Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Guitar Vs. Building a Guitar

• 14-08-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

It always becomes a debatable topic when you compare building a guitar or buying a guitar. Actually, my brother is willing to invest in building a guitar, and I am totally against it. I think as a beginner, you shouldn't risk money based on some online instructional stuff.

Yes, he found several sources like the following ones to build guitar and select guitar kit. He is probably willing to make an acoustic guitar.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Building-an-Acoustic-Guitar/

https://www.happynewguitarday.com/diy-guitar-kit/#Build_Own_Acoustic_Guitar_Kit

Do you think he is making the right decision? Or it is just a waste of time and money. All in all, we are confused and little curious about his investment. Because he is going to spend all of his saving that he earned via his freelance earning. He is only 18 years old. But yes, he is good at playing acoustic guitars and have good knowledge of guitar gears as well.

I would be thankful if you share some more sources and suggestions to build guitar. (If he insist to build his own as compared of buying a new one)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you're building a guitar from scratch, and you're lucky enough to have all the tools and jigs required, you're still not going to come close to the quality of a low to mid priced instrument. Taking frets as a simple example - getting good at leveling, crowning, and dressing frets well takes a long time to perfect. Factories can do it quickly and to a high standard because they have folks who have been doing it for years, and jigs set up to help them. Additionally, kit guitars are generally low quality too, so even if your brother did everything perfectly, he'll still be left with a guitar made of low quality materials.

I'm not suggesting that making guitars is a bad idea, and I'd love if he proved me wrong, but if it was my money, and I wanted an instrument to play, I'd be buying rather than building.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

feylya wrote: »

I'm not suggesting that making guitars is a bad idea, and I'd love if he proved me wrong, but if it was my money, and I wanted an instrument to play, I'd be buying rather than building.

I am suggesting the same but I don't know why this new generation wants to try every new experiment. When guitar kits would be low quality ones then how we can expect he will make a perfect piece.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If he wants to spend his money to build an instrument, I guess there's no talking him out of it. I remember being 18...

For resources, Project Guitar has always been great http://www.projectguitar.com/

feylya wrote: »
    If he wants to spend his money to build an instrument, I guess there's no talking him out of it. I remember being 18...

For resources, Project Guitar has always been great http://www.projectguitar.com/

Thanks. Its tutorials section is very detailed. I was search on the web but didn't find any source like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I dont see any problem with a DIY guitar, just dont expect it will be perfect or even playable on the first go. These things take practise but I think it would be a great way to really get to know the ins and outs of how a guitar works.

I like to make guitar pedals now & then from kits- I can buy pedals for far less money but I just enjoy making them. Im still sh1t at it but its fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I've built 90.

#14 was worth keeping (and I still have it).

If he has the money to burn, let him have his fun.

If he's a beginner and wants to actually learn to PLAY?

I would advise to spend the same amount on a ready made guitar!

I've built 90.

#14 was worth keeping (and I still have it).

If he has the money to burn, let him have his fun.

If he's a beginner and wants to actually learn to PLAY?

I would advise to spend the same amount on a ready made guitar!

You mean to say only 14 from 90 were worth keeping :eek: I'm sure he shouldn't waste his money on this experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

You mean to say only 14 from 90 were worth keeping :eek: I'm sure he shouldn't waste his money on this experiment.

I think he meant that only one out of 90 (the 14th attempt) was worth keeping.

There have been a few articles in guitar mags lately about kit guitars (usually Tele-style electrics), but even those seem more hassle than they're worth once you upgrade and work out the kinks to make it decent..

And even buying the tools to try to make your own from scratch would be likely to cost more than a decent budget guitar.

Also, there's a huge difference between slotting together a pre-fab kit electric and building an acoustic from scratch.

To be honest, if he doesn't already know what's involved, he's not ready to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Anyone in my circle who has "built" their guitar usually starts with the body, neck etc from proven old guitars and upgrades the musical hardware to something to their own taste before customising the paint / tuners etc. Only one person attempted to build from scratch and actually succeeded (using an old piece of bog oak). It looked beautiful, played like a banshee but weighed a ton. However, he is a professional musician and had the time and dedication to focus on it. Even at that, he never tried to build a second due to the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

no, number 14 was worth keeping. I sold a load. building electrics is a lot easier, acoustics are a whole other world of finesse.

finishing is the hardest bit. it could end up playing like something really special, but up close, still look like it was made in a shed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement