Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaiety Cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

They are the people who make the rules, Though it is a rule more honor'd in the breach than the observance, and that is because you can break it in the dark.

It's a bullshít rule.

You're paying to watch a movie there, not eat their food

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cinemas make feck all money on ticket prices for the first week or two of a film.. they make the bulk of their profits on selling popcorn etc. That's why it's so expensive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Slideways wrote: »
    It's a bullshít rule.

You're paying to watch a movie there, not eat their food

Bull**** because its unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Are people actually surprised or upset by the no outside food/drink rule?

Its a standard rule in pretty much every cinema in the country. in fact its a standard rule in pretty much any establishment in the world that sells food/drink that only food/drink bought on the premises can be consumed on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Are people actually surprised or upset by the no outside food/drink rule?

Its a standard rule in pretty much every cinema in the country. in fact its a standard rule in pretty much any establishment in the world that sells food/drink that only food/drink bought on the premises can be consumed on the premises.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't begrudge buying their food, if their popcorn wasn't more like stale chewing gum and their coke wasn't as flat as a cup of pisss.

• Advertisement

Feck sake...

54SNuV.png

The sooner the Omniplex deal closes, the better to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Basq wrote: »
    Feck sake...

54SNuV.png

OMG thankfully I seen this post as I was going to go tonight to watch it. Oh well, I might just drive to Carrick On Shannon instead.

Yep, going to Bundoran tomorrow myself.

The Sligo Gaiety page have confirmed it now:

7CP8Jh.png

Yep, going to Bundoran tomorrow myself.

The Sligo Gaiety page have confirmed it now:

7CP8Jh.png

What is the best cinema withing a 90 minute drive of Sligo? I mean best technically for audio and visual quality.

What is the best cinema withing a 90 minute drive of Sligo? I mean best technically for audio and visual quality.
    Asked the same question myself on FB... no definite answer as of yet.

Within 90 minutes - there's probably Ballina, Castlebar, Carrick, Bundoran and Enniskillen.

Probably venture to Bundoran myself - nearest plus cheapest cinema. Heard decent enough reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Asked the same question myself on FB... no definite answer as of yet.

Within 90 minutes - there's probably Ballina, Castlebar, Carrick, Bundoran and Enniskillen.

Probably venture to Bundoran myself - nearest plus cheapest cinema. Heard decent enough reports.

It's a nice cinema. Had to go there and see twilight there a few years ago, 2012 was being shown in an adjacent theatre room, could hear all the action music leaking through... Guess what film I wished I was watching???

T-Bird wrote: »
    It's a nice cinema. Had to go there and see twilight there a few years ago, 2012 was being shown in an adjacent theatre room, could hear all the action music leaking through... Guess what film I wished I was watching???

Twilight! hahahaaha unlucky.

Ive never heard an adjacent screen before, that is pretty appalling.

I would love if an IMAX opened up, I love watching movies in that format its amazing to witness.

I just googled and discovered they have an IMAX in Dublin. No waaaaay, I was in Dublin yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Feck sake...

54SNuV.png

Aye, a few of my mates were planning to head in tonight and spend our money there to watch it ... I'll wait til I'm back in Dublin so. Jaysus and its the movie of the summer too like!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I went to see Jurrasic World yesterday. It wasn't my idea to see it there, the people who decided on it didn't want to travel to watch it but did say they were annoyed it was showing a week later than the rest of the world.
    The movie started off with a spot light shining on the screen for the first few minutes until somebody pointed it out to someone that works there. then about an hour in the movie f**king froze for about 5 minutes! Twice! You wouldn't get that streaming a movie out in the stick these days!

Stopped taking online bookings on the website, and accepting credit and debit cards in there too..

.. deal's closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Hopefully not too long a wait until the takeover, excited for the place to get an upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I went to see Jurrasic World yesterday. It wasn't my idea to see it there, the people who decided on it didn't want to travel to watch it but did say they were annoyed it was showing a week later than the rest of the world.
    The movie started off with a spot light shining on the screen for the first few minutes until somebody pointed it out to someone that works there. then about an hour in the movie f**king froze for about 5 minutes! Twice! You wouldn't get that streaming a movie out in the stick these days!

That's scandalous.
    I went to a few movies there where video and voice were way out of sync, and another couple that the picture was like a vhs with dirty heads or something.
    Looking forward to the (hopefully) upgrade, renovation, changeover etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

ShazGV wrote: »
    Hopefully not too long a wait until the takeover, excited for the place to get an upgrade!

There was a cinema furniture fitting van parked outside of it yesterday evening. Refitting or measuring for refitting maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

There was a cinema furniture fitting van parked outside of it yesterday evening. Refitting or measuring for refitting maybe?

I like the sound of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Was chatting to a lad in there this evening. They're upgrading the seats in some of the screens but only with secondhand seats for the moment. In about 6 weeks a full refit is scheduled, new seats, screens the works. Fingers crossed we'll be up there with the best.

• Advertisement

oh wow that would be awesome. New everything is needed badly.

Just a heads up to anyone with a loyalty card too, was in at the weekend & was told that they'll be discontinued from the end of July/start of August (so from the sounds of it around the time the refit starts!).

I don't think they're adding points to them anymore, but I was told I have a free ticket & to use it up before the end of July.

Went to see Ant-Man this evening in Screen 6 (one of the smaller screens towards the back) and the seats were hugely improved alright... very comfortable!

Went to see Ant-Man this evening in Screen 6 (one of the smaller screens towards the back) and the seats were hugely improved alright... very comfortable!

I was in Screen 6 myself the other day (also for Ant Man :D) and it really is such an improvement. It doesn't hold many people but it's so much more comfortable.

I don't think they've started on the bigger screens yet though, was in to see Jurassic World a couple of weeks ago & still had to deal with broken seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭DenMan

They took away the drink vending machines I noticed. Saw Terminator Genisys last week up at the very top. I always liked those screens the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

So is nobody going to comment on the outrageous prices they've got going? I went in this evening and to my shock saw that they're charging €9.10 for an adult and €7.20 for a student after 7pm. Total rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

ryanch09 wrote: »
    So is nobody going to comment on the outrageous prices they've got going? I went in this evening and to my shock saw that they're charging €9.10 for an adult and €7.20 for a student after 7pm. Total rip off.

That's pretty much the standard price in most cinemas these days.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

More seats replaced today, jeez the old ones were a fair mess.

T-Bird wrote: »
    More seats replaced today, jeez the old ones were a fair mess.

I actually didn't even realise how bad the old seats were (apart from the obvious broken ones) until I tried the new seats & went back to the old ones. Such a difference.

• Advertisement

From this morning:

oFGmGH7.jpg

Advertisement