Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean their entire party policy at the moment is just whatever Trump says and he is just rambling on at this point.

If Trump returns for a pedal to the metal, full on looney campaign, the Dems could run against him with Kamala Harris if Biden can't do it anymore.
    If Trump loses against a woman of colour, the sh*tstorm would be glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Detritus70 wrote: »
    If Trump returns for a pedal to the metal, full on looney campaign, the Dems could run against him with Kamala Harris if Biden can't do it anymore.
    If Trump loses against a woman of colour, the sh*tstorm would be glorious.

If it is Kamala Harris then there’ll be dogs across America going nuts with the dog whistles that trump and his lot will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

K Harris is hated in the USA....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nope. 52% positive opinion. 31% negative opinion. 12% neutral opinion. 5% don't know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nope. 52% positive opinion. 31% negative opinion. 12% neutral opinion. 5% don't know.

American politics being as it is, I'd suspect that 52% is lopsided between democracy and republican support; with a predominant liking from the former and almost universal rejection by the latter. There are very few people and issues that enjoy support across the aisle when you breakdown by party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

pixelburp wrote: »
    American politics being as it is, I'd suspect that 52% is lopsided between democracy and republican support; with a predominant liking from the former and almost universal rejection by the latter. There are very few people and issues that enjoy support across the aisle when you breakdown by party.

Probably. However, what surprises me is the low negative opinion at 31%. In such a polarised society, you would expect a higher negative opinion along the lines of Dem-Rep support. In that context also, her positive opinion rating is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Some upgrade compared to Pence.
    Even the maga maniacs called him a traitor and wanted to harm him in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

By who? Care to show KH's popularity stats for this week/month?

By who? Care to show KH's popularity stats for this week/month?

I listen to some people who lean right and they say she is total evil, they have a intense hatred for her. I assume it is because she is woman of colour ? Or maybe the Fox News has demonised her ? Could be her record as a DA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I listen to some people who lean right and they say she is total evil, they have a intense hatred for her. I assume it is because she is woman of colour ? Or maybe the Fox News has demonised her ? Could be her record as a DA ?

Every politician the world over is hated by some, the trick is to be hated less than whoever you’re running against. That’s what happened in November, I’m not sure Biden was a wildly popular candidate to start with but he was the right candidate. Most people who claim to hate Harris wouldn’t vote for a democrat anyway so it’s pretty moot.

• Advertisement

Ah so you mean some right leaning people hate her as opposed to what you said/insinuated.

Shall we run through the list of perfectly decent politicians that are despised by the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So by your analysis pool of 'some people' you derived that she's hated in the US. You can science good

duploelabs wrote: »
    So by your analysis pool of 'some people' you derived that she's hated in the US. You can science good

Some people say that Elton's assertion are total rubbish.
    It's just pathological hatred by right-wingers of anyone who isn't a knuckledragging reactionary from the dark ages, sorry, republican.

Female democrat politicians seem to garner an irrationally high level of hatred when compared to their male counterparts. nancy pelosi, Hillary Clinton, ilhan omar, AOC.... there is a long list. The USA is a deeply racist and misogynistic place. If/when Harris runs she will have to overcome that.

Also whats with all the passive aggressive comments ?

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Some people say that Elton's assertion are total rubbish.
    It's just pathological hatred by right-wingers of anyone who isn't a knuckledragging reactionary from the dark ages, sorry, republican.

Yes, it’s a little bit funny alright.

Female democrat politicians seem to garner an irrationally high level of hatred when compared to their male counterparts. nancy pelosi, Hillary Clinton, ilhan omar, AOC.... there is a long list. The USA is a deeply racist and misogynistic place. If/when Harris runs she will have to overcome that.

Yes, they fear strong women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Yes, they fear strong women.

They fear the 21st century and all that the present and the future entails.

I don’t think they were passive aggressive comments. I mean you made a blanket statement about Kamala Harris being hated with zero reasoning behind it and anything that might have lead to a discussion on it. The post I’m replying to was a well thought out post IMO which had everything good the first one didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don’t think they were passive aggressive comments. I mean you made a blanket statement about Kamala Harris being hated with zero reasoning behind it and anything that might have lead to a discussion on it. The post I’m replying to was a well thought out post IMO which had everything good the first one didn’t.

