Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What exactly is the "BMW Starter Pack"?

• 29-05-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any idea what the "BMW Starter Pack" is that they stick on a new car quote and charge €400 for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

QBLjw1X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

^ That's what pops up when you Google it alright.

I'd guess delivery, number plates, a splash of fuel, a few pastries during handover, who the hell knows? Useful though in it gets you used to BMW ownership from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

I was going to type "no, I am not asking for the starter pack meme" in my original but thought nah, nobody will bother with that.

Delivery is included separately so will ask them for some details. Probably just nonsense the dealer sticks in to get a few extra euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it a coating or is it possible it is a pack of cleaning equipment in the boot such as auto glym products such as polish and wheel cleaner etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

When I got my X5 a few years ago, they gave me a rucksack full of cleaning stuff and polishes as well as a keyring and some other bits and bobs - I assumed it was the 'starter kit'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Cheers, that sounds about right. I remember now I bought 1 before back in 2013 and I did get that rucksack full of cleaning stuff, so that must be what it is on the price sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Never bought a brand new BMW but I'm led to believe its a small pack of BMW branded merchandise such as keyring, cleaning products, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not cheap anyhow.

You can be sure the cost is well factored into the pricing of the car.

Money better spent on far superior products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it optional?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That pack of cleaning stuff is the Protect X kit and it costs €295 (well it did on the 181 BMW's quote document I'm looking at at the moment)

Looking at the quote I have here I think the "Starter Pack" is just the base options that come with the car, on the quote I have here it's run-flat tyres, alarm system, floor mats, rear-view mirror auto dimming, seat heating, park distance control, rain sensor, auto air conditioning and other stuff I can't be bothered typing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    You can be sure the cost is well factored into the pricing of the car.

If it was the pack would be reasonably priced surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Starter pack is a load of bs and not every dealer charges it.
    It is an excuse to get more money from the customer.
    It is separate to the gard x paint treatment and delivery charges.
    If you ask they say it is the additional cost of getting the car ready for the customer i.e. removing plastics, doing a pdi and putting some fuel in.
    Last time I bought new I told them it was a deal breaker and they removed it from the order with no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Refuse it.

From memory it's mats (which are standard on pretty much all models now), full tank of fuel, cleaning products and profit..

If you give me €400 I'll fill your car twice and keep the rest....

Company upselling overpriced merchandise, shocker that. They really should put a patent on that concept before someone else thinks of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I was going to type "no, I am not asking for the starter pack meme" in my original but thought nah, nobody will bother with that.

Sorry, not sorry.
    I couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Anyone got any recent experience with this starter pack lark? it’s on a build a dealer did up for me (BTW delivery is a different line item) and he’s been evasive about what it is and given it’s 895 I’m more than curious! I’ll hopefully be sitting down with him in the next week or so but any info would be useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Ago1960

At 7.52 you had no idea what "The starter Pack" was and now you know it is not what is in the supplied link. Please enlighten us as to your new knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Ago1960 wrote: »
    At 7.52 you had no idea what "The starter Pack" was and now you know it is not what is in the supplied link. Please enlighten us as to your new knowledge

It's obviously not the above link, what's with the attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

My m8 defo got a BMW logo jacket a few years ago and if I remember a BMW baseball cap,. along with the goodie bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

My m8 defo got a BMW logo jacket a few years ago and if I remember a BMW baseball cap,. along with the goodie bag.

Full Alan Partridge kit

Maybe it’s a typo and should be 89.95 and not 895!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 grob115

MM3 wrote: »
    Anyone got any recent experience with this starter pack lark? it’s on a build a dealer did up for me (BTW delivery is a different line item) and he’s been evasive about what it is and given it’s 895 I’m more than curious! I’ll hopefully be sitting down with him in the next week or so but any info would be useful.

Sorry but did you ever find out what the starter pack is? Think I am getting a price from the same dealer and also very evasive

• Registered Users Posts: 26 finners01

grob115 wrote: »
    Sorry but did you ever find out what the starter pack is? Think I am getting a price from the same dealer and also very evasive

Hi there, did you get to the bottom of the starter pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

finners01 wrote: »
    Hi there, did you get to the bottom of the starter pack?

Wash, fuel, mats, leather pouch with 1l of engine oil, keyring and a tin of mints with the BMW logo.

Thats what I got but its 7 or 8 years ago and they didn't charge €400 for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement