Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwback Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Csalem

We are going back to 2005 this week to see RA 190 on the 13B. This route started in November 1997 and connected the City Centre with Palmerstom Park via Ranelagh and Beechwood Avenue. Palmerston Park in Dartry had been the terminus of a number of routes over the years - route 12 until 1985 and route 13 until 1997. During a revision of Ballymun services in 1997, the 13 was cut back to Merrion Square, and the 13B was introduced to replace the 13 on the southside. Initially the 13B was an all-day service but in 2000 it was cutback to a predominately peak-hour service. In 2005 the route was removed from the network, less than a week after this photograph was taken. The Luas Green Line had opened in 2004 and served most of the places that the 13B went through, but did so much more frequently. That wasn't the end of Palmerston Park though as it became the terminus for the 128, 140 and 142 at various points over the following years. The 140 is only the route that terminates there now in 2020.
    RA 190 was delivered new in 1994 and was withdrawn in 2006. It subsequently went on to have a further career in the United Kingdom. 13/08/2005

50222206423_b0a061a58d_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (240) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

A trip back twenty-five years this week to 1995, and a collection of City Imps on College Street. ML 28 is seen parked at the 155 terminus, while behind it there is an Imp on the 83 and another also on the 155. Route 155 went over to City Imp in 1994 when it replaced the former Dublin Bus route 55. The 155 ran from the city centre to Limekiln Farm in Greenhills, and was operated from Donnybrook Garage, whereas the 55 was a Ringsend Garage route. The route operated a high-frequency of every 10 minutes for most of the day. It only lasted until around 2001 when it was replaced by a rerouted 19A on the southside. The 155 number reappeared on the network again in 2019, but this time running between Bray and Ballymun.
    ML 28 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1995. It was one of 35 members of the class delivered between 1994 and 1995. Most members of the class were withdrawn from around 2001 onwards, when Dublin Bus started to move away from minibuses. Some of the ML minibuses were sold on to other operators.
    This location on College Street is now the Trinity tram stop on the Luas Greeen Line. The building behind the 83 has been demolished but "The Irish Yeast Co." shop is still there. 19/08/1995

50248801077_e0a7472a29_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (241) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Still one in Donnybrook which was used as the ticket bus, no seats in rear and cats live in it now, it's been moved to the very rear now behind a pump house and it just fits..... Now I can recall if it is a me or ml

Still one in Donnybrook which was used as the ticket bus, no seats in rear and cats live in it now, it's been moved to the very rear now behind a pump house and it just fits..... Now I can recall if it is a me or ml

It is ME 22 I think:
    https://flic.kr/p/ETsAZp

Csalem wrote: »
    It is ME 22 I think:
    https://flic.kr/p/ETsAZp

Yes that's her, it's further up the back now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

We are going back to 2005 this week to see RA 190 on the 13B. This route started in November 1997 and connected the City Centre with Palmerstom Park via Ranelagh and Beechwood Avenue. Palmerston Park in Dartry had been the terminus of a number of routes over the years - route 12 until 1985 and route 13 until 1997. During a revision of Ballymun services in 1997, the 13 was cut back to Merrion Square, and the 13B was introduced to replace the 13 on the southside. Initially the 13B was an all-day service but in 2000 it was cutback to a predominately peak-hour service. In 2005 the route was removed from the network, less than a week after this photograph was taken. The Luas Green Line had opened in 2004 and served most of the places that the 13B went through, but did so much more frequently. That wasn't the end of Palmerston Park though as it became the terminus for the 128, 140 and 142 at various points over the following years. The 140 is only the route that terminates there now in 2020.
    RA 190 was delivered new in 1994 and was withdrawn in 2006. It subsequently went on to have a further career in the United Kingdom. 13/08/2005

50222206423_b0a061a58d_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (240) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure that's the 'Weightwatchers' bus that lost its entire roof under a low bridge in Bray back in February 2000, due to a driver error (forgot he was driving a bus, if I remember correctly). Must have been a nice bus to drive, if it was possible to confuse it with your own car. I wonder if the bus is still around. The driver was still around until very recently.

