Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

endacl wrote: »
    Minister of Justice for a day, and money no object. What one thing would you change about the place you work?

Interesting question and I've never really thought about it before. I'll have to come back to this! I'd see to it that every offender has either given back to the community in someway or has bettered himself academically or training wise. No point in being in a box for 5 years and learning nothing. How would you change? What's the incentive?

Have you ever seen anyone playing pool in the showers?

Never heard of anything going down in the shower... so to speak.

eviltwin wrote: »
    In your opinion does prison work? What percentage of prisoners would be offenders ?

All of them ;)

Repeat offenders, I would say that roughly 1/3 come back at some stage. Prison historically hasn't worked. Hopefully that's gonna change but training and education should be central to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I'm really enjoying this thread. Thanks a mill for taking the time to inform us all. It's fascinating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caldogs

I've heard there was some industrial action in the prisons recently. what was that about and how did it impact your work ?

• Advertisement

Do you have to limit your social life because of your profession eg are you always watching over your shoulder when you are out and about?

Nah not really. I've never had a negative experience. I don't treat them like sh*t so I wouldn't worry to any great degree. Touch wood, the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Do inmates generally get picked on depending on if they're considered an easy target to others or is it a bit of to each their own compared to that of the so heard viciousness of American prisons.

A related question to this - would a nice, middle-class, middle-aged bloke survive in prison? I often think that if something desperate ever happened and I ended up in prison, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of surviving. Do these peopel get victimised? How do some of the high-profile murderers get on (without naming names)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Would you and prison staff in general be in favour of the death penalty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Omackeral wrote: »
    Before anyone asks about rapists or pedophiles, I don't deal with them. Sorry if that's a bit vague.

Curious about this. Is this due to the prison you're in or do some offenders get seperate facilties or prison officers or whatever.

I will be going live on this in about 30 minutes for anyone who is interested. Posting off my phone after work but will be home and ready to go at about 10:30

• Advertisement

Questions from Tar.Aldarion

How are inmates able to get so much contraband into prisons?
    Answered previously.

Do you keep in contact with inmates that have been released since you arrived?
    No. Would be a conflict of interest really. If I saw them out and about I'd exchange pleasantries and say hello and it wouldn't bother me but at the same time maybe he doesn't want to be reminded of his time in there or would be embarrassed.

Did you ever meet an inmate who you thought was innocent of the crime they were put away for?
    I suspect there's a few in there doing sentences for other peoples crimes but they're afraid/too loyal/being compensated and so take the wrap.

Who's the most memorable inmate you can remember?
    Oh man there's been some bonkers ones. One fella was making allegations against staff and when challenged on it his response was ''I'm no fcuking Alligator, Chief.''

Were there ever other officers who abused their power?Do you think the job attracts people who want to be in control at all?
    Or any corruption at all?

Corruption, yes. A few prison officers have been sent down for smuggling contraband in for a price. Theses chaps will do rough jail as inmates won't like them given their profession and staff won't like them given their betrayal. Result is protective custody basically.

Were there any times that you feared for your life?
    For my life, I'd say no. But was in one major riot were serious injury was a distinct possibility. Some staff were hurt actually. Could have easily been me.

Did you have a favorite inmate/make real good friends with one?
    There's a few you buzz off, sure. You'd establish a rapport with them even in some cases. But a friendship is dangerous as you could become compromised. There's some I could definitely be mates with if circumstances were different.

Do you miss any of them in particular? Why if so?
    No. Any of the ones I enjoyed, well I'm happy they're out and wish them well.

What's the worst thing you've seen happen?
    I've seen some very bad cuttings, I mean deep and wide and blood spurting. Nasty.

What's the most memorable turn around you witnessed? From someone who seemed a no hoper to somebody with a few prospects. Or were there people made worse by prison moreso?
    A lad went in on a serious charge. Bit of a gangster in all honesty. Was a major player when he came in. After a while he got stuck into the gym and it consumed him. He went on to do a Fitness Instructor course and Nutritional and Health Sciences. Today he runs a gym and has a great reputation.

What happens if in mates ever tried attacking guards? Do they have imaginative ways to hide weapons?
    Attacks on staff would be less common than attacks on fellow prisoners. If it happens on staff, it's usually reactionary rather than premeditated. Also, escalation of a given situation is where it gets messy. As for imaginitive ways to hide weapons, one fella had a pocket sown into the inside his boxers to store a blade.

If you could change one thing about how the prison you are at is run what would it be?
    I'd like to impose a little bit more of a military style roll call for prisoners. The staff have to do it for managment, I'd like to see the prisoners do it once a day for officers in the morning. Just a small respect thing.

What was the weirdest or most surprising thing you found in an inmate's cell?
    A George Foreman grill.

Do officers get intimated outside work?
    I haven't nor have any of my own pals in there.

Tell me of the inmate you hate most?
    None of them get under my skin to the point where I'd waist hatred on them. Far too much effort there! A few have serious attitude problems though. I don't make an effort with them, just direct orders.

Anybody ever escape?
    Perhaps the most infamous one occured on 31 October 1973 three IRA members escaped from Mountjoy Prison. Earlier that day another IRA member had hijacked a helicopter and forced the pilot to land at the D Wing of Mountjoy Prison where they picked up the three IRA prisoners J.B. O'Hagan, Seamus Twomey and Kevin Mallon.

I have a 20 pack of cigarettes, what can i get for them in prison?
    Washing done for a week by a trustee in the laundry. Probably drugs!

Do any of the inmates have outrageous nicknames?
    Ha yeah they do. Fatpuss, Sixpence, Wheelie-bin to name a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

What's day to day work like? Watching cameras and patrolling? What's the most unusual thing you'd have to do?

