Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a volunteer with International Men's Health Week

Options
  • 11-06-2018 3:04pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Employee

International Men's Health Week (MHW) runs annually from the Monday before Father's Day to Father's Day itself. This year it will take place from 11th - 17th June 2018. The aims of the week are to: heighten awareness of preventable health problems for males of all ages; support men and boys to engage in healthier lifestyle choices; and encourage the early detection and treatment of health difficulties.

This year, everyone is being asked the question: ‘What’s your small step going to be?’ Find out more about MHW 2018 at: www.mhfi.org/mhw/mhw-2018.html

Finian Murray is a member of the all-Ireland, inter-agency Planning Group for MHW. He is also a Men’s Health Development Officer for the HSE and is on the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI) Board of Trustees.

We contacted this group to run this AMA to coincide with International Men's Health Week (but it is non-commercial). Hopefully it proves insightful and makes you think more about your own or your loved ones' health. If you have any questions, ask away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair play Finian. What are some of the main barriers to men’s health that you come across and how can they be overcome?

Cheers

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in your bedside locker.

Whats the 1 major piece of advise you would give 18 year old you.

• Company Representative Posts: 7 Verified rep I'm a Men's Health Week Volunteer, AMA

The main barriers to men’s health are: men avail of medical services less; delay seeking help when ill and feel they are not permitted to be expressive about illness

• Company Representative Posts: 7 Verified rep I'm a Men's Health Week Volunteer, AMA

Take better care of your teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hi Finian, thanks for doing this AMA.

What are some small steps that you've heard people taking (to provide inspiration for the rest of us!)

As you've said, getting men to avail of services (or even talk about illness) is a barrier. What steps do you think can be taken to change this?

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Thank you for you time, I had not heard of much of what is described in the intro until I saw this AMA.

What is a "Men’s Health Development Officer for the HSE" - is this a role focused on staff within the HSE or to advise on policy to the world at large?

How do you go about promoting men's health?

Where do you get most opposition to your work and where do you find people are most receptive?

Do you find men's health issues are taken less seriously than women's health issues?

What are the biggest men's health issues you come across?

What surprised you most when you took up your current role?

Lots of questions, cheers for taking the time to chat.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Hi Finian, thanks for doing this AMA.

What are some small steps that you've heard people taking (to provide inspiration for the rest of us!)
    Here are some of the steps we recommend to improve your health:
    -Order a softdrink the next time you’re in the pub.
    -Try some fruitor vegetables you’ve never tasted before or think you don’t like.
    -Make at leastone journey by foot or bicycle instead of going by car.
    -If you’re under25 and sexually active, get yourself checked for chlamydia.
    -Stressed out?Walk away from tense situations before you blow up.
    -Get your bloodpressure checked within the next two weeks.
    -Get a friend toquit smoking with you – and get advice about how to stop.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    As you've said, getting men to avail of services (or even talk about illness) is a barrier. What steps do you think can be taken to change this?
    - Find out about the opening hours at your local GP’s surgery.
    -Show a doctor that lump, strange-shaped mole, or rash that’s bothering you
    -If you get backache, don’t let it become a pain inthe ass. Get it sorted.

pawrick wrote: »
    Thank you for you time, I had not heard of much of what is described in the intro until I saw this AMA.

What is a "Men’s Health Development Officer for the HSE" - is this a role focused on staff within the HSE or to advise on policy to the world at large?
    It is another tite for Men's Health Promotion Officer. It is not solely foused on staff within the HSE but on the general male population. Yes, part of the role is to advise on policy.

How do you go about promoting men's health?

The main way we promote men’s health isthrough Men’s Health Week.
    • There is a common logo / image pack whichcan be used by everyone who wishes to raise awareness of MHW. There is also aMHW 2018 poster and postcard. These are important promotional tools - as one ofthe key aims is to let as many people as possible know about the week. Theseare available, free, to anyone who wishes to use them.
    See www.mhfi.org/mhw/mhw-image-pack.html formore details.

Where do you get most opposition to your work and where do you find people are most receptive?
    • We do not get much opposition to our work as even the toughest men see the value in looking after their health
    Do you find men's health issues are taken less seriously than women's health issues?
    • Men themselves are not as proactive about looking after their health as women but we are improving, especially younger men
    What are the biggest men's health issues you come across?
    • Heart problems, cancer, respiratory problems and accidental injuries
    What surprised you most when you took up your current role?
    • The lack of knowledge men had about their bodies
    Lots of questions, cheers for taking the time to chat.
    Thanks for the questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭tritium

What are the most common types of unhealthy behaviors you see men engaging in

Is there a tendency among irish men, in your experience, to cut physical activity once they hit mid thirties?

Do Irish men in your experience pay attention to workplace stress?

What workplace behaviours would you encourage men to start?

Are younger men more knowledgeable in this area or is it across generations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Fair play Finian, Thanks for coming onto Boards.

