Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LIDL Bagnalstown opening Thursday 18th

Options
  • 11-02-2021 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

After, what, 12 years? LIDL to open their new store in Bagnalstown on Thursday 18th Feb.
    This according to their new customer service chat line on WhatsApp.

Dunno what time, or if there will be any open offers or goodies/freebies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Beauchamp Bagenal

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    After, what, 12 years? LIDL to open their new store in Bagnalstown on Thursday 18th Feb.
    This according to their new customer service chat line on WhatsApp.

Dunno what time, or if there will be any open offers or goodies/freebies.

What? It's a bare shell right now.
    It won't be openeduntil the summer at least, they tried to build it on the cheap and their main contractors have made so many ****ups building it so far.
    Our local Sinn Fein bawler is in the Nationalist this week crying about footpaths around the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Having worked for Lidl in a past life, you'd be surprised how quickly they can fit out and stock a shop.

I've seen them fit out a shell in three or four days. And I've seen them stock a shop overnight.

I'm not from Bagenalstown but if the shell is ready to go, a week is usually enough for them to get it open.

That said, I don't see a pile of advertisements (which they normally do for an opening) so I doubt it's going to open next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Having worked for Lidl in a past life, you'd be surprised how quickly they can fit out and stock a shop.

I've seen them fit out a shell in three or four days. And I've seen them stock a shop overnight.

I'm not from Bagenalstown but if the shell is ready to go, a week is usually enough for them to get it open.

That said, I don't see a pile of advertisements (which they normally do for an opening) so I doubt it's going to open next week.

Unless they do a big spread in the paper next week if Thursday the 18th is nailed on maybe and a targeted leaflet drop/social media campaign in the catchment area maybe?

They were quick enough getting it to the point it's at now though in fairness though the pic behind Cllr. Gladney in the paper wouldn't've suggested this.

Still think it's mad that in the two smaller county towns we've 3 Supermarkets in one & 4 in the other; would never've thought that sustainable in the past; am sure the Covid 5k guidelines have certainly helped them all mind & consumers've benefited too.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Still think it's mad that in the two smaller county towns we've 3 Supermarkets in one & 4 in the other; would never've thought that sustainable in the past; am sure the Covid 5k guidelines have certainly helped them all mind & consumers've benefited too.

Tullow has a Tesco and Kilkenny doesn't. That's mad.

Look, the thing that bothers me is how quickly people forget what happens when ze Germans drop one of their 'supermarkets' in your town. When Aldi came here 10 years ago, the maw-mouths of the town said it would be great, but when the local grocery stores got ran out of business, the same mouths were bawling about Aldi running them out of town.
    And these exact same people are saying the same things about Lidl, using Connollys Supervalu perceived monopoly as a skewed view on why B'town needs another glorified cash-and-carry.
    Look at our esteemed Councillors hanging around the Lidl site looking for something to latch onto for likes and clicks, whinging about overhanging trees and wonky footpaths, but not a word about the millions of euros taken out of the local economy by Aldi and now Lidl are here to get their slice.
    You could say this about any small to medium sized town in Carlow or Tullow, with it's 4 supermarkets on top of each other, but this is how it is.
    Sorry about the rant, but this fcuking town does my head in sometimes.

• Advertisement

Look, the thing that bothers me is how quickly people forget what happens when ze Germans drop one of their 'supermarkets' in your town. When Aldi came here 10 years ago, the maw-mouths of the town said it would be great, but when the local grocery stores got ran out of business, the same mouths were bawling about Aldi running them out of town.
    And these exact same people are saying the same things about Lidl, using Connollys Supervalu perceived monopoly as a skewed view on why B'town needs another glorified cash-and-carry.
    Look at our esteemed Councillors hanging around the Lidl site looking for something to latch onto for likes and clicks, whinging about overhanging trees and wonky footpaths, but not a word about the millions of euros taken out of the local economy by Aldi and now Lidl are here to get their slice.
    You could say this about any small to medium sized town in Carlow or Tullow, with it's 4 supermarkets on top of each other, but this is how it is.
    Sorry about the rant, but this fcuking town does my head in sometimes.

