Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Light warm trousers

Options
  • 02-01-2021 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Was wondering if there's such thing as fairly light trousers for walking that are also fairly warm and keep wind out or is the only option to go for something heavier?

Any recommendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Under armour golf trousers, winter ones (there is a few options). Light, warm, very comfortable and great quality.
    Try mcguirks, quite likely they will have offers on and you could pick a pair for less than 40 bucks.

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

Anything not made of cotton. And no denim

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Columbia Passo Alto would fit the bill. I've worn them walking, hiking and jogging. Light, comfy, injected with science, decent pockets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

tphase wrote: »
    I got a pair of these Salewa pants in TKMaxx a while back that I use for hillwalking. I find them warm enough for the current weather, been wearing them up the hills for the past few days. If it got colder I'd put on an thermal layer underneath or rainpants on top
    Think I got them for less than €50
    50 was a steal.

Something like the Montane Super Terra would be similar I think. Hard-wearing, reinforced, you wouldn't wear them skiing in the Alps but they are good for most Irish winter weather.

I'm not sure what the OP's definition of "fairly light" is - I wouldn't wear them in Summer, but at this time of the year they are great.

You can also get fleece-lined hiking trousers, but unless you really ran cold I think most people would find them too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've used the same pair of Columbia lightweight hiking trousers that can unzip the legs to become shorts in hot weather. I've rarely used that option in Ireland, but often abroad.
    I also carry a basic Craghopper waterproof trousers that packs into a small pouch that will also do the job for strong wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

hmmm wrote: »
    50 was a steal.

Something like the Montane Super Terra would be similar I think. Hard-wearing, reinforced, you wouldn't wear them skiing in the Alps but they are good for most Irish winter weather.

I'm not sure what the OP's definition of "fairly light" is - I wouldn't wear them in Summer, but at this time of the year they are great.

You can also get fleece-lined hiking trousers, but unless you really ran cold I think most people would find them too hot.

Cheers for that

I went with the Montane Super Terra. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone for their recommendations

Advertisement