I would keep upto date with current affairs and read a few newspapers every day, watch/listen to a couple of news shows daily...even watch/listen to the odd bit of bumpf on daytime radio/tv .... the fact that I had never heard about International Mens Health Week until now though, probably shows you clearly have a piece of work on your hands. How come its soo poorly publicised? I am going to make a guess that theres probably an infinitesimally small budget ? and that Men health is nowhere near the top of the HSE list of priorities ? can you comment ?

tritium wrote: »
    What are the most common types of unhealthy behaviors you see men engaging in
    Men’s diets are less healthy than women’s diets with men eating more fried foods and high caloric items and less fruit and vegetables than women. Over two thirds (69.6%) of Irish men are either overweight or obese. Men are more likely than women (11% versus 8%) to drink in excess of the recommended weekly limit (17 standard drinks for men and 11 for women) and to binge drink (38% men and 17% women).

Many men shun traditional interpersonal medical consultations and instead opt for online medicinal products, an increasingly worrying trend given the risk of exposure to potentially harmful counterfeit drugs.

Is there a tendency among irish men, in your experience, to cut physical activity once they hit mid thirties?
    • Only 48% of men engage in some form of regular physical activity
    • Men tend to retire from physical activity altogether as opposed to modifying their activity
    • Those reporting as sedentary almost doubling from 18-29 and 30-39 years
    Do Irish men in your experience pay attention to workplace stress?

I suspect not, but employees should remember that most employers these days want to hear of problems before they lose a valuable employee. Some trade unions also have people specially trained to deal with workplace stress. If your company has a counselling or occupational health service, then use it. They are there to help you, and the service is confidential. Research shows that people who experience work-based stress benefit from these services
    What workplace behaviours would you encourage men to start?

STRESS BUSTERS
    • Work it off - physical activity helps to produce the body’s own ‘happy’ hormones.
    • Get enough sleep to recharge your batteries
    • Eat a variety of foods using the food pyramid
    • Learn to relax
    • Talk about it – or just hang out with friends and family and do something you enjoy!
    Are younger men more knowledgeable in this area or is it across generations?
    I think younger men may be more knowledgeable as a large number go to the gymwhich is a great place to work off stress

Fair play Finian, Thanks for coming onto Boards.

I would keep upto date with current affairs and read a few newspapers every day, watch/listen to a couple of news shows daily...even watch/listen to the odd bit of bumpf on daytime radio/tv .... the fact that I had never heard about International Mens Health Week until now though, probably shows you clearly have a piece of work on your hands. How come its soo poorly publicised? I am going to make a guess that theres probably an infinitesimally small budget ? and that Men health is nowhere near the top of the HSE list of priorities ? can you comment ?

International Men’s Health Week always begins on the Monday before Father's Day and ends on Father's Day itself. The week began at an international level in 2002. This year, it will run from Monday 11th until Sunday 17th June.It is celebrated in many European countries, as well as in the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and a number of other places worldwide.It is coordinated on the island of Ireland by the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI). Each year it is gaining momentum

I was shocked to hear my father in law didn’t know what/where his prostate is ( he got a massive shock when he had a physical exam recently).

How do you reach older people who don’t really use the internet?

At a societal level, what changes would improve men’s health?

Do you offer guidance to parents on how to talk to children about their health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Do you think more could or should be done about screening programmes for male-specific cancers? Is there anything like the very widely advertised and high uptake breast and cervical cancer screening programmes (which are obviously not perfect) for the likes of prostate or testicular cancer? If not, why not, and what might be the challenges of rolling them out?

Does mental health fall under your remit? If not why not, and if so I have A LOT of follow up questions.

Do ye do much to target specifically men in hard to reach or minority communities, such as travellers, asylum seekers, drug users, the homeless etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Men are more likely than women (11% versus 8%) to drink in excess of the recommended weekly limit (17 standard drinks for men and 11 for women) and to binge drink (38% men and 17% women). [/COLOR]

This seemed really low until I read what the recommended limit was, which seems quite high!

On a different matter, what are your thoughts on changes to PE in the Leaving Cert cycle and the banning of activities in school yards? Has there been any pushback against PE becoming more optional (or less activity based, at least) and lunchtimes being completely written off as a time for activity?

Any time there is publicity about a women's health issue or International Women's Day, there is a rebuttal of "What about men...?" How do you get those people to get more involved in the days and times of awareness that are available to them?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnnoyedWithRTE

Have you noticed a new trend, that many doctors have changed their policy and no longer recommend the routine checking for PSA levels in an annual checkup for men with no symptoms of prostate cancer, what is your view on routine PSA testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Do you think that long commute times have an impact on men's health since they are more likely to be the one's commuting from rural areas to work in the cities?
    Our local GP has a lot of patients, mainly male that have stress-related symptoms from commuting. Is this seen as a national problem?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for all the questions and answers on this one, hoepfully some of you gentlemen found it helpful and insightful.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement