Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: would you choose solitary confinement or general population in prison if you could?
Solitary confinement 140 66.35%
General population (stay with other inmates) 71 33.65%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

09-02-2019, 19:55   #46
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Opposite could be the case. But in reality those in Arbour Hill or Midlands for the same crime will never be mixed with ordinary criminals. For their own safety or something.

Kind of laughable really when you think about it.

It is segregating sex offenders as not being criminals at all.
Ah right , I'm a bit confused.
I thought Arbour Hill was solely for sex offenders , Cloverhill remand and Wheatfield a mainstream prison.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 19:57   #47
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes
It is segregating sex offenders as not being criminals at all.

Totally agree.

Many sex offenders feel that they are the victims and that they shouldn't be in prison. Putting them in a more relaxed regime than regular prisoners reinforces the mentally that they aren't "real" prisoners.

Arbour Hill is the only prison that I have heard of that allows DVD players & movies in the cells. The main prisons do have small tvs but have limited channels or are restricted to the four Irish channels.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 20:14   #48
Mister Vain

Mountjoy is nothing compared to the prisons in Venezuela.

09-02-2019, 20:37   #49
Pauliedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnug View Post
Depends on the prison itself, Mountjoy is probably the worst in ireland. US are one of the worst in western world imo, Californian prisons are the worst for white inmates, East Coast not as bad. South American prisons are way worse though, don't even get a bed in most just a rat infested floor.
You're not a very good criminal are you. It seems everywhere you go you get locked up. Did you ever consider that crime isn't really your thing.
(2) thanks from:
09-02-2019, 20:43   #50
Ferajacka

I stayed there once, It was advertised as a 5 star but was a 3 star at best.
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 20:43   #51
eagle eye

Sex offenders can be on anything up to a life sentence but there is no death penalty in this country so they have to be segregated as it's likely they would be killed if placed in the regular prison population.

I'm keeping an eye to see the if anything comes of the investigation into Whitey Bulger's death in the US. It was pretty clear that he would be killed over there when put in the regular population in that prison.

Whitey was no saint as everybody knows but he didn't get a death sentence but somebody who is not a judge decided to give him the death penalty. That guy should be jailed for life.
If something like that happened in this country a lot of jobs would be lost.

Last edited by eagle eye; 09-02-2019 at 20:48.
09-02-2019, 20:44   #52
tuxy

So if Irish prisons were like the harsh conditions in South America would we have more or less people incarcerated?
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 20:47   #53
Shoesdayschild

A guy I know who’d have been no stranger to Irish prison got locked up in Australia shortly after arriving for dealing.
He’d have no shame in admitting he cried like a baby. He said you couldn’t even imagine how awful it was. Wasn’t long about putting a bit of manners on him all the same
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 20:51   #54
Odhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxy View Post
So if Irish prisons were like the harsh conditions in South America would we have more or less people incarcerated?

About the same. Harsh prison hasn't reduced crime in those countries and it won't here. They would, however, produce a more hardened lot of criminals.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 20:53   #55
tuxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
About the same. Harsh prison hasn't reduced crime in those countries and it won't here. They would, however, produce a more hardened lot of criminals.
Sounds good to me, exactly what we need!
09-02-2019, 21:01   #56
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
I dont think I'm alone in saying I'd love a stint in prison. Pure curiosity, like. Are you locked up all day? Is there a library, are there games, Is the soap thing true? Would be a great way of getting one's foot in the door with the Irish Times.

Tempted to go off nicking sh¡t from Tesco tomorrow. Let me know if ye need anything, boys.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 21:05   #57
Fiftyfilthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
I dont think I'm alone in saying I'd love a stint in prison. Pure curiosity, like. Are you locked up all day? Is there a library, are there games, Is the soap thing true? Would be a great way of getting one's foot in the door with the Irish Times.

Tempted to go off nicking sh¡t from Tesco tomorrow. Let me know if ye need anything, boys.

Good luck with that, would need to rack up at least 150 charges before they will even let you into prison here
09-02-2019, 21:05   #58
Spanish Eyes

Are phones and wifi allowed for prisoners?

I am guessing that staff can have phones but must use 3 or 4g at their own expense.

These days, Surely the biggest punishment is lack of access to Instagram., Facebook and so on.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 21:06   #59
Flyingsnowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post

Pulp - common people lyrics
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 21:10   #60
tuxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Are phones and wifi allowed for prisoners?

I am guessing that staff can have phones but must use 3 or 4g at their own expense.

These days, Surely the biggest punishment is lack of access to Instagram., Facebook and so on.
You can get whatever you want once you have someone on the outside to pay the money to the criminal gangs. Basic Phones are about €500 - €1000
Smart phones are much more difficult to smuggle in.

Old story but you get the idea.
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...on-309806.html

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion