Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carded without explaination

Options
  • 21-04-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was given a yellow card for calling a poster a troll for their incendiary and possibly libelous information against a living person living in Ireland. I was told that calling someone a troll was against the rules by the mod and I was given a yellow card. It doesn't appear in the charter of the relevant sub (Waterford) or the politics sub which is sometimes relevant to the Waterford sub. The mod said I was Back seat modding and then refused to cite the charter or engage. The mod poste don the same thread to disagree with me on a point that I had made. Is this correct procedure?

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Have you made an attempt to resolve this with the mod in question via PM, before we progress further? The CMod will likely need evidence of those PMs, so if you haven't, I would suggest that be your first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Tokyo wrote: »
    Have you made an attempt to resolve this with the mod in question via PM, before we progress further? The CMod will likely need evidence of those PMs, so if you haven't, I would suggest that be your first step.

I have. I will give them a few days to respond so.

OK I have waited a few days. I have evidence I messaged them many times but they are ignoring me. Do you want me to send a screenshot?

hi, any updates? thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I will alert the CMod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Your thread title is 'carded without explanation' yet you were clearly given an explanation for the card, I can see it on your profile here, and the mod also posted it clearly on thread.

Can you explain what your actual issue is here and what you hope to get from this DRP?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just for the avoidance of any doubt, or indeed if you are posting from Touch. This is the message you received with the card
    Your low-level trolling isn't acceptable on this thread, additionally calling other users on this thread will result in your being hit with the ban hammer fairly quickly. Any more of this nonsense is going to earn you a ban.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Your thread title is 'carded without explanation' yet you were clearly given an explanation for the card, I can see it on your profile here, and the mod also posted it clearly on thread.

Can you explain what your actual issue is here and what you hope to get from this DRP?

No they didnt. The idea that calling a poster a troll is trolling is arbitrary and undefined rule. It is not in any charter.

Beasty wrote: »
    Just for the avoidance of any doubt, or indeed if you are posting from Touch. This is the message you received with the card

As far as I understand they cant make rules off the cuff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No they didnt. The idea that calling a poster a troll is trolling is arbitrary and undefined rule. It is not in any charter.

Yes they did. Go back and read the thread again. Go back and read the pm you would have received. You got an explanation, I think your real issue is you disagree with the reasons for it.

Calling people a troll or dishonest is not on, you need to be able to answer a post without resorting to that.

It's not serious stuff by any means, but the yellow card is a warning to you to take care with your posting.
    As far as I understand they cant make rules off the cuff?
    No-one made up a rule off the cuff.

I don't see any reason to overturn this yellow card, if you disagree you can take it further but realistically it's just a warning, nothing more.

• Advertisement

Yes they did. Go back and read the thread again. Go back and read the pm you would have received. You got an explanation, I think your real issue is you disagree with the reasons for it.

Calling people a troll or dishonest is not on, you need to be able to answer a post without resorting to that.

It's not serious stuff by any means, but the yellow card is a warning to you to take care with your posting.

No-one made up a rule off the cuff.

I don't see any reason to overturn this yellow card, if you disagree you can take it further but realistically it's just a warning, nothing more.
    I didn't call anyone dishonest.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116921278&postcount=16

The mod did not point to any charter. They accused me of trolling for calling me a troll. Its just weird.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116932898&postcount=20

I don't wish to make a fuss but I thought every sub had its own charter and rules.

Also I don't see how it is ethical for a mod to moderate a thread in which they engage in the discussion. In my case they engaged to criticise my comment which seems like a conflict of interest. Like I know this is just a forum. It's not the end of the world but it seems like a weak design.

You did.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116891833&postcount=8
    The mod did not point to any charter. They accused me of trolling for calling me a troll. Its just weird.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116932898&postcount=20

I don't wish to make a fuss but I thought every sub had its own charter and rules.

Also I don't see how it is ethical for a mod to moderate a thread in which they engage in the discussion. In my case they engaged to criticise my comment which seems like a conflict of interest. Like I know this is just a forum. It's not the end of the world but it seems like a weak design.

Each forum does have its own charter.
    You'll find it stickied to the front page of that forum.

Moderators are quite entitled to respond on any thread on boards, this is not unusual.

You did.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116891833&postcount=8

Each forum does have its own charter.
    You'll find it stickied to the front page of that forum.

Moderators are quite entitled to respond on any thread on boards, this is not unusual.

That post wasnt carded though. Thanks for the feedback. I really think there should be some guidelines that mods should not get in the thick of conservations that they moderate. Is there a way I can purse that further? Thanks

If you want to make that suggestion there is a feedback forum Here where you can bring it up.

If you want to make that suggestion there is a feedback forum Here where you can bring it up.

go raibh maith agat

Thread can be closed now thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement