Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do people find horse shares? (And is that what I need?)

• 23-09-2020 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm in county Limerick, the Patrickswell area. I am originally from Russia, and while I'm in Ireland for over ten years, I definitely don't have enough of a real life social network sometimes :)

I got "into horses" as an adult and was getting lessons for a couple of years now, along with my son (currently 9). We're both confident in the trot, starting to canter, did a bit of jumping but don't really like that.

I'd like to progress beyond just lessons, to build a relationship with a particular horse, to do some care work (and get to know how to do it!), to learn to work with the horse "on the ground" too.

When I looked into getting a horse, things seemed rather bleak on the upkeep side. I don't own any land, and livery at a yard costs extortionate money (over 100 Euro a week). Some people mention renting an acre or two, but I'm not sure how to find any, or whether it's a good idea to build a run-in shelter on rented land; besides, I don't really have the experience necessary for full-time care of a horse on a grass patch, nor a clear way to gain it.

The care education courses I could find seem to be aimed at those seeking to enter the profession and the yards that I know just don't teach anything that is not riding, not to adults at least.

So I am thinking a horse share would be a good way to progress, except I have no idea where to find that either. And I'm kinda in horse country - there are horses seen around, and while some are obviously TBs related to the racecourse, others are not. Maybe I should be talking to the owners but I don't know how to start that talk.

Now, I'm 90 kg so would need a rather big horse if I could ride. However, I would even be open to a share of a smaller horse, so my son could ride it and I could get practice in horse care and in ground training. After all, I do still need the lessons, so I get some riding anyway - it's the other things that I miss entirely.

(Ideally I'd get into *driving* too, with a buggy - but this is unpopular outside a rather insular community, so finding a teacher might be hard, let alone a horse share with this option. There seems to be a trainer in Cahir, from what I heard).

So how do I go about this, or what else should I be doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can you put an ad up where you are getting lessons? The AIRC deal with adults of all standards, if there was a riding club near you, it might be worth joining, if there is the option of using a school horse. AIRC do horsemanship exams, as do the BHS

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MichaelR

The place where I get lessons is offering me a "horse rental" for 350 Euro a month instead; it basically means I get priority access to a selected horse at any time, though they can use it for lessons when I'm not there.

I am not sure how to find a riding club apart from schools? The nearest school is Clarina. I don't go there because they are quite overbooked. Perhaps I should ask them if they would allow me to post an ad looking for a horse share but would such a request be seen as reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

there is a facebook horses for lease / share dublin maybe join it and find a limerick connection

Advertisement