Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

Think there was at least one forward in the lead up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭testtech05

Fair play to SOB serious effort by him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Fair ****s to O'Brien. One of the few to come out of this match with credit in my eyes. Papali'i showing he was worth a contract too

No try, dropped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

SOB has been class any time I've seen him this season, looks like a great prospect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bazzo wrote: »
    They took a 5m tap

Damn it, I must have blinked.

1 of the Leinster jackalers there definitely off his feet by hasn't been called all evening

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

i miss the sportsground, even on nights like this,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

When did Papalii become prime Nakarawa with the one handed waves?

Sullivan did very well to finish that thought first he should have given to McNulty I think it was on his outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Great finish from Sullivan there, to be fair, but if he hadn't made it, he'd have been crucified for not passing it.

Nice finish. Might be worth asking Frank if the new "whoever scores next wins" law is in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That must be at least half a dozen penalties from Leinster in and around their own 22.

Oh my god that was stupid

No idea why Marmion quick tapped there. Not convinced the player was back 10 either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

What an awful 5 minutes for Murphy.

163 points conceded in our last 4 games. Mother of god

Have Connacht won a single jackal penalty in this match?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Always tried to find good points, like double BP vs Scarlets, individuals and so on

There, 45 points conceeded in 45 minutes

Unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Absolutely pathetic defensive performance. I don't particularly care about this trophy but these games are important for Connacht in terms of taking something positive from an at best very mixed bag season.

Before anyone says anything we all know how good Leinster are and all credit to them but once again we went from a situation where we had played some excellent rugby and were in a really strong position to complete capitulation within 10-15 minutes. Leinster just had to up the intensity a notch and we fold like deckchairs. Same story v Scarlets, Leicester, Ospreys, Ulster at Christmas etc. etc. The volume of cheap scores we are shipping and the rate at which we ship them when the tide turns against us is alarming. The maul defence is once again beyond belief. If a team overpower us or go through a large number of phases and wear us down I've no problem but we have shown no signs that we have any idea how to cope defensively and in particular with the maul, if you saw that level of disorganisation at junior level you'd be asking serious questions

Leinster were running the ball over the line off mauls without having to build any concerted pressure. Once the first shove came on, any resistance caved in. Some tries we gave them an uncontested lineout and still had no ideas of how to make them work for the try at least.

We have a new forwards coach coming in but that isn't going to solve the systemic issues within Connacht. I like Friend as a person and when we are in full flow we play some great stuff but to me there is pretty limited leadership in this team as a whole and I don't see any accountability in terms of our defence. How Wilkins is being kept around is beyond me. Nigel Carolan's loss looks like it'll be huge too.

A few big wins have papered over the cracks to some extent but Im very worried about the tracjectory we are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ShineyShiney

We are an easy team to beat, no respect for the ball we give it away far too cheaply and have no turnover threat to recover it. Time for a change of tactics I think.

Some good individual performances despite the heavy loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Saw something about roux going to Toulon, hopefully that’s not true.

Not having Tom Farrell has been a huge loss this season. Hopefully he can get a good run next season. Is bundees suspension over now? Would expect the team to get a real boost when he plays next abs are we likely to see ginger sob during the rainbow cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Heard SOB2.0 (centre) leaving for England as well

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

d-gal wrote: »
    Heard SOB2.0 (centre) leaving for England as well

Where did you hear that? Would be big mistake by Connacht to let him go! Especially as I doubt Robb will get contract extension next season given the amount of injuries he gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Yeah that’s fair enough too.

I would like the expectation to be that any first choice international will stay at Connacht, that expectation exists in Ulster/Munster (can’t recall the last time one moved within Ireland) but I’m not sure it does in Connacht or at least it didn’t in 2016, when a large part of the support was pretty accepting of the move.
    Isaac Boss and Ed O'Donohue both left Ulster for Leinster as first choice players though Ruan Pienaar had been signed so Boss left. He was O.K. for Leinster, EOD wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Saw something about roux going to Toulon, hopefully that’s not true

If it is true, the money needs to be found to bring in a test quality second row from somewhere, a big lump who can stand in the way of a rolling maul and hopefully give a bit of on field leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

lenny4545 wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Would be big mistake by Connacht to let him go! Especially as I doubt Robb will get contract extension next season given the amount of injuries he gets!

SOB 2.0 has been one of the standouts in the back half of the season,

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

If Quinn is leaving, it must be because of money, Toulon are ceretainly not going to win a champions cup. If it's a wage issue, the IRFU surely should have to explain their financial analysis. Quinn is an international and important member of the Irish squad. It would be very odd if he was to be lost to the Irish system (Leinster are also in need of a lock of his type.). Claims of times being tough are not sufficient if money can be found to bring Zebo back from France and sign Jenkins for Munster. And there are rumours that Munster's are not finished shopping.

gallyind wrote: »
    SOB 2.0 has been one of the standouts in the back half of the season,

Please let this be a situation where they are allowing him to play himself into a contract, because he has been putting in the performances. I thought him and Daly were good yesterday.

Regarding last night, it was nasty to see the identified weaknesses result in a rout. On the other hand Leinster learnt the lessons form the last outing and fixed their vulnerability in the line out.

Inability to win the ball on the ground, and a continued failure to properly protect the ball carrier, these things we've seen over and over. And the maul, it was a disgrace. Occasionally it has appeared as if progress was being made on that front, but last night exposed it in the most gory manner imaginable. somebody needs to be given the job of fixing this problem and given the resources if necessary to do so. Failure to solve the problem should result in dismissal.

Last night's maul failure was behind five of Leinster's tries. Now they're a great team, so some of those scores they would have gotten anyway, but they didn't have to sweat. Something has to change or we will not be competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Most were scornful but I stand for my point
    We need gym gym and gym again (+ arm-wrestle technique of course)
    It was boys vs men in contact. No gainline success. No ruck abilities. Simple as.

I was about to say, yes, we look as disjointed as within Bradley era.
    But we're letal in attack out wide, and that's a big big difference, explaining we're in a trouble era between disaster and genius.
    Pre-season will be a key to see the side of the coin where we fall

Advertisement