Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hibernia 2021

Options
  • 07-04-2021 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

I’m hoping to apply to hibernia to begin the PME in primary teaching in September 2021, and I’m so nervous for the Irish part of the interview. I’ve seen lots of posts on here about the kind of questions they ask but I’ve seen conflicting reports on the actual standard required at interview. How difficult is it? What kind of standard is expected and is getting a place on the course very difficult ? Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

Leaving cert ordinary level i'd say, able to hold a basic conversation will be fine. Nothing overly complicated, the usual topics- talk about family, hobbies, etc. Check out education posts forum, people put up the questions they've been asked at their interviews. so you'll get a feel for the current "list" the interviewers are working from. Don't get bogged down about the Irish, its hardly a minute of the interview. Some people focus everything on the Irish because of the fear of it and forget the rest of the interview is just as important.

Any involvement with children in clubs, etc such as sports coaching will without doubt be a huge advantage to getting a place. Something different to just edge you ahead of others. If there was anything local you could volunteer for it would be a massive help

Huge these days is having a good knowledge around Child Safety and guidelines. Just a quick study in this area would be of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

Hi, thanks so much for the reply. Have you interviewed with them before ? That’s very reassuring as I’m currently repeating the leaving cert in higher level Irish. I’ve done a BA in early Ed and work in a school environment so have good experience there and with child protection.

I’ve heard the actual interview is very fast paced which is where I’d fall down potentially as I have a good understanding but not as quick with responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

ADowling wrote: »
    Hi, thanks so much for the reply. Have you interviewed with them before ? That’s very reassuring as I’m currently repeating the leaving cert in higher level Irish. I’ve done a BA in early Ed and work in a school environment so have good experience there and with child protection.

I’ve heard the actual interview is very fast paced which is where I’d fall down potentially as I have a good understanding but not as quick with responses.

It was a while ago that I did it, 2008. But from chatting to various people since it still sounds similar enough
    Your BA and working in a school environment will put you in a great position as you’ll be able to quote all the experience you already have in that area, you’ll have knowledge that others won’t have gained yet

The one thing too is that the interviewers are all nice people from what I’ve seen and heard. They’re not there to trick you or catch you out. They just want to see are you suitable for the course.
    Your experience of working in a school environment will be huge, I guarantee you that much. You’re a step ahead already of someone working in another area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd recommend doing a few grinds, just to get comfortable with speaking Irish in a semi-formal context. Also, the level required for entry into PME courses is increasing from this year, so be conscious they may expect slightly more from you than in previous years.

Confidence is the main thing. They want to make sure you're suitable for the course, but also that the course is suitable for you - someone who hates it and complains about it regularly is not a good ambassador, and Hibernia appear to be very keen on student ambassadors.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Hey,

Just wondering if you ended up doing the interview and if there was any insight you could share? Was there a fairly high standard of Irish expected or was it ok?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

General questions about family, hobbies, your area. Then some questions about the past tense, present tense and future, finally a modh Coinníollach. Lots of resources online about the questions they ask.

Advertisement