Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best usenet / newsgroup provider for UPC? /SSL vs traffic shaping

• 14-10-2009 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I think I have used newsdemon in the past.
    what service is the best atm for UPC? I have the 20mb, torrents are diabolical so I guess going back to newsgroup is the best option to actually utilize the connection I am paying for...

although ironically right now the connection is dead.. it lasted about 3-4 hours post install.. gg.

I think I might use giganews, does anyone know if using the SSL encryption.. if it'll defeat the traffic shaping?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is no traffic shaping of usenet on UPC, that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Go with astraweb. Less expensive and just as good as Giganews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'd recommend astraweb too. Currently maxing out my 20 Mbs connection with it. At $96 a year for unlimited downloads its well worth it.
    The $11 a month unlimited package is easily available on their site. The $96 offer is still being offered...just email astraweb.They normally respond inside 24 hours.

I'd recommend astraweb too. Currently maxing out my 20 Mbs connection with it. At $96 a year for unlimited downloads its well worth it.
    The $96 deal is here...
    http://www.news.astraweb.com/special...gufplhxfr2cwsw

Broken link.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Personally use newshosting.com's NH Unlimited package. SSL encryption, 30 connections, unlimited downloads, 406 days retention

The connection limit and retention length increase frequently free of charge also. When I started on this package it only had 8 connections, no SSL and only 200 days retention. It maxes out my UPC 20Mb connection. Average ~2.3MB/s down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I use giganews and easynews for the last 6 years, no problems. They complement each other, easynews is so handy for the global search and giganews for the long retention.

Then private torrent trackers for stuff I can't find on usenet. Don't need a rapidshare any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

don't want to hijack thread but also don't want to start new one as subject is similar.

What clients do you use, which would you recommend (for downloading etc.)?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'd also recommend astraweb. I use grabit and newzbin.com to search and generate the nzb files. Dead easy!

newzbin (no invites available currently) and SABnzbd. I'm newish to usenet but these work fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

docentore wrote: »
    What clients do you use

SABnzbd+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Newsleecher and astraweb. Was using Giganews, but tbh, astraweb just as good, cheaper + free ssl connections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

astraweb, alt.binz and nzbmatrix = :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

anyone has a spare invitation for newzbin.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

docentore wrote: »
    anyone has a spare invitation for newzbin.com?

PM me your email ;)

Astraweb + newsbin pro here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

What?! Since when did newzbin.com become an invite-only site. They're a paid membership site, do they not like making money?

I've been a paying member for the last 6 years, seems like such a waste for one person to use, if anyone wants my user/pass, PM me.

Is Newsbin Pro 5 still the best software?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I have 2 more invites left for newzbin if anyone needs one just send a PM! :pac:

All Gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'm with www.newsrazor.net, I always get full speed.

One other question, why do people pay to use newzbin? It's like paying to use google? Personally I use Nzbmatrix which is much better layed out and much like many others its free! A nice simple to use search engine is Nzbclub.com and its FREE!!!!! :D

I have 5 invites for newzbin if anyone wants one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just to add for software I use Newsbin pro also. Great software with auto download of pars if needed for repair and auto unrar as well.

What?! Since when did newzbin.com become an invite-only site. They're a paid membership site, do they not like making money?

I've been a paying member for the last 6 years, seems like such a waste for one person to use, if anyone wants my user/pass, PM me.

Is Newsbin Pro 5 still the best software?

They have been getting threats of anti-piracy groups so its invite only for the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I've been using newzbin and grabit for the last 4 years and it all works great.

I had Giganews for the first 3 years but switched to Astraweb in the last year. Just as good but costs a lot less.

I never really considered any alternatives for indexing. Which are the best free ones? I might give them a looksie.

Also if anyone needs a newzbin invite then just PM.

Oh and just to mention I'm on UPC also and have never had any major issues. Always maxes out my 20mb line if I let it!

s.welstead wrote: »
    Oh and just to mention I'm on UPC also and have never had any major issues. Always maxes out my 20mb line if I let it!

Same here..no problems connection or speed wise on upc. I'm wondering however if they enforce their Fair Usage Policy (warning letter if you d/l over 250 GB a month) with usenet. Or is that just for torrents ?:confused:

Same here..no problems connection or speed wise on upc. I'm wondering however if they enforce their Fair Usage Policy (warning letter if you d/l over 250 GB a month) with usenet. Or is that just for torrents ?:confused:

Usage is usage. It doesn't matter how you download, or what you download. If it ads up to 250GB then you've hit the limit.

Advertisement