Questions from KomradeBishop

Have any prison officers been caught or suspected of smuggling in drugs or other 'contraband'?

Yes. One was caught bringing in heroin a couple of years ago and was handed a custodial sentence. Another was charged with bringing in phones, alcohol and other drugs. A google search will bring up news on this, I don't wanna name names.

-

Are there any kind of prejudiced attitudes from prison officers, towards prisoners? (or even specific groups of prisoners, e.g. travellers, addicts?).

Unfortunately yes. There are a lot of old school staff who would never have dealt with Eastern Europeans or Africans and would see them as beneath your general prisoner. Same with Travellers and addicts. Training now is trying to address these issues so hopefully newer staff will be more tuned in. We also have staff of varying nationalities these days including Nigerian, Chinese etc.

-

If a prisoner is physically violent to a staff member, are they ever retaliated against excessively (more than is needed to restrain them) - or suspected to have been - to dissuade repeat offences or to make an example of them?

The company line is 'using correct control and restraint techniques'. As you can imagine, sometimes this isn't adhered to. Prisoners have avenues of complaints they can make nowadays should they so wish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Do men work in the female prisons and vice-versa? If so is there much hassle from inmates towards staff of the opposite gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

asked already but not sure if it's been answered. what do you call the prisoners is it a number or their name. Thanks for doing this by the way, it's very interesting

Who is the most famous or infamous prisoner you dealt with

I won't name names but many murderers and gang members. Limerick, Dublin. Never Larry Murphy though thankfully!

salmocab wrote: »
    Do you ever peek behind posters on walls, just in case….

Yes actually, that's part of doing a cell search. Usually it's of a scantily clad babe so it's imperative that you are thorough in your examination.

Is there ever sexual tension between either the inmates and/or inmates and prison officers?

I've heard rumours of prison shenanigans but have never seen it. I believe there may have been cases between inmates and staff across the gender divide but again I don't know for certain.

Did you have to get clearance or an okay from your boss or managers etc to do this AMA? How much are you allowed to talk about your work generally?

I had to sign the Official Secrets Act upon joining so basically no names and nothing that compromises security. I didn't ask for permission but I'll stand by everything I post. Prisons are funded and paid for by the people so they have right to know how things work so long as nothing is in jeopardy.

Saipanne wrote: »
    I have a friend in the prison service in london and he told me a horror story about an attack on a man involving heated liquidated sugar and other chemicals to makeshift some acid to throw in a guys face, has anything like that happened in ireland? What was the worst attack you encountered?

Scaldings like that have happened. The sugar basically makes the concoction stick to the face of the victim. Generally reserved for informants and paedophiles. Worst I've ever seen was afella being cut so severely across his cheek that you could see his teeth through the gash.

• Advertisement

Do inmates generally get picked on depending on if they're considered an easy target to others or is it a bit of to each their own compared to that of the so heard viciousness of American prisons.

Bullying does go on I think but it's actually frowned upon by a high percentage of the prison population. They have a warped sense of morality some of these boys! Generally, a quiet unassuming fella just in to do his time will be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

How much of a real impact do you think the opinion of prison officers (I assume you file prisoner behaviour reports etc) has on determining remission/early release or the lack of it? Would overcrowding issues generally outweigh any concerns? Have you seen many prisoners released early who you regarded as a serious threat to the public after spending time with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Do you think sentences are too short?
    What is the solution, build another prison to alieviate overcrowding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fascinating, thanks for contributing!

Questions from Holsten

What is your view on the entire justice system at the moment? Working? Not working?

I don't think prison has historically 'worked'. Sometimes it makes people worse. They'll come in on a 9 month sentence for something small, make dodgy contacts on the inside and then hook up with a greater criminal network outside.

-

What do you think about punishment vs rehabilitation.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. The punishment is the loss of liberty. Want to go the shop for a Choc-Ice?> Too bad, you can't. Wanna hug your child. Same again. So that's a trivial thing and a massive thing but it's enough in itself. Rehabilitation, there's none without education. Upskilling is key. The stigma of being a former prisoner is a massive barrier too. Any agencies who take a chance on ex cons deserve a pat on the back if ot works out.

-

How many re offenders do you see? Percentage wise.

I'd say 30-40% in and around. You also get successive generations. We had a Father and son next door to each other not so long ago.

-

If you could make any drastic changes what would they be?

Water charges for prisoners :P

Luke92 wrote: »
    Do you know Kev? Small fat and bald.

Yeah, he works on B-Wing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Really enjoying this thread, another question, do you come across much prison homebrew?

Are there really a lot of prisoners inside for very minor offences i.e. not paying t.v. licence fine etc.
    I always believed that prison should only be for people who have committed murder, paedophilia, rape etc i.e. violent crime The rest should be made do community work. How do you feel? I also feel that when someone is put inside his wife and children are also sentenced by having to go there to visit, manage without his income and are tarnished by what he has done.

Some great points. First of all, let me state this one for people who give it the moral outrage at the TV license prisoners who come in. They literally come in the gate, get seen by a doctor, and are discharged on Temporary Release (TR) a couple of hours later. They never put that part in the paper though.

I've always said that a Life sentence is a Life Sentence for the guys family too. Many Lifers have children that come up to the prison and that's all they've ever known of Daddy. It's sad. But at the same time the chap who was killed could have had a wife and kids too and they've only got a gravestone to look at, if they can bare it that is.

Community return for non violent offenders is currently enjoying great success. Schools are being painted etc. Good to see. That's giving back IMO and benefits greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Is there a time limit after 7.30 when lights and telly are shut down or can they go all night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

If a new prisoner arrives and decides he cant cope with prison, and basically goes crazy, how do you calm him down or ensure he isn't a risk to himself or others?. Great thread by the way. Real interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement