Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What powers do off duty Gardaí have in this country?

• 07-05-2021 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Can an off duty Garda arrest someone who is causing criminal damage or stealing from a shop or being disorderly in public using their own physical restraint (ie, not handcuffs)?

Can they observe bad parking or driving infringements and remember or write down what happened and just start the paperwork the following morning he or she is in work?

Can they retrospectively issue fines for observations that they made during them being off duty?

Or do ASG members only have the same powers as you or I when not on duty or in uniform?

Comments

They are always gardai, on or off duty, they are gardai.
    They wouldn't usually go around working when off duty though.

Gardai have full powers 24/7 except for the ability to perform GENERAL traffic directing as they are not in uniform.

There's currently a bit of a catch 22 in that Gardai have powers and are duty bound to intervene in crimes but a direction from about 10 years ago that they should not involve themselves in non urgent matters. What is 'urgent' wasn't specified not if it isn't meant taking immediate action or not.

Gardai can issue tickets afterwards but for example, if you issue a ticket that is for outside your area, you will be requested to explain it.

Most Gardai at some point in their lives will have at least one off duty prisoner. Some will have dozens. I have had about 10 but most where in my actual working area while going to / from work or court. My own fault for using public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 12,929 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Most Gardai at some point in their lives will have at least one off duty prisoner. Some will have dozens. I have had about 10 but most where in my actual working area while going to / from work or court. My own fault for using public transport

I have this image of you having a prison cell instead of a garden shed at home :)

Advertisement