Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minister for Health Simon Harris and family trapped in home by protesters.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Only the thickest, scummiest *****, often who don't do a day's work and who get everything handed to them for nothing, are the ones who shriek "de guvmt r scum nd parasites". And they would say it about any government. They don't understand economics or politics. Don't lower yourselves to their level - do some research, read your recent history.

I studied politics and history... and I work six days a week (because apparently that's relevant), and I still think Fine Gael are awful. Given half a chance, based on their election promises in 2002 and 2007, they too would have created the mess they inherited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

still, nice day out for the northsiders - hope they visited the Happy Pear before heading home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Would it be legally possible
    To just close it down and sack everybody.

Then open a new health service?

So we have no health service for how long

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'll take it for that money. And I'll do a better job than any of them has done too.

For a 100 grand?

You wouldn't be properly paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't for one second believe that this is nothing other than government spin to make Harris look like he is a victim of some sort.

Trapped in his home? Oh please
    Why is it so impossible? Scummy protestors do stoop that low.
    Billcarson wrote: »
    Spoken like a true brainwashed fg supporter. Fg and f2f are an obstacle to improvement
    Tell me what's so terrible about FG since 2011 so. An actual coherent summing up.

Brainwashed is people who can't think for themselves and cling to populist tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Homer wrote: »
    Yep the radio mod is a right hard lad I would guess :D

Anyway rather than drag this off topic, drop me a PM if you would like me to call to discuss mate.

Calm down you utter clown

I work six days a week (because apparently that's relevant)
    Of course it's relevant to mention when people get everything handed to them for nothing and then whine and moan at the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well that's just wrong. We're one of the lowest spenders on Health as a percentage of GDP inside the OECD. I think you may be thinking of per capita spending.

Read my post again, word by word, then respond next time, you're not spouting sh*te on a soapbox to a bunch of lemmings here, journal.ie will have space for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

hawkelady wrote: »
    Calm down you utter clown

Keyboard warriors unite... away to the AMA thread where you spend most of your time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You don't know that in the slightest.
    I'm confident I'd do a better job, I didn't say I'd solve the whole mess.

• Advertisement

I'm confident I'd do a better job, I didn't say I'd solve the whole mess.

Until you're actually in that job you have no idea. No doubt they also thought they'd do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Keyboard warriors unite... away to the AMA thread where you spend most of your time :D

Hey homo , grand so. Don’t follow me there though , there’s enough Shiite talk going no in there without you adding to it. Cheerio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Of course it's relevant to mention when people get everything handed to them for nothing and then whine and moan at the government.

It's not relevant. Ten months ago, I was on the dole. My opinion on Fine Gael wasn't less valid then than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Don't agree with protesting at his private home with wife and child present, but (and I've only the photos in this thread to go by) claiming he was trapped in his home seems to be a bit of a stretch.

There's a difference in being trapped in one's home and refusing to leave the house because a handful of people are outside with placards.

This is being spun by fgs well oiled spin machine like they did with their cries of Paul Murphy falsely imprisoning Joan.

Simon will do well to ride this one out, but I don't envisage him being in the job at Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Don't agree with protesting at his private home with wife and child present, but (and I've only the photos in this thread to go by) claiming he was trapped in his home seems to be a bit of a stretch.

There's a difference in being trapped in one's home and refusing to leave the house because a handful of people are outside with placards.

This is being spun by fgs well oiled spin machine like they did with their cries of Paul Murphy falsely imprisoning Joan.

Simon will do well to ride this one out, but I don't envisage him being in the job at Easter.

Unfortunately for them the Paul Murphy thing didn't do them any favors .

I don't think many bar FG loyalists will forget the money that just vanished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Regardless of what one thinks, there will be more of this.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Unfortunately for them the Paul Murphy thing didn't do them any favors .
    Ironically the only one who came away from the whole ordeal with any credibility was Murphy himself.

Certainly didn't do the Politicians nor the Gardai any favours.
    I don't think many bar FG loyalists will forget the money that just vanished.

True that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

FG have done loads of great things.

Try to stop just blindly buying populist bollox and think for yourselves. Only the thickest, scummiest *****, often who don't do a day's work and who get everything handed to them for nothing, are the ones who shriek "de guvmt r scum nd parasites". And they would say it about any government. They don't understand economics or politics. Don't lower yourselves to their level - do some research, read your recent history.

And it is absolutely correct that the mess they have inherited is not one that can be solved for a lot longer than eight years (if ever) - just because people don't want to admit that, doesn't mean it's not true. Don't blame people for damage caused by others.

I love my country in lots of ways but it disappoints me at times. This isn't a society like Scandinavia or Germany or Holland or Belgium or Canada, where people work together to improve society. It's full of selfish, self entitled dribblers, and as long as things remain the same in that regard, there's an obstacle to improvement.