My experience of evil Kamala Harris topics (entirely from young white american republican/libertarians online in discord chats) tend to focus on an almost conspiratorial obsession that they intentional pushed Joe Biden despite being too old so that he can die before his term is up and Kamala takes over and is able to get 3 terms of office as president. So she's the evil witch waiting to swoop in and steal democracy.

I wouldnt make it a blanket statement for all americans, but I would say it felt like a canned response that was picked up elsewhere and repeated.

To be fair though there was a similar "Oh no if Trump dies we get Pence" horror notion repeated around a lot early in his campaign. Though I dont recall it being accused a undemocratic or manipulated from on high as it has for Harris.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    My experience of evil Kamala Harris topics (entirely from young white american republican/libertarians online in discord chats) tend to focus on an almost conspiratorial obsession that they intentional pushed Joe Biden despite being too old so that he can die before his term is up and Kamala takes over and is able to get 3 terms of office as president. So she's the evil witch waiting to swoop in and steal democracy.

I wouldnt make it a blanket statement for all americans, but I would say it felt like a canned response that was picked up elsewhere and repeated.

To be fair though there was a similar "Oh no if Trump dies we get Pence" horror notion repeated around a lot early in his campaign. Though I dont recall it being accused a undemocratic or manipulated from on high as it has for Harris.

Maybe because the people making those arguments regarding Harris aren't exactly the most savvy, or actually interested in democracy.

I was going more for flippant in my reply. ;)
    This knee-jerk reaction isn't just reserved for women.
    These people are the American equivalent of the Taliban, they want to live in the stone ages or perhaps in a reality more akin to The Handmaid's Tale.
    Any online discourse with a hard-line republican, Christian Trumper is always extremely scary to me, these people make me extremely uneasy, they really have turned off any higher brain functions and just submitted to what can only be described as hatred.
    This is why it is extremely important for democrats to never pander to these extremists.
    And I really do want to see their reaction to a democrat woman from a minority background becoming president.
    I'm not saying that these people must be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, they'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Further to the notion of what "Americans" believe via polling, one that's ultimately skewed by Sports Team politics between Democrats and Republicans ... ... in a recent poll conducted for CNN, 70% of Republicans STILL believe the 2020 election was rigged/stolen. That's so obscene and doesn't bode well for where elections will go. Don't like a result? Well it's clearly because the other side (more than likely the democrats) cheated.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/most-republicans-still-wont-accept-that-biden-won/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And the funny thing is just how transparent it is. It is nothing more than a strategy to try to keep Trump relevant when he reality he has nothing to say.

By pretending that they are still fighting to win the stolen election (spolier alert, they aren't really!) it gets Trump to remain front and centre in the eyes of his supporters, that the battle is still raging, that if only he hadn't been robbed everything would be ok.

I doubt its even about Trump himself, the chance of him running is pretty small, but it ensures he stays as the main power in the GOP, and very successful he has been.

Its amazing to see the contrast that people like Romney, who are seen are a loser. That is the usual treatment of losing candidates.

Remember how HC was cast as feeling POTUS was her right, that she had had her chance in 2008 and lost to Obama in the primaries.

It's just a grift to get idiots to donate money to Trump which he uses to line his own pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's a two way grift

Trump is happy because it keeps him relevant and feeling powerful, Cheney being ousted will reinforce that and the right wings misgivings about his replacement nominee will disappear once he tells them to **** the **** up and do his bidding. He can of course make money off the crap too.

For the actual Republican's, it's self interest and a power hungry strategy, their ever dwindling base isn't theirs anymore. They ignored it and let trump grow in strength to the point where he has destroyed the party. It's a party of one now, so for them they don't even like him I'd wager but they know the people they need to vote for them do so they play along.

They treat their voters with total contempt, but it isn't surprising.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Rip gop.

Rip gop.

R.I.P? More like good riddance, America would be a much better place without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Rip gop.

Why, did they dump Cheney?

• Advertisement

Not shocked to see Liz Cheney gone given that it was clear it would happen several days ago. I mean whatever else you can say about her(and people do)the fact of the matter is, in regards to the election she was right. Just because Donald trump can’t except it, that’s tough ****. The Americans go on and on about “peaceful transfer of power” and “beacon of democracy” yet since November 7th, 2020(when the election was called) one side at least has exhibited none of the so called values they stand for.

Advertisement