Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

happytramp wrote: »
    Edit.. What about a separate sam thread specifically dealing with his races.. With spoilers allowed?
    And that thread gets bounced to the top of the forum?

It was all operating fine until people decided they knew better tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

happytramp wrote: »
    It's pretty unlikely that people will come on to post sam bennett related news in the aftermath of one of his races that is unrelated to the result of said race.... Why would anybody with an interest in watching a race later that sam was likely to feature in go into a thread specifically dealing with sam. It's just common sense.... Anyway, I expect traffic on this thread to fall off a cliff now.

Edit.. What about a separate sam thread specifically dealing with his races.. With spoilers allowed?

MOD VOICE: There is general race thread for spoilers for all races, the title gives nothing away. Anyone can set up a specific race thread with spoiler tags, this again, gives nothing away. If people post here on the day of a big race that Sam is in, it is effectively a spoiler. Those are the rules, it was a decision based on years of back and forth, reports, arguments and disagreements. A separate "Sam" race thread has the same issue as this one getting posted in. If anyone wants to discuss it via PM, please do but just let it go here because from a posters point of view and a moderators view, this is the only way found that didn't piss everyone off, if you have a better idea, send it via PM and we can review.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not on the same day. It's really not that complicated?

what about if he is racing in a different timezone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

The Sam Bennett / Tyler durden thread.

I know he said he was going to be concentrating on his strength and conditioning going forward this year.
    The climbs in the Algarve should definitely help with that.

MOD VOICE: I've deleted a few posts. No more warnings, like I said, PM only, post in thread again about spoilers and it's a card, no discussion, if you have a query, PM only, no more messing about in thread. if you do not understand the rules, pm me and I will explain. Very simply, no on the day spoilers about a race (even if its not about Sam), no matter how small they may seem until after midnight. It really is that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hilly today and the final stage is hilly too. TT on sat but tomorrows stage while lumpy early on looks like should be a sprint stage.
    Could/Should be another chance for Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

RobFowl wrote: »
    Hilly today and the final stage is hilly too. TT on sat but tomorrows stage while lumpy early on looks like should be a sprint stage.
    Could/Should be another chance for Sam.

He’s looking good for the tour. Who’s his main opposition for the green jersey this year ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Great win yesterday
    We ssems to have won it at a canter.
    T today and hilltop finish tomorrow so training from here on but looking good for Le Tour.
    Was due to ride 4 days of Dunkirk but that's cancelled so wonder if he will ride again before TDF?
    Is it a spoiler to say he won't win today ;)

He’s looking good for the tour. Who’s his main opposition for the green jersey this year ?
    Other than Caleb who isn't as strong but possibly slightly more tactically better, or at least he was.
    Great win yesterday
    We ssems to have won it at a canter.
    T today and hilltop finish tomorrow so training from here on but looking good for Le Tour.
    Was due to ride 4 days of Dunkirk but that's cancelled so wonder if he will ride again before TDF?
    If he wasn't there I imagine Morkov could have won it, he just sat up in the last 50m and then got 3rd almost by accident. They are just so impressive.

Morkov is some animal. He's such a great match for Sam too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Cavendish :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just watched the highlights thanks for ruining the stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There's an interesting rumour apparently floating around at the Giro that Sam might be on his way back to Bora if/as Ackerman leaves............didnt see that as likely, but their chequebook might be a lot larger than DQSs

https://twitter.com/cirogazzetta/status/1391292489458405377?s=20

Unless they pay out huge, I don't see it. They didn't seem to treat him well when there. On the same note if the cheque is large enough he would be foolish not too but it didn't appear like an amicable separation the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Cyclings a business and if the numbers are right........

Could always bring Morkov with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

CramCycle wrote: »
    Unless they pay out huge, I don't see it. They didn't seem to treat him well when there. On the same note if the cheque is large enough he would be foolish not too but it didn't appear like an amicable separation the last time.

Considering at one stage they were both threatening to sue each other...

Of course it wouldn’t be the strangest thing to happen in pro cycling

https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/iers-spurtkanon-sam-bennett-vertrekt-na-dit-seizoen-bij-deceuninck-quick-step~a6f65f04/

Apparently Lefevre has just announced Sam is leaving DQT for ‘financial reasons’

Linked article is short and doesn’t expand on that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Dodge wrote: »
    https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/iers-spurtkanon-sam-bennett-vertrekt-na-dit-seizoen-bij-deceuninck-quick-step~a6f65f04/

Apparently Lefevre has just announced Sam is leaving DQT for ‘financial reasons’

Linked article is short and doesn’t expand on that

Not sure how to feel about this.... makes sense I suppose from a money point of view.

Doing a twitter search and he said something along the lines of ‘I’d like to keep him but I don’t have as much money as other teams’

Bora and UAE are the teams mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

griffin100 wrote: »
    Cyclings a business and if the numbers are right........

Could always bring Morkov with him.

If it does happen he should get Morkov to move with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Disappointed to hear that Sam will be leaving DQT. It looked like the perfect match but at end of the day something had to give. They were not going to be able to afford the full roster.

Looks like DQT are having a change of direction - they have the classics riders but with Evenepoel looks like they will also be chasing GC so maybe no big sprinter from next year. That would make it easier for Sam to bring Morkov with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im hoping its just threats at this stage although DQS have signed plenty of the young guys on for long contacts so perhaps they hit the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭dublin49

well when Sam wasn't in the top 20 earners in the peleton published this year it was clear he could be tempted away ala Viviani.I think Sam needs to make hay now as this is his last big pay day,he has had the glory ,time for the wheel barrow as Ernie Els said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bambaata wrote: »
    Im hoping its just threats at this stage although DQS have signed plenty of the young guys on for long contacts so perhaps they hit the budget

Its confirmed now it seems

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-to-leave-deceuninck-quickstep-at-end-of-2021-season/

Gaviria, Viviana and Cavendish all regretted the move so I hope he chooses wisely

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its confirmed now it seems

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-to-leave-deceuninck-quickstep-at-end-of-2021-season/

Gaviria, Viviana and Cavendish all regretted the move so I hope he chooses wisely
    Did they all regret it? They mightn’t have won as much but that’s not the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Did they all regret it? They mightn’t have won as much but that’s not the same thing

It's a short enough career. He is probably on decent money right now, but he is also at his - most valuable - peak and you cannot fault him for wanting a decent payday. If this is to be his last big contract, it needs to be a good one. We might not see him win as much, but that is a side point.

I still cannot fathom how the most successful team in pro-cycling cannot pay to retain its star riders. Given that it has retained Evenopoel on a long term deal, I guess Lefevre is prioritising a slightly different approach for the coming years

The big question now is whether they actually bring him to the Tour. It might depend on how the Giro works out for Evenopoel and Almeida (who is also leaving) but Cavendish is, no doubt, dropping ideas onto Lefervre WhatsApp as we speak.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

As long as Sam can bring Morkov with him, he will end up in a good place and get the payday he deserves, I hope. Sprinters leaving DSQ don't have a great record in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

True only they really know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm really surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Levfevre goes through sprinters like an avacado farm goes through water. I think he sees them as one trick ponies who are not worth the money that their agents expect them (The teams) to pay after a run of good results.

Sprinters can bring instant success if a win is needed, but a classics/GC rider will bring the long term prominenece to a team that the sponsors want.

Bennett going back to Bora would be interesting as they both ended up sort of throwing each other under the bus. Can they kiss and make up?

Advertisement