Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Revolut ATM charges

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

km991148 wrote: »
    Don't think you need to explain why you use a given product :pac:

Only because someone asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Only because someone asked.

Yeah, I know.. that's my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭alanbk

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Are you certain that your card is Irish? I've checked mine on a bin checker web site (bindb.com) & it comes up as GB. You may have done this already.

Did that lookup. My card is GB and my wife’s card is Lithuania. Maybe that explains it. Back onto Revolut so. Just went to local atm in applegreen with my wife’s cards. Withdraw €20 and no fee. Using my card and the fee is €1.95 to withdraw €20. So my card is seen as being in the uk and as such is not in Europe and therefore subject to withdrawal fees. Think that the reason anyway. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Have a read of the following:

https://blog.revolut.com/using-atms-abroad/

When you used your card you should have been given the option to select local currency or without conversion thereby avoiding the charge.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Have a read of the following:

https://blog.revolut.com/using-atms-abroad/

When you used your card you should have been given the option to select local currency or without conversion thereby avoiding the charge.

Yep. No option to change currency just an advisory re the charge. I’ll contact Revolut for the crack and see cad e an sceil .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Within the app, Revolut have a map showing commission-free ATMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭John Horgan

Sorry to bring up an old thread.. I was just wondering if there is a way to get one of the Revolut cards that doesn't charge you?

Mine is GB sadly and I'm between Bank cards from my EBS and refuse to pay 3.95 to take out 20 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I've had GB revolut cards and never been charged to withdraw. Is it the ATM you're going to?

Possibly but I went to 2 separate ones today.

The first was trying to charge 1.95.

I could of sworn it use to only charge 12 cent at a time.

Is there a certain type of ATM to look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I've never been charged withdrawing with Revolut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Nor me. Unless I go to one of those weird ATMs that charge a fee to everyone

Yes, and they actually tell you that there's a charge.

Yeah there was an option to cancel which I did when I seen the charge.

One of them was called EuroNet I think the ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Try just a normal bank ATM if you can

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Very few of those left - most off-premises ones (not physically in the wall of a bank) have been sold to Euronet or Brinks; and charge through the nose for non-Irish cards. And there's a huge depletion of actual bank branches too.

Hi. I’m in the same boat as you and had no joy with customer support. My card was one of the early ones and was uk based so any withdrawals I make in Ireland are seen as foreign and there is a ridiculous charge. Gave up trying to sort it. My wife’s card is Irish and she doesn’t get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aido

Mmm..Well I think its fair to say that the Irish banks have brought this on themselves. They have created the opportunity for Revolut.

Simple example...I had to help my Aunt transfer money from UK to Ireland (as she was moving back here and buying a small place). AIB's fees to her were €500 for transferring €20k (ie 2.5%). I helped her do it via Revolut for €30 at the time. I think the term used to describe Revolut is a bit unfair in that context.....

I should also add that its not just the Irish banks who have caused this...The UK Banks have not been much better, and have found that Revolut, N26 etc are now eating into their business also....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1cent

Simple example Western Union direct to bank account would cost her 9.90 euros.

But I wouldn't trust dodgy financial companies like revolut specially with large amount of money.

Perhaps you never read reviews of people who beign scammed by revolut?

And if that's not good enough check reviews of people who actually work for revolut. Never ever trust your money with revolut.

https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Revolut/reviews?fcountry=ALL&sort=rating_asc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Revolut are a Lithunian Bank with no ATMs or Branch structure in this country, why should they or their customers be allowed use ATMs for free in this country?

People complain when Irish Banks close their Branchs but wont pay for a local Bank Branch instead support Revolut which ultimately is a call centre/warehouse of hundreds of Lithunians on their minimum wage of 5 Euro an hour outside Kaunas. Not much use to the Irish economy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Born in Ukraine, and renounced his Russian citizenship. Obviously you don't read your own links.

Obviously he had no other choice but to follow abramovich, who got Israeli citizenship as well but a bit too late. The only reason he born in Ukraine during ussr because his father managed gazprom branch and then back home to russia hence I don't believe in last minute mind changer.

But I also read reviews of people already scammed by revolut and reviews of employees complaining of toxic work environment

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.revolut.com?stars=1

and

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Revolut/reviews?fcountry=ALL&sort=rating_asc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Thanks for the helpful Trust Pilot link in which 75% of respondents gave a 5 star review to Revolut! What is your problem?

Zombie thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus that is so infuriating- they are scum and milking it

I took a look at the review site, and there are loads of complaints about Customer service. I would have no issue with saying that Revolut have poor customer service. However I don't think you can say they are scammers. For myself I use Trustpilot which gives them 4.3 our of 5 (and over 120k reviews (as opposed to 400 odd reviews on the site above). Sure I don't like their customer service, but I personally find that I can eventually sort out things over their chat, and its worth a bit of effort for all the other fantastic features. The other thing I notice is that a lot of the reviews who tefer to "scammers" are actually talking about being scammed by a seperate company , and then saying that Revolut are scammers 'cos they don't just give them the money back. I would say that Revolut are not as easy to deal with with issues like this, but I always got my money back. There are a lot of people out there who might describe the Irish banks using that term (which I won't repeat) as they took €80 billion frrm the Irish Taxpayers .....Just saying......😎. I totally respect your right to prefer to use the Irish banks. It is reassuring to have a face and a "bricks and mortar" presence. All I am saying is that Revolut offer an alternative, which I find fantastic, but you need to understand their good points and their bad points. Finally Scammers can't maintain a huge customer base, as they get found out usually very quickly. Revolut has about 20 Million (mainly in the UK) and about 2M in Ireland......You can't scam that many people for too long.......

• Advertisement

I would also point out, that (in your review site) someone complained about the fact that when they raised issues with Revolut they told them "they could not answer the question" or "we don't disclose this"...Totally agree this is very frustrating, However, I notice that the Irish banks are now doing the same. eg. I tried to open an account with Bank of Ireland recently (3 times). Each time the application was rejected and when I called up they said the same thing...."Don't disclose". Also they said that the application is automatically deleted, and they couldn't even if they wanted to. I think what is happening here is that all the banks are using AI, and the customer reps don't even know why the "Bots" rejected the application. Fourth attempt worked..... On the ATMs its also clear that again the Irish banks are trying to do the same as Revolut (ie get rid of ATMs and introduce cashless branches). The politicians will delay it but you can bet your bottom dollar that they will eventually get there. The Irish banks are no different really, just they are moving more slowly.....

Advertisement