Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

• 21-07-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Does anyone have any information about the status of this?

I know Crosbie apparently sorted out the dispute with Dunnes a couple of weeks ago, and I've seen a huge amount of activity in the last while with a load of workmen working on the interior of the building. I can't work out whether its the Conference Centre or the Shopping Centre they are working on, but it'd be nice to hear that something is going to happen with it.

Also, is the Wheel due to arrive soon? They put the main structure of it up a couple of weeks ago and I figured they'd get it finished, but nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think it's the new hotel, the Gibson, that forms part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No, I live right beside the area so I'm well aware of the Gibson Hotel, and its not that. The hotel has been open a while now, and its in a separate area to where the building work is taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

MJohnston wrote: »
    I can't work out whether its the Conference Centre or the Shopping Centre they are working on,

I think its the conference centre

they have opened the car park which I used last week and there was still a lot of activity on that building, which is the conference centre I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yeah, I was trying to visualise the layout of it in my head. I figure the Hotel occupies the western half of the ground floor and the upper floors, the Conference centre seems to be on the south-eastern side and maybe on upper floors, and then the shopping centre lives on the Northern side and a lobby in the middle. Its hard to know though, can't see inside! I wish some form of non-Spar/Centra/Londis shop would open there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

anyone know when dunnes is due to open in the point village?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can anyone here give a run down of Crosbie's acquired developments and plans for this site? I know he's got the Shopping Centre and the new cinema there, but what other things does he have for the docklands? I saw his proposals a while back and it encompassed such things as an outdoor area for concert gatherings and other things, all pretty ambitious stuff, anyone know what's the story with it? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Can anyone here give a run down of Crosbie's acquired developments and plans for this site? I know he's got the Shopping Centre and the new cinema there, but what other things does he have for the docklands? I saw his proposals a while back and it encompassed such things as an outdoor area for concert gatherings and other things, all pretty ambitious stuff, anyone know what's the story with it? Cheers.

I'd be interested in this too, but I'd hazard a guess that a lot of the plan you saw is scrapped by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I don't think there's much demand for a shopping centre down there and I'd be surprised if the cinema is still opened next year, it just seems too far out of the way of everything. I always thought Crosbie was being over ambitious, the new Point venue is fantastic thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Apparently the shopping centre is on the verge of opening, Dunnes are preparing to start fitting out their store, with Savills looking for other tenants. Its only a rumour though, nothing concrete, but I've heard it from a few different sources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bad location...far too ambitious and the whole lot belongs to another era.

It has fail written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Unfortunately I tend to agree with you, there's just not a big enough local population to sustain a development of that size, and we dont need another shopping centre in Dublin. It just wont have the stores in it to take customers from the major shopping centres in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I heard Harry Crosbie on the radio in the last week saying the point Village development was a mistake. I can't remember him saying that the shopping centre was going to open soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I heard Harry Crosbie on the radio in the last week saying the point Village development was a mistake. I can't remember him saying that the shopping centre was going to open soon.

Hafta worry about his state of mind sometimes..

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/harrys-giant-poster-tribute-to-gerry-2190474.html

Businessman Harry Crosbie is to remember his best friend Gerry Ryan by erecting a 60ft poster of the late broadcaster at his new Point Village Market which opens next Saturday.
    Originally put up in September 2007 as a joke by Mr Crosbie, the 60ft x 40ft poster read "Gerry Ryan To Open 'Cod Piece' Chip Shop in Point Village" topped off by a supposed quote from the RTE star saying it was his "dream come true".
    However, after the untimely death of the 53-year-old last month, Mr Crosbie said he wanted his much- missed friend looking down on visitors to the new 100-stall market when it opens next week.
    "It will be great to have Gerry up on the building for the opening. He got a great laugh out of the poster. The only thing that would stop me is if I get any reaction that it's in bad taste," Harry Crosbie told The Diary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I tend to agree with you, there's just not a big enough local population to sustain a development of that size, and we dont need another shopping centre in Dublin. It just wont have the stores in it to take customers from the major shopping centres in Dublin

The CHQ Building is a ghost town as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Degsy wrote: »
    Hafta worry about his state of mind sometimes..

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/harrys-giant-poster-tribute-to-gerry-2190474.html[/QUOTE]

Good Jesus! A life size poster of Gerry Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

There is a new sign there now, Huge Point Village shopping center sign infront of it since last week.

Might be a good sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    There is a new sign there now, Huge Point Village shopping center sign infront of it since last week.

Might be a good sign?

Dunno, haven't seen it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

Might be a good sign?

Does the sign say ghost shopping centre ahead?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One solitary unit ("retail 2") is missing off the map of to let units on the website; but it has been for weeks.

The Spar cannot cope with lunchtime demand anymore and arguably neither can the Gibson as its got terribly slow so there has to be a market for *something* to open if only just for the office demand.

Yea with Yahoo there now (they get free food) but it might make something moving in there attractive again? Why else would they put up a big sign years later..
    One can only wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Well there is massive development required on the north and south city docks so over the next decade a shopping centre could end up being like a Dundrum type place with more than just shops. That's assuming that plenty of apartments are built.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

"Dunnes must fit out if 7 other tenants found" I'm sure they'd be able to find the tenants http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/dunnes-must-fit-out-store-if-7-other-tenants-found-214158.html

"Dunnes must fit out if 7 other tenants found" I'm sure they'd be able to find the tenants http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/dunnes-must-fit-out-store-if-7-other-tenants-found-214158.html

The operators have been looking for tenants for almost 5 years now without success. CHQ has similarly failed to attract all but a few tenants.

New tenants in the Central Bank building in 2-3 years time might change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It won't stay vacant for long. I could see it being full by 2020. Retail is a growing sector and consumer confidence is back to boom time levels. There's already been a spate of planning applications in the SDZ

Optimistic. The global tend is away from shipping malls as Internet shipping continues to grow. In the US, it had been almost a decade since the last big mall opened. Internet shopping is only going to kill more retail over the coming years.

But in Ireland Internet shopping is still quite expensive and slow as non of the major online warehouses directly support Ireland.

Amazon DE and UK does deliver some items (not all) and shipping is sometimes quite expensive.

When I lived in Germany I almost only shopped online (next day delivery, free shipping) but here I only order what I can't find in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

JTMan wrote: »
    Optimistic. The global tend is away from shipping malls as Internet shipping continues to grow. In the US, it had been almost a decade since the last big mall opened. Internet shopping is only going to kill more retail over the coming years.

Perhaps globally, but in lil Ireland, increased footfall and increased consumer confidence is the trend. Liffey Valley is exapnding and Grafton street is now full.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Perhaps globally, but in lil Ireland, increased footfall and increased consumer confidence is the trend. Liffey Valley is exapnding and Grafton street is now full.

Ireland is not immune to the growth of internet retailing. There are multiple factors driving retail trends, internet shopping being a major trend factor.

The Sunday Business Post reports that Dunnes Stores have launched fresh new litigation against the receiver to the Point Village and the company behind the development. The lawsuit is against the terms of tenancy.

Meanwhile, NAMA, who have bundled the vast majority of the property for sale are not bundling the Point Village due to the litigation.

Hence, the Point Village remains in limbo, in the hands of a receiver, with Dunnes Stores still wanting nothing to do with it and NAMA unable to move forward.

What a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Build it and then they'll come springs to mind. Bit of a catch 22 but there is a rather large catchment area quite near it without a decent supermarket for some distance (East Wall, Grand Canal Dock, Castleforbes et al spring to mind). Once there's a busy supermarket established then the other units would be snapped up I'd imagine.

Advertisement