Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

joujoujou wrote: »
    qLf1FiS.jpg

Choking accident - a man apparently died when eating a full packet of fruit pastilles at once. Pathology reports indicate it was the plastic that did it.

The message:
    Gums don't kill people, wrappers do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IrishZeus wrote: »
    princesbride_movie_main.jpg
    Sorry for quoting a pic but just wanted to ask which movie this is?

QUOTE=The Princess Bride ;)

filmconcertslive.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/princesbride_movie_main.jpg

Very good movie. You may or may not recognise the princess from a hit TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

4542_66fd.gif

Small underwater nuke. The vertical black thing on the right may be shading, material from the lagoon or a Japanese Battleship.

It's obviously a kaiju, maybe even Godzilla himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New Home wrote: »
    622401.gif

Tanks have cat-erpillar tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Small underwater nuke. The vertical black thing on the right may be shading, material from the lagoon or a Japanese Battleship.

The result of the test was that even on ships that survived not only would the crew have been killed but they couldn't just wash the ships down and put new crew on as everything was irradiated,

Do you ever get the impression that these "tests" were the equivalent of today's "Jackass" or "Mythbuster"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"Hi, I'm Robert Oppenheimer, welcome to the Manhattan Project!"

New Home wrote: »
    Do you ever get the impression that these "tests" were the equivalent of today's "Jackass" or "Mythbuster"?
    Billy Mitchell's bombing of WWI ex-German Battleships in 1921 proved what everyone already knew that enough bombs will sink any ship.

But because the ships were sunk the Navy wasn't able to measure what damage was caused by what weapons. That could have meant more protection or the realisation that protection wasn't worth it. It could have drastically changed US navy losses during the first half of WWII

But making the Army look good at the expense of the Navy was importanter.

The Soviets are our adversary. Our enemy is the Navy.”
    — Curtis LeMay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

4542_66fd.gif

The result of the test was that even on ships that survived not only would the crew have been killed but they couldn't just wash the ships down and put new crew on as everything was irradiated,

Surely the black thing on the right is just the ship that was there but now just vertical?

It's smoke being pulled inwards, after the shock wave

• Advertisement

It's smoke being pulled inwards, after the shock wave

Definitely not a ship, would be mahoosive.

They were very liberal with their use of nukes back in the day. Boys and their toys.

vVCPXoL.png

WOW! A Datsun 280Z

Not gone on the colour.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Not gone on the colour.

Don't worry it'll fly though the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Don't worry it'll fly though the NCT.

Gonna need a set of tyres I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Is the car invisible, or buried upside-down? ;)

552749.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What's with the MRI one in YLYL?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ficheall wrote: »
    What's with the MRI one in YLYL?

Wheelchairs are metal objects with a strong affinity for MRI scanners.
    Hopefully it was empty at the time of launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Neither, it has one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0893DJYG5

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Neither, it has one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0893DJYG5

Ha!
    Camouflage Car Vehicle Cover, Military Camo Netting, Camouflage Tarp Mesh Net, Lightweight Waterproof for Sunshade,Canopy,Party Decoration,Hunting Blind

For when you don't want people finding and then gate-crashing the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Very good movie. You may or may not recognise the princess from a hit TV series.

If you are like me however, you are unlikely to recognise Inigo Montoya as Saul from the TV series Homeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Oh, you mean Rube from Dead Like Me?

It's clearly this guy.

552834.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

josip wrote: »

I thought it was a car wheel, but now I look closer its a motorised wheelchair

josip wrote: »

These machines are absolutely deadly and need respect and care

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boy-killed-in-freak-mri-accident/#app

These machines are absolutely deadly and need respect and care

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boy-killed-in-freak-mri-accident/#app

You'd think they'd have a metal detector at the entrance to the room. I say that knowing at least one hospital that doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

My mrs is a radiographer. She has told me of flying objects in or around the scanner. The magnetic force is crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg

** No, she is not the cause **

GBX wrote: »
    My mrs is a radiographer. She has told me of flying objects in or around the scanner. The magnetic for is crazy

The melon crushing training vids are frightening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

GBX wrote: »
    My mrs is a radiographer. She has told me of flying objects in or around the scanner. The magnetic for is crazy

That's why you should be very careful if you've metal in your body, piercings or surgical stuff of shrapnel or even some types of ink.

Edited to add: Not sure about amalgam tooth fillings or crowns.

Advertisement