Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunstroke 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

I'm in the Naas area. Absolutely cracking festival weather all weekend, warm and a little humid but no beating down sun on you all day. Ah well. Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Anyone know how many tickets were sold? Might give an idea weather they'd wanna try it next year, the silence on their part probably an indication that it wasn't great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Well just before the Covid kicked off they said:

⛔️ General Admission 2 Day: SOLD OUT
    ✅ Weekend Camping (Over 18s **): LIMITED
    ✅ Single Day: LIMITED

The fact its MCD they can survive with the first year possibly not selling out as its a brand new festival and want to grow the brand name. Id be heartbroken if its not back next year tho

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

what was the capacity tho?? i heard only 10,000....

quaidox wrote: »
    what was the capacity tho?? i heard only 10,000....

Yea think you are right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Sunstroke 2021 could slot nicely into this weekend...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Penfailed wrote: »

Same weekend as Graspop, zero chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm leaning more towards it not happening at all unfortunately. Would like to hear some confirmation on it at least.

Mushy wrote: »
    I'm leaning more towards it not happening at all unfortunately. Would like to hear some confirmation on it at least.

Yea my gut is saying it probably wont happen. Didnt it share the same weekend as Download this year so maybe they'll keep it the same as its probably easier for the majority of acts to fly/ferry to and from Ireland via the UK. Plus DL is on the Irish bank holiday weekend so it would be ideal :)

EDIT: Deftones are down to play Resurrection in Spain between the 2-5th of June so could fit in Sunstroke and FNM have nothing in Europe till the 7th of June. Fingers crossed ha

Yea my gut is saying it probably wont happen. Didnt it share the same weekend as Download this year so maybe they'll keep it the same as its probably easier for the majority of acts to fly/ferry to and from Ireland via the UK. Plus DL is on the Irish bank holiday weekend so it would be ideal :)

EDIT: Deftones are down to play Resurrection in Spain between the 2-5th of June so could fit in Sunstroke and FNM have nothing in Europe till the 7th of June. Fingers crossed ha

Yeah deftones will likely be at download that weekend too, so could do spain, England, Ireland. Definitely space for FNM. Mastodon dont seem to be returning back next summer, so thatd be a high up band of the list.

Theres a slight overlap to Nova Rock too, so thatd make 4 festivals in europe that one weekend, could hamper a potential lineup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭T.V Eye

Seems like every other festival was essentially postponed to 2021, the fact that this was cancelled doesn't sound good for the future. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Well just before the Covid kicked off they said:

⛔️ General Admission 2 Day: SOLD OUT
    ✅ Weekend Camping (Over 18s **): LIMITED
    ✅ Single Day: LIMITED

The fact its MCD they can survive with the first year possibly not selling out as its a brand new festival and want to grow the brand name. Id be heartbroken if its not back next year tho

In fairness if it sold this well the promoters will have seen there is a market for this type of event and go along and plan for another one in the future,the only question is when events this size will be left happen again.

psychozeb wrote: »
    In fairness if it sold this well the promoters will have seen there is a market for this type of event and go along and plan for another one in the future,the only question is when events this size will be left happen again.

Yea the fact it sold well they might still look at doing it next year, again im just clutching at straws here because i really hope it happens next year.

116691859_10158631333248658_1480356416075592829_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=MjPFJWGn5_wAX_Och0g&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=2a40ab7702315c1bcc91bb9630af0dbc&oe=5F45AFAC

Plenty of acts id be happy to see at Sunstroke(again if it even happens)

116691859_10158631333248658_1480356416075592829_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=MjPFJWGn5_wAX_Och0g&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=2a40ab7702315c1bcc91bb9630af0dbc&oe=5F45AFAC

Plenty of acts id be happy to see at Sunstroke(again if it even happens)

Indeed...it's no where near as strong as the Sunstroke line up was though!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It's the same weekend (assuming Sunstroke kept to same weekend as Download), so thatd be 5 festivals. Far less confident itll be on now

It's the same weekend (assuming Sunstroke kept to same weekend as Download), so thatd be 5 festivals. Far less confident itll be on now

It actually makes it more likely.

It actually makes it more likely.

You think? I'd have said less likely cos unlikely to play/travel 3 days in a row. Caveat of course that the Spanish one starts earlier so it's one less if the sunstroke bands played there early. But even having 3 others between the friday to Sunday, could cause some problems.

Then again they could change the lineup and work it out. Were refunds given?

Were refunds given?

Yes. No issues.

That download announcement this morning....makes me think this could actually go ahead again. It has Mastodon, Gojira, Sepultura, Distillers amongst many others, Faith No More available, so hopefully it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

That download announcement this morning....makes me think this could actually go ahead again. It has Mastodon, Gojira, Sepultura, Distillers amongst many others, Faith No More available, so hopefully it happens

Yeah looks very positive for it to get rescheduled

Good few id love to pop over to Sunstoke (if it happens) that werent originally on the line up, like KSE, Airbourne, Rise Against, Steel Panther, The Darkness, Biffy, ADTR

Good few id love to pop over to Sunstoke (if it happens) that werent originally on the line up, like KSE, Airbourne, Rise Against, Steel Panther, The Darkness, Biffy, ADTR

Youd imagine given the size of the headliners for this year that KSE and Biffy wouldnt be in the mix as theyd likely be in the same category/bigger. Hopefully the bands have the time free for it anyway

Youd imagine given the size of the headliners for this year that KSE and Biffy wouldnt be in the mix as theyd likely be in the same category/bigger. Hopefully the bands have the time free for it anyway

Yea if Biffy did play they would headline but KSE wouldnt be headlining since the last few times they've played here they were in the Academy.

I'd love Sunstroke to happen next year. I was gutted to miss it this year. Of the Download line up, I'd take Biffy, SOAD, Korn and Deftones. I've yet to see the latter three live. I'd miss not seeing FNM again though...

I'd love Sunstroke to happen next year. I was gutted to miss it this year. Of the Download line up, I'd take Biffy, SOAD, Korn and Deftones. I've yet to see the latter three live. I'd miss not seeing FNM again though...

I wonder "if" it happens would they maybe looking at getting slightly bigger headliners and say go for a 20k festival(instead of the approx 10k that was planned for this year) e.g like getting Biffy and SOAD as headliners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I wonder "if" it happens would they maybe looking at getting slightly bigger headliners and say go for a 20k festival(instead of the approx 10k that was planned for this year) e.g like getting Biffy and SOAD as headliners?

The headliners were big enough for 50k festivals already i reckon they probably could have and with the details of how ticket sales went they now might.

The headliners were big enough for 50k festivals already i reckon they probably could have and with the details of how ticket sales went they now might.

Abroad yes i would agree since both Defones/FNM were headlining festivals around Europe but i dont think in Ireland they would have the pull to attract that sized crowds in Ireland.

I see fnm have announced the rescheduled dates for the their UK which collides with download, so if sunstroke happens the same weekend as DL then no fnm. Again if the festival goes ahead next year I'd love for it to be the June Bank Holiday weekend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I think I was most disappointed at this being cancelled above all else

Advertisement