Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

• 11-04-2020 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1249392633430097920

Consistently in double figures over the last few days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Please post all Kerry related Covid-19 in this thread. Please keep it civil and respectful. MOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Sweden's deaths 919

Add to that they were testing only health care workers and people admitted to hospital.... numbers were a lot higher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sweden's deaths 919

Add to that they were testing only health care workers and people admitted to hospital.... numbers were a lot higher

so are our own and probably every other country's

so are our own and probably every other country's

You'll have to learn to read what's written I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You'll have to learn to read what's written I'm afraid

I don't think anyone's numbers are correct, uk are only testing in hospitals also, what's with the personal attacks and general crabbiness ?

I don't think anyone's numbers are correct, uk are only testing in hospitals also, what's with the personal attacks and general crabbiness ?

I'm afraid your inability to grasp the difference between testing procedures in Ireland & Sweden is not my problem...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thread seems to be a bit jumbled up as I moved posts from Tralee thread. Apologies if its confusing. MOD

In word on crowds from up the country descending on holiday homes in the Kingdom over the weekend?

My mother was saying she heard some rumblings.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Certainly the Kerry infection rates are rising and are ahead of any pro rata rate with the rest of the country. However when it comes to deaths its the Dublin Region that is getting hammered.

7 cases today, which is the lowest increase for some time:

http://traleetoday.ie/there-are-226-confirmed-covid-19-cases-in-kerry/

Interesting map of Covid cases released by HSE to journalists - when you expand the Kerry section, it's clear there have been cases in virtually every parish:

https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1250438838918344705

Interesting map of Covid cases released by HSE to journalists - when you expand the Kerry section, it's clear there have been cases in virtually every parish:

https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1250438838918344705

Looks like a lot in Tralee or surrounding areas of the town! Would be interesting to see more of a breakdown of the county.

The Kerryman have a closer look at the cases in Kerry. Definitely a big cluster of cases in the Tralee area & surrounds

https://www.facebook.com/kerryman.official/photos/a.635053849847541/3081800188506216/?type=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Looks like a lot in Tralee or surrounding areas of the town! Would be interesting to see more of a breakdown of the county.

I believe that is the breakdown. It goes to show that social distance is working. Alot in Tralee as you say but you need to take into account the population there.
    Did you see the twitter with all of Ireland? Dublin is infested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭wonga77

I wonder how accurate it really is? Seems unlikely that there would be so few cases from Killorglin all the ways to Sneem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

wonga77 wrote: »
    I wonder how accurate it really is? Seems unlikely that there would be so few cases from Killorglin all the ways to Sneem
    Not an expert but i'd expect to see less cases in less densely populated areas and areas which wouldn't have as much traffic in from outside the area.

Would anyone have a link to the source of that twitter/kerryman image?

Expect to see a spike in numbers next week after the tests come back from the Easter weekend.
    May bank holiday coming up in a few weeks....and unless people start behaving themselves...we will most likely still be in lockdown come the June bank holiday.

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Not an expert but i'd expect to see less cases in less densely populated areas and areas which wouldn't have as much traffic in from outside the area.

Would anyone have a link to the source of that twitter/kerryman image?

Apparently its from the HSE. I don't have a link, but its probably online somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Podge201 wrote: »
    I believe that is the breakdown. It goes to show that social distance is working. Alot in Tralee as you say but you need to take into account the population there.
    Did you see the twitter with all of Ireland? Dublin is infested.

Hardly anything in Killarney but Tralee looks like COVID 19 central. Certainly more than other larger urbans like Waterford and Limerick.

More information on the Kerry locations on Radio Kerry link.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/greater-tralee-killarney-areas-worst-hit-covid-19/

Is there anywhere that it tells when these tests took place roughly or are we just assuming its 2 weeks? I read about the lady on the front of the kerryman that's waiting almost 4 weeks, that's a bit farcical and not very fair on her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

wonga77 wrote: »

Why would you expect low populated areas with low density to have more cases? It makes sense that Tralee and Killarney would have the most as they are larger population centres, hence more risk of spread. Some other areas like Fenit etc that seem to have a lot could have been unlucky with getting hit with infections before the lockdown took effect, the same way Lombardy in Italy was unlucky to be the first area hit.

All it would/ could take was a couple of people flying back from a ski trip in Italy or Austria back in early March for example, spreading it unknowingly to others in the village they happen to live in Kerry that would possibly explain why that village got more and another village with similar population got less or none.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Why would you expect low populated areas with low density to have more cases? It makes sense that Tralee and Killarney would have the most as they are larger population centres, hence more risk of spread. Some other areas like Fenit etc that seem to have a lot could have been unlucky with getting hit with infections before the lockdown took effect, the same way Lombardy in Italy was unlucky to be the first area hit.

All it would/ could take was a couple of people flying back from a ski trip in Italy or Austria back in early March for example, spreading it unknowingly to others in the village they happen to live in Kerry that would possibly explain why that village got more and another village with similar population got less or none.

Not to have more cases but to have a few I meant. I live in south Kerry, I find it hard to believe that there's none although it would be great it its true. Despite the fact that its low populated you still had people gathering in shops and stuff and not taking the lockdown all that seriously at the start.
    Killorglin to Sneem is 90km roughly, a fairly massive chunk to be staying clear.

All the same the attitude is good around here, the elderly arent rising out at all and you rarely see kids hanging around the place like you usually would

An updated map of Kerry from Radio Kerry:

'New COVID-19 cases in Kerry, Munster and Republic of Ireland, as per the HSE's latest data.
    Grey dots are pre-reported cases and red dots are the latest confirmed cases (as per 14 April).'

94134362_10157707350095379_7084496216280530944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQmQBkoMLZgS35hquC1C7_S4pCw2hNuq-NM6sT71pdX8PMLbS2Calb7bKjbnxU6amZA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=47ba468d45e852bd43eb26b0da13c1d8&oe=5EBDE9ED

On first glance, thankfully appears to be fewer reds this time?

• Advertisement

On first glance, thankfully appears to be fewer reds this time?

I think the HSE changed it to show the reds as the most recent, and the grey dots are the previous ones from weeks ago.

Advertisement