The last line sums up FG nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

So we have no health service for how long

I appreciate your reply to flyingsnowball ....
    at this stage I just wonder if it isn’t a valid question?
    Could we just hit the reset button?
    The dogs on the street know what the problems are
    What’s the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Disgusting behavior. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Regardless of your political opinions Simon Harris has a right to a private life and right to feel safe in his own home. Not mention there was a woman still recovering from childbirth and a tiny baby in the house, neither of whom have anything to do with the mess that is our health system.

Simon Harris did not cause the mess he’s been tasked with cleaning nor has he killed anyone with any of his policies. The mess was there long before he was and no one person is going to be able to fix it just like that.

Anyone who things solving the problems in the HSE is as simple as changing health ministers or governments needs a serious reality check.

This was thuggery and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Are they getting sandwiches and drinks brought down to them by local by local businesses like the nurses? I'm a bit peckish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

If those wasters wanted to protest against "Austerity", wouldn't they be better off protesting against the minister for finance or the Taoiseach? If they did have a specific problem with Harris, they could have could have demonstrated outside his places of work. E.g. his office in Wicklow. They're choosing his home in order to intimidate his family.

There's probably no law against it, but it does show the kind of scum (them and their supporters) we put up with in this country.

Disgusting behavior. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Regardless of your political opinions Simon Harris has a right to a private life and right to feel safe in his own home. Not mention there was a woman still recovering from childbirth and a tiny baby in the house, neither of whom have anything to do with the mess that is our health system.

Simon Harris did not cause the mess he’s been tasked with cleaning nor has he killed anyone with any of his policies. The mess was there long before he was and no one person is going to be able to fix it just like that.

Anyone who things solving the problems in the HSE is as simple as changing health ministers or governments needs a serious reality check.

This was thuggery and nothing more.

No need to go near his private residence on a Sunday, that should be completely off limits, no question about it.

However, I'm struggling to see what thuggery was committed by any one there?

From what I have been reading it was a peaceful protest (even the gards say so) that dispersed when asked to do so by the gards.

We can also agree that it shouldn't have happened where it did, but trying to over inflate what took place is more of the same hyperbolic nonsense that went with the lies and false charges that surrounded the Murphy/Burton case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yep the radio mod is a right hard lad I would guess :D

Anyway rather than drag this off topic, drop me a PM if you would like me to call to discuss mate.

You can both meet after school for some fistycuffs...

Jaysus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No, it's Healthcare Economics 101. We all know that economic decisions made in the provision of healthcare governance will affect health outcomes and mortality rates, the issue here is that decisions are being traded in favour of middle-class votes, ie tax reductions vs appropriate healthcare.

You are aware the healthcare budget has pretty much doubled over the past 10 years right? How much bigger do you think it should before it's not acceptable to get a group together to protest outside a family home? :rolleyes:

You haven't a notion about healthcare economics.

People need to learn what "spin" means. Here's a start: it doesn't mean saying stuff that happened, happened.

Anyone who thinks that there was nothing wrong with what those scumbags did to Joan Burton are the dishonest ones.
    It's not relevant. Ten months ago, I was on the dole. My opinion on Fine Gael wasn't less valid then than it is now.
    Same sex marriage, repeal of the 8th, rejuvenation of the economy - all took place under FG. Never voted for them before 2016 myself but I am impressed by some of their work since 2011.

What I really would love to see is an actual coherent argument for why they are so terrible though. Soundbites about fascists from the 1930s or "they're right-wing" (they're as centrist as can be) or just "they're awful" - these don't constitute a coherent argument. But if someone has one, I would be keen to read it.

Protesting against "austerity" - lol, wrong year, clowns.

****ing idiocy.

People need to learn what "spin" means. Here's a start: it doesn't mean saying stuff that happened, happened.

Anyone who thinks that there was nothing wrong with what those scumbags did to Joan Burton are the dishonest ones.

The dishonesty stems from people claiming the minister was trapped in the house, and that there was thuggery taking place at his home.
    thuggery
    /ˈθʌɡəri/Submit
    noun
    violent behaviour, especially of a criminal nature.

That's FG lickspittle spin.

Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So standing outside their homes is a no go?
    If it's in any way violent or aggressive or if they enter his property then yes I agree it's not on.
    But if they simply protest outside his property then it's a bit different.
    I don't know much about the man but maybe it's impossible to get his attention by protesting anywhere else.
    Let's be clear here, I'm not backing these people just taking the other side, sorta...
    Does he have a constituency office, could that be located at his house?

And this is the sort of mentality you're dealing with, with these types :rolleyes:

Shock horror who is thanking all these types of post...defend the indefensible brigade unite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Omackeral wrote: »
    Some headline. Anti-austerity protesters have gathered outside the home of Minister for Health Simon Harris this afternoon.
    According to Independent.ie the Harris, his wife and their young baby were in their Wicklow home when up to 20 protestors arrived outside this morning.

His spokesperson said in a statement that they are all currently still inside the house and that the situation is ongoing.

"Minister, his wife and three-week-old daughter remain inside while they await the arrival of the gardaí."

Gardaí have reportedly been in contact and are on their way to the minister's Wicklow home.

The protests come following Harris being under intense public scrutiny in recent weeks.

Story here.

That's disgusting.

Advertisement