.anon. wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's the 'Weightwatchers' bus that lost its entire roof under a low bridge in Bray back in February 2000, due to a driver error (forgot he was driving a bus, if I remember correctly). Must have been a nice bus to drive, if it was possible to confuse it with your own car. I wonder if the bus is still around. The driver was still around until very recently.

They were use to driving the imp singles, he drove along as normal just he was in a double that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

They were use to driving the imp singles, he drove along as normal just he was in a double that day

I don't recall that particular driver ever being on the imp routes. An easy mistake to make in Bray though, with so many low bridges. I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often, especially when Go Ahead arrived on the scene with many drivers not being familiar with the area.

This picture from late 2015 was the most recent one I found of RA 190 in the UK:
    https://flic.kr/p/yZNX5H

This picture from late 2015 was the most recent one I found of RA 190 in the UK:

Done my test in one... Then 1995 was the oldest I drove in service, some had a reverse switch you had to press extra to the actual reverse switch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

.anon. wrote: »
    I don't recall that particular driver ever being on the imp routes. An easy mistake to make in Bray though, with so many low bridges. I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often, especially when Go Ahead arrived on the scene with many drivers not being familiar with the area.

Thought some of the Bray locals used to have imps. There were ADs on the 184 and 185 so he might have been confused with one of those.

What's used for now I wonder? Surprised they haven't sold it for scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

Looks like its roof had been in the wars again.

It got its replacement roof from a recently-converted tours RH.

GT89 wrote: »
    What's used for now I wonder? Surprised they haven't sold it for scrap.

Nothing whatsoever, it's sitting up years, last movement was pushed with fork lift....
    It's never going to see the road again....

Nothing whatsoever, it's sitting up years, last movement was pushed with fork lift....
    It's never going to see the road again....

I seen it from the upper deck of bus when passing Donnybrook garage. Usually notice it when all the buses are out assumed they were using it as some kind of storage unit can't understand any reason why they'd keep without any use and not just sell it for scrap and I doubt there's any parts that can be used again. Seems odd.

I seen it from the upper deck of bus when passing Donnybrook garage. Usually notice it when all the buses are out assumed they were using it as some kind of storage unit can't understand any reason why they'd keep without any use and not just sell it for scrap and I doubt there's any parts that can be used again. Seems odd.

I remember they use to have a bus graveyard there, as you would pass that section, it was raised and many a wreck would be dumped there.
    Yeah it's odd alright as last thing it done was ticket sales for concerts or nitelink and a bus pull where we pulled it to city centre for charity.

I remember they use to have a bus graveyard there, as you would pass that section, it was raised and many a wreck would be dumped there.
    Yeah it's odd alright as last thing it done was ticket sales for concerts or nitelink and a bus pull where we pulled it to city centre for charity.

Thought they used a WV for that bus pull once remember seeing pictures of it. Actually coming to think about when I was in primary school I remember a city imp bus came to the school yard to be filled with christmas shoe boxes for the kids in Africa would have been around 2004-2005ish might have actually been that bus remember the driver being very friendly.

Thought they used a WV for that bus pull once remember seeing pictures of it. Actually coming to think about when I was in primary school I remember a city imp bus came to the school yard to be filled with christmas shoe boxes for the kids in Africa would have been around 2004-2005ish might have actually been that bus remember the driver being very friendly.

Yes that was a wv collecting the boxes.
    It would have most likely been off 123 route originally, that where Donnybrook got the ones to run 44b all burnt out and not safe at all to be on the road.

It was Me 2* that we pulled. I'll have to remember to take a photo of the photo.

21 or 22 of us pulled it. Was tough going.

