man

hi guys and gals im here since aug ive only met 3 irish since i came the work is plentiful im with a roofing company there always looking for guys its flynn canada if your looking for work with them let me know ill tell ye the do,s and dont,s you dont have to be a roofer,any body in mckenzie with kids my wife is home with our 8 month old and is stuck indoors not meeting anyone bloody hard for her any info would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

dub man wrote: »
    hi guys and gals im here since aug ive only met 3 irish since i came the work is plentiful im with a roofing company there always looking for guys its flynn canada if your looking for work with them let me know ill tell ye the do,s and dont,s you dont have to be a roofer,any body in mckenzie with kids my wife is home with our 8 month old and is stuck indoors not meeting anyone bloody hard for her any info would be great

Whereabouts are u dub man? Im a roofer thinkin of heading out .Whats the money like and the weather??

they money is the same as home with potential to get extra you dont get paid for rainey days or days you miss through the cold its all industrial roofing im in calgary if your coming make sure you come on your own visa and if you can change your driving licience to an english one for a straight swap you cant swap an irish one you must sit 2 test and on a provisional for 2 years with loads of restrictions hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I know homesick well and it will hit you from time to time. Just try and look at this as an adventure. Ireland isnt going anywhere and you'll be surprised just how much hasnt changed, even when you've been away for a few years. There's loads here that would love to be in your shoes right now. I cant tell you how glad i am that i got my Canada Citizenship back in 2001!

Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hey bud, your wife could check out the Canada section of a site called britishexpats.com - there are people on there from all over Canada, mainly from the UK but other countries too including Ireland - I know they do meet-ups and there are dozens of people on there in the same boat as your wife.

hi guys anybody know of any 5 or 7 aside football in the southeast or any football clubs cheers

hi guys anybody know of any 5 or 7 aside football in the southeast or any football clubs cheers

i play for two teams at the moment, few irish lads on one we play in the north and south depending on who were playing. Not 100% sure if we need bodies though, i can ask if your interested?

any good? ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Hey all,

Living in Vancouver the past month with little or no prospect of a job, sent approx 100 cv' to date and I'm starting to get really hacked off at this stage.Considering leaving and going to Calgary instead as it seems to be cheaper with same wage as Vancouver.Any advice re job scene there?

Would be looking for office work, admin etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Boopydoodle

Hi
    My husband and I are coming over to Calgary to live within the next month. We have two boys 3 and 6. We would love to meet up with as many irish people as we can and will probably be living in Okotoks. Where are you based? Id say it tough for your wife........have you managed to find any more irish since your first post in jan?
    Amanda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pkane

hi all
    im an irish electrician heading to calgary in jul with my girlfriend who is a nurse. can anybody gives us advice on job prospects and what the money is like etc... appreciate any advice or updates from calgary..
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Boopydoodle

Hi
    there are a few facebook pages that are great for finding people. https://www.facebook.com/groups/132443770140133/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/126631068121/

We have been in Calgary since last June. I did post on this thread but got no responses. The facebook pages are better. There are lots of irish in calgary but we are all spread accross the city. we are in the north west and really like it.

There are lots of job website. maybe start with kijiji. you can find anything there from jobs to cars to furniture and a house to rent!

Try and make lots of connections before you come out. facebook is great for that.

hope this help.
    Amanda Quinn

pkane wrote: »
    hi all
    im an irish electrician heading to calgary in jul with my girlfriend who is a nurse. can anybody gives us advice on job prospects and what the money is like etc... appreciate any advice or updates from calgary..
    cheers

going to be very hard to find jobs in those fields.

Money can range greatly with every job.

Any specific questions just shoot me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Im in the process of getting my 1 year working visa (fingers crossed) and will be going over with my girlfriend.

Im graduating in may with a hospitality degree and my girlfriend with an engineering degree.

I have 4 years experience in the bar industry, Im sure I will pick up work easy enough. She will be looking for something in her field and we're well aware that it could be very difficult for her to find something. We're currently looking through all the options. Anyone have any advice on a graduate looking for work or even an internship with companies over there?

We've narrowed it down to Calgary and Vancouver and I think we're swinging towards Calgary. I know two guys in Calgary at the moment both working in bars and they say they got work easy enough. They'll both be home by the time we get there though.

Advertisement