This is not a go at you personally but what's your solution, ban Aldi/Lidl or any new supermarkets from opening and live in the past?

As Bob Dylan sang "The times, they are a changin".

BattleCorp wrote: »
    This is not a go at you personally but what's your solution, ban Aldi/Lidl or any new supermarkets from opening and live in the past?

As Bob Dylan sang "The times, they are a changin".

I have no solutions, I didn't object or voice concerns locally, there's no point.
    I just needed a rant.

I have no solutions, I didn't object or voice concerns locally, there's no point.
    I just needed a rant.

I don't blame you needing to vent. Everyone is getting very fcuked up of these lockdowns etc.

The business I work for supplies a lot of small shops so we often take a hit when an Aldi/Lidl or other big supermarket moves into a town.

But you can't hold back the tide. Small shops either have to be in a very very convenient location or else they are going to struggle and things are going to get harder and harder for them going forward. I see farming going the same way. Small farms won't be able to provide a living and you'll have more and more farms amalgamating to make a big farm as it's the only viable future.

And now for some science fiction................I know this is probably yonks away (20 years +) but I think food shops will eventually become a thing of the past. People will be 3d printing their food at home in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

What? It's a bare shell right now.
    It won't be openeduntil the summer at least, they tried to build it on the cheap and their main contractors have made so many ****ups building it so far.
    Our local Sinn Fein bawler is in the Nationalist this week crying about footpaths around the site.

I haven't been down that road for 6 months now, but a friend who was said much the same as you to me yesterday - "it's just a shell and there's nobody working inside it".
    What kicked it off was when I heard about their new customer service line on WhatsApp at +353 1 421 2300, I just thought I'd try it out:

[09:13, 11/02/2021] theoleary: Let's give this a try! Hey LIDL - any news on when your store in Bagnalstown, Co Carlow will open? Thanks,

[09:13, 11/02/2021] Lidl WhatsApp: Thank you for getting in touch! A member of our Customer Support team will be with you as quickly as possible 😄
    [09:20, 11/02/2021] Lidl WhatsApp: Hi! You're chatting with Sarah😀 The store is due to open on the 18.02.21

But maybe she's working off some old target date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

And just to wrap this up, I was completely wrong, or I was misled, LIDL did not open on 12th!
    I contacted LIDL Customer Service on 12th and they just said their plans had been affected by COVID-19. So I saved myself a pointless trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Opening next Thursday the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Their marketing people need a map.
    They did a leaflet drop in Carlow town.
    I can't imagine many people driving halfway across the county to visit a Lidl though I could be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

mneylon wrote: »
    Their marketing people need a map.
    They did a leaflet drop in Carlow town.
    I can't imagine many people driving halfway across the county to visit a Lidl though I could be wrong?

Carlow to Bagenalstown is hardly half way across the county now is it?

Probably be quicker going tot he one in Bagenalstown than fighting through traffic and then the near impossible job of getting out of the carpark onto the Tullow road.

It's finally here, some 13 years after it was originally mooted.
    There was a queue when it opened and a gaggle of Mammy hens were clucking and pecking outside it which means it has the local seal of approval.
    They were cute enough to sponsor the local ladies GAA team. That's their target demographic, the wimmen of the town.

Incidentally, this little town of mine is slowly dragging itself out of the mire again.
    An icecream parlour, coffeeshop, hairdresser, pharmacy and revamped bar and restaurant (Estoria) all opened recently.

So yeah, fcuk off, we're full.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lidl don’t just sponsor local Ladies GAA, they support nationally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Carlow to Bagenalstown is hardly half way across the county now is it?
    It's a 20 km drive each way

It's been 2 weeks and the local consensus seems to be that it's cleaner than Aldi and cheaper than Supervalu.
    So yeah.

Advertisement