Going back eleven years this week to a special bus in the history of Dublin Bus. WH 1 is seen on O'Connell Street with a service on route 16 to Ballinteer. WH 1 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2008 and was a diesel / electric hybrid purchased to demonstrate alternative engine technology. The bus was based in Summerhill garage and predominately operated on the cross-city route 16 between Santry and Ballinteer. In 2010 the bus returned to the Wrights factory in Ballymena for some work for a number of months, but when it returned it stayed in service with Dublin Bus until the end of January 2012. It was then sold to Ensign Bus in London and had a brief career, being destroyed by fire in June 2012.
    Unfortunately the hybrid trial did not lead to any orders but in 2019 a new trial started within Dublin Bus. This trial involves 9 buses and one of the examples from Wrights has been given the fleet number WH 1. The National Transport Authority expects to received the first of 100 hybrids from Alexander Dennis in 2020, with this fleet being split between Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann.
    The current route 16 can be traced back to 1955 when it ran between Santry and Grange Road. The same year the 16A started between Beaumont and Lower Rathfarnham. In 2012 the two routes were combined into a new 16 that ran from Dublin Airport to Ballinteer. 27/08/2009

50275496176_938d914c01_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (242) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are going back a few short seven years to 2013, with AX 638 passing through Stillorgan village. The Old Dublin Road in Stillorgan, as the name suggests, was once the main road from the south-east into the city. Therefore Stillorgan village was very well served by buses on this busy corridor. In the 1970s the Stillorgan Bypass was opened but the buses still turned off the new road to serve the village. This included routes like the high-frequency 46A. By the late 1990s this was having an impact on the services. Buses would have stop at traffic lights to get off and back on the Stillorgan dual-carriageway in order to the serve the village. This was also undoing the good-work the Quality Bus Corridors had done to speed up the bus services on this corridor. From around 2000/2001 on some services did not serve the village in peak times. Within a decade no 46A served the village, nor did the 145 to Bray. Today, the 47 is the only all-day route to use this road, about once an hour in each direction. The 75 also serves Stillorgan, but uses the Kilmacud Road. This road has probably seen one of the largest drops in bus services over the years in Dublin city.
    In the background is Stillorgan Shopping Centre. The first shopping centre in Dublin opened here in 1966. In more recent years it has received a renovation.
    The 47 has had a slightly complicated history. It has no connection to the route that served Tibradden up until the 1990s. This route started in 2008, initially between Belarmine and Donnybrook and provided a connection to the Luas tram at Sandyford. It was later extended into the city centre in 2010, going via Nutley Lane and Mount Street instead of Donnybrook. In 2012 it was rerouted again to go via Nutley Lane, Sandymount and Ringsend to the City Centre (partially as a replacement for the withdrawn route 3.
    AX 638 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 2006 and is still in service today. It has spent all its working life in Donnybrook Garage. 03/09/2013

50302352342_6767ef619b_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (243) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Slightly unusual Throwback Thursday this week, and one I debated about posting. When I started this series in 2016 all public service obligation bus services in Dublin were operated by Dublin Bus, and prior to that it was CIE, from whom Dublin Bus was formed from in 1987. In 2015 the National Transport Authority sought expressions of interest to operate some of the routes around the city. During 2016 this became an official tender. Dublin Bus applied to retain and operate the routes, as did other bus companies. The winner which was announced in 2017 was Go-Ahead, a transport company that operates bus and rail services around the world. 23 routes transferred from Dublin Bus to Go-Ahead Ireland and one new route started, the 175.
    The 175 commenced running on September 9th 2018. The route takes it from Citywest to UCD Belfield via Tallaght, Ballinteer and Dundrum, and back again. It provides some relief to the busy route 75 while also providing new connections between some of the southern suburbs in Dublin.
    11572 is seen passing through the bus gate in Tallaght Village. This was one of 24 Wright Geminis bought specifically for the tendered routes, Another 49 members of the Dublin Bus SG class transferred over, as well as 12 GT class buses. In 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the need to provide extra services for school children, 7 AX buses also went to Go-Ahead Ireland.
    So, the bus landscape has changed a bit in the four years since Throwback Thursday started. The Go-Ahead Ireland contract is for five years. With it starting in 2018, there is a chance another operator will be running this route in four years time. Of course, if Bus Connects happens, then none of the current bus routes could be around in four years. We live in interesting times...
    10/09/2018

50326829503_78124fb53d_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (244) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

A short trip back ten years to a scene that has changed a lot beneath the service. RV 636 is seen on O'Connell Street heading south to Drimnagh with a service on route 121. The 121 started in 1997 as a City Imp route. Initially this. mini-bus route ran from Parnell Square to Drimnagh Road (outside Crumlin Hospital) via The Liberties and Clogher Road. Within a year it was extended north to Cabra via Berkeley Road and Dowth Avenue. In 1999 the Cabra terminus was moved from Fassaugh Road to Ratoath Road. In the early-2000s the route was converted from mini-bus to double-decker operation, losing the City Imp brand in the process. However in 2011 the route was abolished under Network Direct, with the 150 taking over most of its southside routing and the 120/122 continuing to serve Cabra.
    RV 626 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1999 and was withdrawn in October 2012 It then moved to the UK and most recently was with Priory Coaches.
    In the background is a fellow ex-Dublin Olympian. It was doing the City Sightseeing tour for Dualway's. In 2019 the CitySightseeing franchise moved to Extreme Ireland, and Dualway's sold their tour fleet to Big Bus.
    RV 626 has an ad for Corona Extra. 2010 was a time when Corona brought to mind a beverage and not a global pandemic. 18/09/2010

50352322093_38cc19f27a_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (245) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A short trip back ten years to a scene that has changed a lot beneath the service. RV 636 is seen on O'Connell Street heading south to Drimnagh with a service on route 121.

50352322093_38cc19f27a_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (245) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

The 121 is unique as it saw almost every model of bus in the fleet turning up on it over it's relatively short history. From the various M's that were intended especially to run on it's narrow streets and estates through to the Leyland Olympians and the reliable AV's. The P's that had once been on the 39A also did turns on the 121 as did the EV's from 2009 onwards. Even the KD's made the route before they were called to retirement while story goes that a trl axle even ended up on it one day; pictures of it would be very welcome :pac:

The 121 is unique as it saw almost every model of bus in the fleet turning up on it over it's relatively short history. From the various M's that were intended especially to run on it's narrow streets and estates through to the Leyland Olympians and the reliable AV's. The P's that had once been on the 39A also did turns on the 121 as did the EV's from 2009 onwards. Even the KD's made the route before they were called to retirement while story goes that a trl axle even ended up on it one day; pictures of it would be very welcome :pac:

Pictures of VT 42 on 121 here:
    http://dublinbusstuff.com/Routes121.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pictures of VT 42 on 121 here:
    http://dublinbusstuff.com/Routes121.html

Like the 46A, you never let us down :)

Sadly I wasn't able to take a picture of it myself that day. I heard it was out on the road but it was a Sunday and would not have seen it in time. The VTs appear on some odd routes at times. One of the morning 45 from Oldcourt to City Centre was a VT due to school children travelling on service. A morning 116 to Parnell or Mountjoy Square usually did a southbound working on the 11 to Sandyford. And I am pretty sure during the Malahide bridge collapse, one did a return working to Dublin from Balbriggan on the 33 after arriving on a 33X because the rostered bus broke down.

And I did once get this shot but sadly the bus was not in service:
    22548738838_b4f84f087d_c.jpgA Big One on the "1"! by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Like the 46A, you never let us down :)

Speaking of the 46A and odd allocations... there was an EV heading down the north circular as a 46A the other day. Saw it again on the Stillorgan road later. Something I've never seen before. Had to have been a mistake..

Contrails wrote: »
    Speaking of the 46A and odd allocations... there was an EV heading down the north circular as a 46A the other day. Saw it again on the Stillorgan road later. Something I've never seen before. Had to have been a mistake..

Happens from time to time

Oddest allocation I have seen on the 46A :D

18055307678_70750faf86_c.jpgA Taste of Home - VWD 9 on the 46A by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Oddest allocation I have seen on the 46A :D

18055307678_70750faf86_c.jpgA Taste of Home - VWD 9 on the 46A by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Both Douglas and Donnybrook are southeastern suburbs of Cork, in the territory of bus eireann.

Advertisement